awake for colonoscopy?

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
J11
Contributor
Contributor

Re: awake for colonoscopy?

Post by J11 »

Would the Pillcam be an alternative?
Sounds like a few on the forum would be more than happy to make that substitution.
Gilgamesh
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gilgamesh »

Typically, to get a visual on the whole mouth to anus route, an upper, a lower, AND a pillcam is done. The pillcam covers what can't (easily!) be reached from either end via scopes.
progranulindefect
Contributor
Contributor

Post by progranulindefect »

Anyone know anything about a virtual colonoscopy?
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Pro, I'm considering it. It's not covered by insurance, and they can't "fix" anything they find along the way. But I have no family history of colon cancer or polyps, so I think it might be the ticket to give me and my doctor peace of mind. I had such a bad response to the anesthetic last time, and I'd like to avoid that.
ru442
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ru442 »

Ugh.... my Lipidologist is bugging me to get this done, no family history but his advise was basically do what you know you can control, and this is one you can (as opposed to APOE4/4!!). Now you guys are scarin me with the sedative talk! I don't think I could do it with out them... wonder if they will allow me to choose??
Male 4/4 56 yrs., "Live, Laugh, Love"
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

Pillcam and virtual colonoscopy still need GI prep to be accurate. Is Pillcam ready for prime time? Virtual colonscopy is CT which involves radiation. Neither pillcam or CT can remove tissue; if anything looks suspicious, a colonoscopy with 2nd prep is needed. The stool DNA test is intriguing, last I heard only covered (paid for) by Medicare (in US). However, it appears as though it has lower sensitivity for finding the worst cancers. Many options, all with pros and cons.
Slacker
E4/E4
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

Just to add some additional color commentary:
I think it's not just the "corners" or width of the abdomen that leads to pain. I have diverticulosis, which was only identified during my first colonoscopy. During the second in 2015, with IV pain medication in place, I quickly had intense pain (think strong labor pains plus ice-pick) and was immediately sedated completely. When I woke up I was told that the diverticulosis causes significant narrowing and therefore significant pain. So even though I too have a pretty high pain threshold, I think it pays to be ready to accept some medication if needed. I was clear-headed immediately afterwards).

And Katie, while I hate the prep also, I would strongly urge anyone to follow-through on the recommended schedule. I had two small benign polyps removed the first time, and thought no big deal. In 2015, I found out that I had a large rectal polyp (two words you never want to hear uttered together just from the embarrassment factor). I hadn't "done" anything that would cause that; just more genes from both sides of the family two generations back. I was lucky to have a great colorectal surgeon who did a minimally invasive procedure under general anesthesia two weeks later and was able to take a long walk in the park (literally) the next day. (It could have waited a bit, but he was Irish and took pity on the fact that we had a trip to Ireland scheduled two months out!) If left alone, this polyp could have become cancerous without me ever having obvious symptoms. So I will cheerfully have the next colonoscopy, with sedation dialed "high" next January!
4/4 and still an optimist!
KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by KatieS »

NF52, I didn't mind the prep and will adhere to recommended follow-ups as should we all.My only complaint was the IV inproperly inserted by a student, so the procedure was without sedation. Just a reminder, if you think an IV might be a problem, speak up.
DianaChapman
Contributor
Contributor

Post by DianaChapman »

I have had two colonoscopies without any drugs. I remember the first being a breeze with very little pain. There was much more discomfort the second time around but used my breathing practice and was able to manage through. I can imagine many would be fine without drugs and others might find the intensity (if it is) overwhelming.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

With chronic, bilateral hip bursitis (very swollen bursas) I can't wrap my brain around being on my side for this procedure. It could also do a major number on my broken back. I did the Cologuard and my US insurance covered it. Not a perfect solution. Hope it all works out in the long run. I don't think my risk factors are high from a lifestyle perspective, but my great uncle died of colon cancer.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.