Oral Hygiene and Alzheimers

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Silverlining
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Oral Hygiene and Alzheimers

Post by Silverlining »

I believe good oral hygiene is preventative medicine for heart and brain health. I have a regimen of brushing with electric toothbrush, then floss and finish up with a water pik, twice a day. It's not easy instilling new habits; however this routine really only takes a couple of minutes each day and I personally believe the payoff is enormous for the time investment. Here is an excerpt on a recent article on oral hygiene and Alzheimers:

"Oral bacteria from poor dental hygiene have been linked to brain tissue degeneration, according to new evidence from an international team of researchers, including one at the University of Florida College of Dentistry.

UF’s Lakshmyya Kesavalu, an associate professor in the College of Dentistry department of periodontology, and researchers from the University of Central Lancashire and The Blizzard Institute in the United Kingdom examined samples from the brains of patients with and without dementia.

Lipopolysaccharide, a component of Porphyromonas gingivalis, an oral bacterium, was found in four out of 10 Alzheimer’s disease brain samples. It was not found in any samples from the brains of people who did not have Alzheimer’s disease."

http://www.biosciencetechnology.com/new ... nIwmhDOQs0
Ski
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Oral Hygiene and Alzheimers

Post by Ski »

Poor oral hygiene is also implicated in other diseases. Good to stay on top of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thirties Child
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Thirties Child »

Oral hygiene is particularly difficult for those who are non-secretors, and I suspect being a non-secretor can be an even bigger problem for an APOE 4. Non-secretors don't secrete antigens into their saliva or mucus, which means they don't have the first line of defense - the bacteria comes into the mouth and the saliva can't kill it - instant periodontal disease, and who knows what else. I've combed the Internet for information on being a non-secretor because my husband, Shikar, and I suspect three of our four children, are non-secretors. They have lousy immune systems and major dental problems.

23andMe tests for this, but you have to look to find it. Check Norovirus under Traits; if you are immune you are a non-secretor. You have to follow the link and read the small print to figure it out but immunity is all you need to know.
sarahb12
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by sarahb12 »

There must be more factors. I'm a non-secretor and don't have too much trouble with my teeth. While good oral hygiene is important and the first thing anyone should try, there is more going on in the health arena with some people. For example, higher blood sugar. I think it is disheartening for people struggling with bad teeth to have to face the accusation that it is their hygiene.
E3/E4