Alan Christianson's view on ApoE4 and fat intake

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Alan Christianson's view on ApoE4 and fat intake

Post by TheBrain »

Here's a perspective about ApoE status and fat intake from Dr. Alan Christianson: The Best Fat Intake For The Top 3 Genotypes

Dr. Christianson is a Naturopathic Endocrinologist and the author of The Adrenal Reset Diet. But I know him as a thyroid expert. I'm currently taking his Thyroid Reset course. He's a 3/4.

Here are some excerpts:
High fat diets might be popular, but did you know that for roughly 20% of the population it can raise your risk of Alzheimer’s disease by up to 10 fold?
The APOE gene affects the size of our chylomicrons, which means that it changes how we metabolize fats throughout our body. It is true for our blood stream, as well as in our brain. So, fats and cholesterol are transported differently based directly on these chylomicrons in our body.

Think about it like this. When I think of chylomicrons I think of carts in a mine, you know those carts that sit on tracks and transport the coal from inside of the mine to the great outdoors? These are like the chylomicrons in our body which help move fats around. If they are too big, we are less able to get the “coal” out from the mine – it is all about size, which determines how well you move fats throughout your body.
If you have the 4 genotype, higher fat diets and higher amounts of saturated fat are not likely safe for you. They are more apt to raise the risks of Alzheimer’s disease, heart disease, diabetes, obesity, and stroke.
3/4 and 4/4

For this combination, it is better to be lower in overall fat consumption. Fat calories are able to make up 15 – 20% of your total caloric intake for these types. The best fat types are polyunsaturated and monounsaturated.
You might have noticed that the main fat types we noted for each of these genotypes included monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats. Let’s look into how we can get more of each into our diets.

We can bring more polyunsaturated fats into our diets with:

*Corn Oil
*Sunflower Oil
*Fatty fish, such as salmon, mackerel, herring and trout

We can find monounsaturated fats in:

*Olive Oil
*Canola Oil
*Peanut Oil
*Sesame Oil
I'm especially surprised that he would recommend corn oil, sunflower oil, and canola oil.

I don't see any medical references for his recommendations about ApoE status and fat intake, and I see no way to comment on the article. Does he not know about glucose hypometabolism in the brain of ApoE4 carriers?
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Alan Christianson's view on ApoE4 and fat intake

Post by TheBrain »

And Dr. Christianson includes in this article the following table about the risk of developing Alzheimer's by age 85, broken down by genotype.
Table showing risk of AD by age 85.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!
swampf0etus
Contributor
Contributor

Post by swampf0etus »

I have to say I agree with him. I followed LCHF/keto for over 3 years and I thought it was the way to go. I was a true believer. But I started to get a few problems and a lot of the "science" that was being thrown around wasn't adding up. I started looking the opposing science and found that it was much more sound. If fact, I was able debunk virtually everything said in favour of LC/keto diets. Basically, it's just pseudoscience churned out by fad diet book sellers and shills for the beef and dairy industry.
When I started looking into ApoE4 I realised it was LF that I should be following and not HF. HF seems to be very dangerous for ApoE4.
It's such a shame that so many of the LC charlatans have managed to infiltrate these forums with their misleading, irresponsible pseudoscience nonsense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by KatieS »

Swamp, can you tell us about what problems occurred for you when you followed the LCHF diet? In our forum, we openly encourage that since we're all different to observe our unique reactions to any dietary changes. Did you have lab monitoring that became abnormal?
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Chylomicrons most important in disease? I'm confused.
Anyone know the science supporting this? And I mean a reference article, not an opinion.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
buck3Maureen
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by buck3Maureen »

So confusing to me. I am eating a plant based diet and have been working on getting my blood sugar down and my cholesterol into optimal range. They aren't horrendous, but BS stays at about 97 to 99 even though I have cut out sugar, almost all processed foods and don't eat any wheat. Cholesterol came down from about 244 total to about 210 and wouldn't budge. THen I read that saturated fat was bad so I cut out the coconut oil. I was so happy to see my total cholesterol drop 30 points to 180 something, until I read in a Mercola article that it was OK to have high cholesterol and sat fats weren't bad for you. I was starting to add back that fat when my doctor, who I like, told me that for APoe4 sat fats are bad. So is it because they don't spend a lot of money on studies associated with diet that there is so much controversy. Sorry just venting.
swampf0etus
Contributor
Contributor

Post by swampf0etus »

It is not ok to have high cholesterol. Dr Mercola is yet another charlatan of the saturated fat apologist/cholesterol denialism crowd. There are good reasons why he's featured on the Quack Watch website.

Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

It is not ok to have high cholesterol.
...and yet those with high cholesterol and low LDL-P have the lowest risk of CVD :?.
LDL-P-and-LDL-C-Discordance.jpg
"Cholesterol" alone tells us very little with regards to CVD and AD risk. To suggest differently is an oversimplification.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
swampf0etus
Contributor
Contributor

Post by swampf0etus »

There is no better predictor for CVD than LDL-C. Parrot the deniers all you want. I fell for their junk hook, line and sinker. Now I've seen the other side and I don't believe it anymore. Not a word. Don't let the deniers and charlatans play games with your heart (or brain). They push nothing but pseudoscience. Do you really think that thousands of scientists, some of them Nobel prize winners, across the globe, all working hard over several decades to find the worlds no. 1 killer, all got it wrong? And that a few misleading charlatans, fad diet sellers and beef industry shills, have the real answer? I think not.

Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

It sounds like you've had a bad experience, swampFOetus. Have you had a CVD event or a bad test result? Please share so that we can learn from you.
There is no better predictor for CVD than LDL-C. Parrot the deniers all you want.
I'm not parroting a denier, I'm citing research. Can you provide us with a study that exemplifies your position?