Disturbed sleep & AD

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Jan
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Disturbed sleep & AD

Post by Jan »

That's exactly right, Circ, at least my understanding is that the glymphatic system functions ONLY in DEEP sleep. (I am by no means an expert in this.) If someone sleeps several hours, but for whatever reason doesn't cycle through all the stages of sleep, and in fact misses deep sleep - then the toxins don't get eliminated. (Again, I am still a student and by no means an expert in this.)
mrc cfnc fmchc
IFM/Bredesen Reversing Cognitive Decline training 2017
E2/E2
What is, is. What is, can be changed.
Jan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jan »

For those who might not be familiar with Dr. Joseph Pizzorno, mentioned by Lav55der in her post, he is the founder of Bastyr University, the premier Naturopathic Physician university in the nation. Anything he writes, is definitely worth reading.
(my opinion, of course)
mrc cfnc fmchc
IFM/Bredesen Reversing Cognitive Decline training 2017
E2/E2
What is, is. What is, can be changed.
jolicoeur
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jolicoeur »

floramaria wrote:Disturbed sleep is the area where I am struggling most. Have incorporated a variety of things into nighttime regimen in order to optimize sleep but still do not consistently sleep well. Since I have trouble falling asleep, I have used morning blue light therapy, Evening blue blockers , no food within 3 hours of bedtime, no computer use or exercise within 2 hours of bedtime, evening meditation and/or gratitude journal, supplementing with melatonin, tryptophan, ashwaganda, magnesium and medical marijuana (indica), sleeping in a cool dark room. Occasionally I get what I consider to be a good night's sleep, but that is usually on a day following a night with wretched insomnia, or after a day when I am physically exhausted from something like a full day hike. Have not yet had my hormones checked, and maybe that is where to look next. What have others in the community done to improve sleep quality.?
Floramania Have you ever tried to take collagen powder and MCT oil before bed? Collagen won't raise your blood sugar and these 2 could help you have a good sleep! Your hormones level will tell you a lot. Then you'll have to choose between not eating or sleep. Keep us informed. But it worths to try it.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach (FMCHC)
FMCA /Bredesen's ReCODE for coaches
AFMCP (IFM November 2017)
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

Thanks for the ideas, Jolicoer. I am placing an order this afternoon for everything anyone recommended (!) and will see how it goes! I already have collagen, but not MCT oil. What is the rationale behind collagen and MCT oil before bed?
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

some people report trouble sleeping taking MCT oil in the evening; it is too energizing for them. As you will read on our website, it's all a N=1 experiment.
Slacker
E4/E4
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

I don't know of any evidence around MCT oil promoting sleep. Is there any evidence?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

I've had a problem with waking up hungry in the middle of the night. I used to eat a small meal at that time. In an effort to support me being able to fast overnight, Dr. Bredesen once recommended I experiment with MCT oil at bedtime and/or in the middle of the night when I would awaken. I didn't actually try this because I dislike the taste of MCT oil, and I'd have to take it with something.

What ended up helping with the hunger was the ketogenic diet. I still do get hungry in the middle of the night sometimes, especially if I don't eat enough calories or protein the day before. But I have been able to go without food anyway.
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!
jolicoeur
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jolicoeur »

Floramania: the rationale simply put behind that is that less sleep increase hunger, reduce glucose and lipid metabolism, changes hormonal signals for satiety ( Dr. Saxena ). So it could help to try how you respond to take some collagen protein and fat before sleeping. Even if it's not ideal to eat 3 hours before bed, in some cases, things need to be seen differently, especially when you need sleep. Lucie
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach (FMCHC)
FMCA /Bredesen's ReCODE for coaches
AFMCP (IFM November 2017)
CarrieS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CarrieS »

Hello, I am an intern with FMCA also. In Dr. Jill Carnahan's discussion on Adrenals and Thyroid, she mentioned the following:
"Typically in the evening time then you want to lower cortisol. If the patient's having trouble sleeping, I especially do this for patients
who are maybe on a low carb diet, but they can't sleep, I'll say, "Add some good, healthy carbs back in with your evening meal." Typically what we'll do is something like sweet potato, or squash, or jasmine cooked rice, or quinoa, some sort of a healthy carbohydrate, not refined, that they can do with their evening meal. Some patients are significantly impaired with their glucose metabolism that they actually need a snack right before bed to keep them sleeping through the night. What happens with many cases if that adrenal glucose regulation is dysfunctional, they will drop their blood sugar in the middle of the night, and the cortisol will rise to try to regulate that, and they'll wake up at 2:00AM wide awake and can't get back to sleep. If you give them a little bit of snack at
bedtime, often they'll sleep through the night."

I've been testing out eating a yam or sweet potato with my evening meal for the past 2 weeks and have found that it has helped me to sleep longer and deeper.
APOe4/4
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Certificate for Reversing Cognitive Decline for Coaches (FMCA)
Certified Fermentationist
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Carrie that is very interesting. Alysson has had trouble with waking up in the night hungry and needing to eat.

LCHF is not suited or perhaps necessary for everyone - some tolerate higher carbs and stay insulin sensitive (YMMV), and I can see that some just don't tolerate LC at all.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk