Question about the inflammatory effect of dairy

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Thx4thegenes
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Question about the inflammatory effect of dairy

Post by Thx4thegenes »

I've been enjoying reading these posts!

Thx!
Jan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jan »

This is the most in-depth discussion I have ever encountered on the inflammatory effect on dairy. I will only attempt to add my personal experience, as there are many points in the entire thread that I still have to look up! (Kudos to all the citizen/scientists on the forum - I think you are all more scientists than citizens!) I consumed dairy my entire life, convinced it was completely fine for me. When I started studying nutrition, the great majority of sources I consulted were against consumption of dairy for just about everybody. When I was going through health coaching, I talked about the issue with my student health coach, and came to the decision to give it up, at least for a try. Shortly after I gave it up, I got my food sensitivity testing results back. My dairy column was fire engine red. (Cheddar cheese was ok, as was sheep's milk, which I've never tried.) After being off dairy for a couple of weeks, I started to feel markedly less inflammation. And even less inflammation after two and then three months. That was several months ago, and I remain off dairy. I have reintroduced yogurt occasionally (because I need extra calcium), and now seem to tolerate the small amounts well. I think the point about CAFO-milk is well-taken; I'm sure that's probably inflammatory for all. And A2 milk - I've seen it but have not tried it, but think I will soon. That might be an avenue that will be good for me. Thank you all for a most interesting discussion, with tons of new information I want to explore!
Last edited by Jan on Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
mrc cfnc fmchc
IFM/Bredesen Reversing Cognitive Decline training 2017
E2/E2
What is, is. What is, can be changed.
Russ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Russ »

apod wrote:Thinking about dairy in the context of a meal, it does seem like the overall effect would largely be neutral...
Just didn't want to let APOD's post to pass without giving it an Amen! We ought to be careful judging single attributes w/r milk or any other food. Whey, CLA, K2 are just a few potentially valuable components in milk. Overall effect might be negative for some and positive for others, but assessment needs to be in full context of not only the whole food, but the whole meals... or even whole seasonal patterns of changing meals over time?
Russ
E3/4
Eat whole, real, flavorful food - fresh and in season... and mix it up once in a while.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Just didn't want to let APOD's post to pass without giving it an Amen!
Amazing work, as always, from apod. We've grown to expect nothing less. Deep bow. He beautifully echoes and enhances Minger's perspective linked above. Casein is never eaten in isolation. Tossing out dairy entirely due to that singe component is like tossing the baby out with the bathwater. That said, after diving into this, I'm even more convinced than ever that carefully sourcing dairy is critical for everyone. Moving forward, my goal is to exclusively use sugar free, grass fed A2 milk from cows and goats. I fully acknowledge that this approach may not work for everyone based on Susan & Circ's experience.

I'm experimenting with making different kefirs now. I have a coconut milk and a goat's milk version fermenting. I'll report back...
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

I too have really enjoyed this thread. And would very grateful for an explanation of A1 and A2 milk/mammals.

PS. Do camels spit?
Slacker
E4/E4
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

They definitely spit. My husband got a huge wad shot at him after he stared down a camel :lol:. Look at page two of this thread for a pretty in depth discussion of the A1/A2 science. I'm convinced there's something there.
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

Juliegee wrote: Look at page two of this thread for a pretty in depth discussion of the A1/A2 science. I'm convinced there's something there.
My poorly worded question is much more basic - which mammals produce A1 vs A2 milk? (Question on human milk already answered by our resident maestro...).
Slacker
E4/E4
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Ha, sorry Slacker- duh. Goats, and most mammals produce only A2 type beta casein in their milk. All cows were of the A2 beta-casein genetics until the mutation occurred to give us both A1 and A2 types. Breeds of cattle associated with A2 milk are: Guernsey, Brown Swiss, Ayrshire, Jersey, Milking Shorthorn. Apparently, A1 cows are better producers so they’ve slowly replaced the original breeds in many parts of the world. Interestingly, France has resisted the A1 trend because they decided the milk didn’t taste good. Some suggest that this helps explains the French paradox- eating lots of cheese and remaining free from CVD and other chronic disease.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Julie, do you have any idea how fermenting (kefir) changes the profile of goat's milk?
Tiramisu1984
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Tiramisu1984 »

Great thread! I agree with Julie. I think the A2 impact is greater than people realize. I think it also explains why it's easier to tolerate cheese (manchego, pecorino, chevre) than traditional dairy (milk and yougart) because traditional dairy is all A1.