Delay Alzheimer's Disease

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
SpunkyPup
Contributor
Contributor

Delay Alzheimer's Disease

Post by SpunkyPup »

I think this is the most important supplement one can use.

Life Extension Magazine September 2012
Beyond Sleep: 7 Ways Melatonin Attacks Aging Factors

http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2012/sep ... ors_01.htm
Starfish77
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Delay Alzheimer's Disease

Post by Starfish77 »

Hi Spunk,
I just came across your post on melatonin. What brand and strength do you use? It sounds mighty interesting
from the article.
Starfish
Sandraz
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Sandraz »

Wow. More great information. I had read melatonin production goes down with aging. Along with finding out I am E4,E4 there was a genetic test run for the MTHFR gene where I find I am homozygous for defective gene A1298C and have C,C copies. This gene has to do with making active folic acid and more.

There is a whole slew of possible effects one of which is trouble making melatonin when that gene is defective.

See this link on the MTHFR gene.

http://mthfr.net/mthfr-a1298c-mutation- ... 011/11/30/

Any idea how much melatonin to take? I currently take 2x3mg tablets by Natrol that are fast dissolving.
I notice that mg strengths seem to be increasing in the last couple of years. First they were 0.5 & 1mg and now there are 3mg, 5mg, and 10mg out there too.

Sandra Z
E4,E4
Sandra Z
E4,E4
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I always need to post my caveat about melatonin for anyone who has Rheumatoid Arthritis. RA patients show a dysregulation of the HPA axis, particularly early morning cortisol. Cortisol and melatonin do a very delicate dance overnight, and taking melatonin can be like throwing fuel on the fire for those early morning aches, swelling and pain.

Just sayin'... ;)

Perhaps its time to get up a wiki entry for melatonin. (My next go will probably be the larger HPA axis, so I can stub in a spot for all the melatonin info - but I'm still a ways from being ready to post. You know, life keeps getting in the way. :lol: )
Gilgamesh
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gilgamesh »

Hey Sandra,

I would echo Susan's note of caution about melatonin, although on the whole I think melatonin is generally very safe, and might be extremely effective in Alz. prevention (though we don't know yet).

The conservative approach, at least if you don't have RA, which complicates things, is to get your levels measured (which is a pain, because it has to be done at at least two points during the night), and then take an amount of melatonin that brings your natural levels up to normal, or maybe a touch above normal (that is, have the levels tested again...). For that purpose, taking more than 300-400 micrograms is usually sufficient.

But for sleep problems, more is often needed. Dr. Sadowsky tells people to take 8 mg. But the evidence that melatonin helps with sleep problems is actually not so strong (though the evid. that it helps with circadian resynchronization is pretty solid).

Timed release is probably better than fast-dissolving.

GB

P.S. Susan: Go wiki go! (But I know about life getting in the way....)
Sandraz
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Sandraz »

Hi Gilgamesh,
I just saw your response. :( Still figuring out how to navigate site but getting better..
I admit I am kind of nervous taking melatonin regularly. Recently dropped to one 3 mg.
Need to research the cortisol melatonin link. Bet I have lots of cortisol bc too much stress
last fall and winter. But this spring finally sleeping better and actually feel rested upon awakening.
So hard to know what to do. For example, does taking exogenous melatonin mess up what brain makes?
Or was that decreasing anyway with age (or gulp, beginnings of AD process). So does taking extra melatonin help
or mess up normal body processes? For now I am going with whatever makes me sleep ok then maybe decrease a bit.
Thanks,
Sandra Z
Sandra Z
E4,E4
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Sandra, I don't have any definitive answers, but I do take 3 mg at night with the full approval of my neurologist.

I recently consolidated a half dozen melatonin threads to have into/research in one place. Not sure if you've seen this thread...

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=72&p=3852&hilit=Melatonin#p3852
SpunkyPup
Contributor
Contributor

Post by SpunkyPup »

What brand and strength do you use?"

it is easy to produce so long as you get a pure variety..

read out age decline in its production..so doses increase with age and also time release is useful.

arthritis is dis regulation of the immune system so try

this is off topic but anyways you brought it up so here is something

"Eclectic Institute Larix Dietary Fiber Description
Larix™ is a water soluble, long branched arabinogalactan (a type of polysaccharide) from the Western Larch Tree (Larix occidentalis). This high molecular weight compound (main fractions of 16,000 & 100,000MW) is similar to immune modulating arabinogalactans found in Echinacea. Larix™ is a non-toxic soluble dietary fiber.

http://www.vitacost.com/eclectic-instit ... tary-fiber

it is in the comments sections

"Duck Dodgers says:
June 3, 2014 at 12:16

Basically…

FiberAid is a fine fiber for general gut health and feeding gut bugs — it has a higher molecular weight and the recommended dose is 4.5 grams/day. It looks cheaper on paper, but the dose is high and it doesn’t offer enhanced immune benefits (that’s not its purpose).

Larix ImmuneEnhancer AG (as an example cited in the paper) produces it’s Larch Arabinogalactan (LAG) at a lower molecular weight and this has been shown to produce a stronger immune response. Interestingly, the recommended dosage is only 1.5 grams/day.

Lonza’s ResistAid is a Swiss supplier of very high quality, low-molecular weight, LAG. Their arabinogalactan also preserves the bioactive flavonoids, and therefore has antioxidant capacity. Very good stuff. But they are just a behind-the-scenes supplier and if you want their product, you need to find a distributor/seller of ResistAid in your country.

In the US, ResistAid is sold as Thorne’s Arabinex, which is $40 for 100g. ResistAid is also sold as Natural Doctor ResistAid for much cheaper, $22 for 100g. It’s the same product.

Read that paper I linked to, above, if you want the details on why the molecular weights matter for LAG.

To see a dumbed-down video on why low-molecular weight LAG is especially good for supporting the immune system, watch this short cartoon video: http://bit.ly/HES2I9
"Goldfish says:
June 5, 2014 at 06:09

I bought FoodScience of Vermont Larch Arabinogalactan which claims to be from Larix ImmuneEnhancer (http://www.foodscienceofvermont.com/ind ... =300420100

), and yet the dosage on the tub is a 5g scoop daily. Should I start taking a 1/3 scoop instead?

"Charles says:
June 5, 2014 at 18:53

Having been doing this experiment for eight months, I can say categorically my body works through inflammation from exercise (“soreness”) much quicker than it ever has in my life, and I’m 62, and have been working out most of my life. Though to be honest, I’m not in great shape right now, and don’t exercise as regularly as I should. But I know my body, and how it responds to physical stress.

As a mundane example, I was in Manhattan yesterday, and walked for five hours on hard pavement in the heat. By the end of it, my knee was hurting, and both ankles were sore and starting to really seize up. I could barely get in and out of a cab on the way home, and I figured today (the day after) was going to be tough. But when I got up in the morning, nada, no soreness, no stiffness, no lingering after effects at all. I was shocked.

I’ve mentioned before that my general inflammation, as measured by hsCRP score, has gone from average to better than 90% of adult males. I have to think that has something to do with it. There’s very little residual or chronic inflammation for the body to deal with, so it can deal with acute inflammation tout suite.

I really noticed a dramatic improvement after adding larch aribinogalactan (LARIX) about a month or so ago. My whole body just feels better than it has in years. Whether that will have an effect on muscle building, I’m not sure, but I’ll find out.

http://freetheanimal.com/2014/06/embrac ... biome.html

Don't believe these guys well here is the science

"ABSTRACT
Orally applied nondigestible carbohydrates (NDC) have been associated with immune-modulating effects and other health benefits. The effects of prebiotic carbohydrates have recently received much attention, but other NDC have been reported to induce immune modulation as well. Many different effects have been shown on parameters of innate and specific immunity, mostly in animal experiments or in vitro. Data from clinical trials are limited, but promising studies have reported beneficial effects on mucosal and systemic immunity in humans.
NDC are fermented to various degrees by the intestinal microbiota. Therefore, immune-modulatory properties have often been attributed to microbiota-dependent effects, especially in the case of prebiotic NDC. However, some NDC have been reported to bind to specific receptors on cells of the immune system, suggesting microbiota-independent, immune-modulatory effects play a role as well.
This review aims to provide an overview of the published immune-modulatory effects in vitro and in vivo induced by NDC such as fructans, galactooligosaccharides, β-glucans, pectins, and resistant starch. In addition, issues related to the underlying mechanisms are discussed: interaction between bacteria, their metabolites and the immune system, as well as direct effects of NDC via lectin receptors"

http://www.dl.begellhouse.com/journals/ ... 96a4a.html

yes I'm trying it