Question about the inflammatory effect of dairy

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Question about the inflammatory effect of dairy

Post by Julie G »

I'm working on a project (related to our focus) and wondered if anyone could direct me to a peer reviewed study that demonstrates the inflammatory effect of dairy. Many current celeb physicians focused on optimizing health suggest that we give up dairy because of it's inflammatory nature, but I can't find any conclusive studies to support this idea.

I also remember Westin Price's work in Switzerland and the experience of the Massai. Perhaps the lactase persistence SNP is at play in both of those examples. Or, could it simply come down to the quality of the dairy? If it comes from grass-fed, A2 cows, would that make a difference? Lastly, is fermented dairy (lower lactose) safer than other forms?

Dr. Gundry is opposed to dairy for our population due to it's effect on sdLDL, correct? Do we have any studies to support this or just his clinical experience... which is not easily dismissed. Has anyone challenged this with an N=1? The Massai and other traditional Africans ave a high prevalence of E4 and dairy doesn't appear to negatively affect their health.

My guess (could be wrong!) is that CAFO (Commercial Animal Feeding Operation) milk is inflammatory for everyone, but especially those lacking the lactase persistence gene.
Nancy
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Question about the inflammatory effect of dairy

Post by Nancy »

Great question. I've been wondering about this, too.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

A cardiology colleague of mine did her PhD on the effect of dairy on CVD and found it neutral. She was not funded by the dairy industry and was actually suprised by the findings.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

No help here. Haven't eaten dairy in years, so haven't done any focused research on it.
Nancy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Nancy »

I know this is not scientific at all, but I remember reading an article a long time ago where people around 120 years of age were interviewed. I remember a common theme among many of them being that they ate yogurt daily. It was in the Reader's Digest maybe. That always stuck with me.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Stavia, regarding a CVD focus, your colleague's conclusion echoes that of Dr. Krauss as I recall... or did he conclude a positive effect from dairy (cheese in particular) but the study was paid for by the National Cattleman's Beef Association and the National Dairy Council. A physician friend of mine, whom I greatly respect, cites the China Study as highly condemning of dairy (really casein) as a carcinogen. I haven't read it, nor Denise Minger's rebuttal, but BOTH are on my list.

What do we really have that demonstrates the inflammatory nature of dairy? I suspect I'm missing something big :?.
Russ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Russ »

Stavia wrote:A cardiology colleague of mine did her PhD on the effect of dairy on CVD and found it neutral. She was not funded by the dairy industry and was actually suprised by the findings.
Given that the A2 Milk Company is a New Zealand enterprise, wondering if your colleague's work included any consideration on differential impacts of A1 and A2 milk?
Russ
E3/4
Eat whole, real, flavorful food - fresh and in season... and mix it up once in a while.
ajc
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ajc »

My comments here are purely clinical observations on IgG testing I do with my patients. IgG antibidies to casien and whey in particular as well as cheese mostly cow and to a lesser degree goat are in most cases elevated.
Many studies only look at lactose. In my clinic its the casein thats the driver of inflammation in my clients.
I see patients with gasro intestinal issues and always use USBio Tek tests.
There is a book called "Devil in the Milk" in my library. Will get it out and see if it refers to CVD.

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk
ajc
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ajc »

Keith Woodford wrote the book Devil in the Milk

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Thanks, ajc. Your clinical experience speaks volumes. I'm actually zeroing in on inflammation, not CVD, although I understand the two are inextricably related.

Re. casein as a carcinogen (once again, inflammation could be at play) Denise Minger comes to a different conclusion than T. Colin Campbell here.
But back to casein and milk for a moment. It’s interesting that the only dairy protein Campbell experimented with was casein, since whey—the other major protein in milk products—repeatedly shows cancer-protective and immunity-boosting effects, including when tested side-by-side with casein...

Given all this, it seems unlikely that casein’s effects on cancer apply to other forms of milk protein—much less all animal protein at large. Isn’t it possible (maybe even probable) that casein has deleterious effects when isolated, but doesn’t exhibit cancer-spurring qualities when consumed with the other components in milk? Could casein and whey work synergistically, with the anti-cancer properties of whey neutralizing the pro-cancer properties of casein?
Good point, Russ. I wondered about the A2 and grass-fed effect of New Zealand cows myself.