Lyme disease

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Lyme disease

Post by SusanJ »

It's supposed to be a bad year in the NE and upper Midwest of the US. We've had a lot of passing comments in other threads, but I thought I'd start a thread just for discussing this.

If you don't have use bug spray when you hike, read this article. It will scare you into using it.

http://www.mvtimes.com/2016/07/13/visit ... e-disease/
Dr. Zubcevik said research has shown there are 10 different strains of Lyme disease in the United States, and many of them do not test positive on the traditional Western blot or ELISA tests. In a previous email to The Times, she wrote that with current testing, 69 out of 100 patients who have Lyme disease may go untreated.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: Lyme disease

Post by Julie G »

Thanks for the warning, Susan. Lyme is a big deal especially for those of us with susceptible HLA DR/DQ haplotypes.
If you don't have use bug spray when you hike, read this article. It will scare you into using it.
But, please DON'T use bug spray with toxic chemicals. I get decent results with a something safer called Herbal Armor that's supposed to repel tics and mosquitos.
sylvieJ
Contributor
Contributor

Post by sylvieJ »

Thanks Susan for the article and Julie for the tip on bug spray!
Korie
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Korie »

:!: I wanted to bump this thread :!: as here in Northern CA, the winter time is when the nymph ticks are most prevalent ( the poppyseed sized ones that are very hard to see). Prevention is key; walk on tails, wear long-sleeve shirts and pants, dry clothing on high heat for 10 mins after hiking, and using sprays and even clothing made with tick repellant can be great too!
Functional Medicine Health & Wellness Coach
Apoe4 Intern
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Good tips Korie! My husband hates bugs and likes Buzz Away. Probably similar to Herbal Armor.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
laurie
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by laurie »

Great post. Lyme disease is nasty stuff. I live on the east coast and Lyme disease is increasing. We also have mosquito born diseases which are a concern also. West Nile and Equine Encephalitis.

Here is another product to consider Permethrin spray. You can make your own clothes insect proof.

I am an insect magnet and have bought socks, tops, hats and pants that are bug repellent, such as ExOfficio BugsAway and Insect Shield. Sea to Summit also makes a netting you can wear. All these products have been a life saver for me! I spent most of my time outdoors and these products have allowed me to continue to do the things I love.
Apoe 3/4

"True prevention is only possible by first discovering the cause of a disease such as Alzheimer's."
Dennis N Crouse
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Another passing article of interest on Lyme and it's treatment. Since there is only one other mention of disulfiram (antabuse) on the boards, thought I'd share this.

https://www.lymedisease.org/disulfiram-kinderlehrer/

Not tested in humans, but if you work with a Lyme doctor, might be worth the discussion.