General Anesthesia & ApoE4

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Ski
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: General Anesthesia & ApoE4

Post by Ski »

Good luck Julie, hoping for the best!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gilgamesh
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gilgamesh »

Good luck my friend! I'm sure it will go smoothly. Update us when you can.

Un abrazo
GB
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

We'll be sending good thoughts your way! You're doing all the right things, so wishing you a speedy recovery.
SpunkyPup
Contributor
Contributor

Post by SpunkyPup »

Gilgamesh
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gilgamesh »

Looks like I may have waited longer than optimal for my hernia surgery. The doc I just spoke with say they would "strongly recommend" general anesthesia. I asked why and was told it was because it might just be too difficult/painful for me (the hernia is around the size of half a tennis ball). I said I could deal with it, I imagine, and the doc said, well, it's hard to know, and then we might have to put you under either way in the middle of the operation.

And there's the question of letting the surgical team itself feel comfortable! 1) I want them to be able to focus, and 2) I don't want them to have unconscious irritation with me.

But, main question. Just how risky is general anesthesia? I found the following information very anti-disheartening:

Choice of anesthesia

G

/anaesthesia/ (for other spelling keyword search)
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

I had propofol a few months ago and have had no cognitive issues.
I asked for no gas and the anaesthetist kept me under with the propofol
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

Stavia, do you have a sense of how long one can be kept under during surgery using propofol? As long as needed?
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

G, I'm happy that you found reassurance via ADDF's report, but the fact that you're asking us to weigh in tells me you still have concerns... I get it. As an ε4 homozygote who's had symptoms of cognitive decline, I decided that the risk was too high for me to undergo general anesthesia when there were other options available.

Have you explored an epidural or spinal block? They can be used very safely for an inguinal repair. A tiny drip of propofol can help relax you as you'll be essentially awake during the surgery. I also listened to an amazing guided imagery meditation tape designed for use during surgical procedures. Let me know if you'd like a link. Best of luck navigating this. It's hard to advocate for your cognitive health when you're already feeling vulnerable. XO
Starfish77
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Starfish77 »

Gilgamesh,
I had propofol with no problems. Sending strong good wishes to you as you make these important decisions.
((((((((((((((G))))))))))))))
Starfish
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

Let me give you a virtual hug, too: ((((G)))))
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!