Lower Brain Serotonin Levels Linked to Dementia

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Jan
Contributor
Contributor

Lower Brain Serotonin Levels Linked to Dementia

Post by Jan »

From Neuroscience News: Lower Brain Serotonin Levels Linked to Dementia

Summary: A new Johns Hopkins University study adds further evidence to the link between serotonin and dementia. According to researchers, lower serotonin levels may play a key role in memory decline and drive the progression of Alzheimer's.
Results suggest serotonin loss may be a key player in cognitive decline, not just a side-effect of Alzheimer's disease.

the article:
http://neurosciencenews.com/serotonin-l ... Updates%29

the abstract: (full text is behind a paywall)
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/labs/articles/28511918/

This topic has been discussed on the site before:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2767&p=32467&hilit= ... nin#p32467
Serotonin and AD (November 2016)

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1070&p=11144&hilit= ... nin#p11144
AD preceded by non-cognitive symptoms? (January 2015)

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=847&p=8423&hilit=lo ... onin#p8423
A strange tale on supplementation (November, 2014)
mrc cfnc fmchc
IFM/Bredesen Reversing Cognitive Decline training 2017
E2/E2
What is, is. What is, can be changed.
apod
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Lower Brain Serotonin Levels Linked to Dementia

Post by apod »

I've read that higher serum serotonin can be pro-atherogenic or harmful to the heart valves, which has sort of kept me away from any of the precursors like tryptophan. I've also come across some articles (albeit from pretty-sketchy sources) over the years making the argument that higher serotonin can accelerate aging or be pro-inflammatory. Doing a little more digging, I came across this article:

"A less active brain serotonin system is associated with early hardening of the arteries, according to a study."
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 205220.htm

I might have to try out some of that fabled serotonin-boosting / sleep-improving / lipid-improving SunFiber. :)

This would be an interesting test to check (if it wasn't $200 bucks) : http://www.lifeextension.com/Vitamins-S ... asic-Panel
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

This confirms what Howard federoff and team discovered back in March of 2014. You can read the resulting thread here. Serotonin was among the metabolites found to be low in those who transitioned to AD.
I might have to try out some of that fabled serotonin-boosting / sleep-improving / lipid-improving SunFiber. :)
LOL, completely hypothetical. I think we have a dozen or so N=1s on the sleep angle. Join the cool kids and add to our data ;).
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Juliegee wrote:This confirms what Howard federoff and team discovered back in March of 2014. You can read the resulting thread here. Serotonin was among the metabolites found to be low in those who transitioned to AD.
LOL, completely hypothetical. I think we have a dozen or so N=1s on the sleep angle. Join the cool kids and add to our data ;).
I ordered some as well....I'm not sure exactly what it does but I wanna be a cool kid...
Sandy57
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Sandy57 »

You all are cool, don't need fiber to be a cool kid. Hahahahah

Good luck and happy do do.
Frank
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Remember, the sleep improvement was a completely incidental finding for me. Here's a great article that examines the evidence correlating prebiotics with improved sleep. Might be something to this...
progranulindefect
Contributor
Contributor

lowering of serotonin- cause of alzheimers?

Post by progranulindefect »

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/article ... 8.php#post

this was mildly upsetting as i came upon this article after opening a letter from the tax assessor. she was returning my check because i had forgotten to sign it. i have defects in my serotonin transporters, and my feeling has been that because of that, the natural drop in serotonin that i believe comes to all women with a concomitant drop in estrogen affects women with defects in their SERT genes more seriously. so this article has not advice or lifestyle recommendations. it said that SSRI's have not been helpful in treating Alz. i made a comment that any lifestyle changes that seem to help those areas that low serotonin is connected to- mood, sleep, lessening of hot flashes, memory - will be beneficial.
Fiver
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Fiver »

It makes sense to me that low serotonin in the brain (most serotonin is in the gut, of course) could build a path to AD. What I've wondered is: does this mean that SSRIs are helpful for keeping AD at bay?

Just finished Bredesen's book this morning, and noticed one mention of anti-depressants perhaps being a problem.
progranulindefect
Contributor
Contributor

Tom, in his book what does dr. Bredesen specifically say about serotonin?
progranulindefect
Contributor
Contributor

http://nationalpost.com/health/antidepr ... y-suggests

Is it the depression that leads to AD? maybe a genetic vulnerability that leads to both depression and AD? The SSRIs contribute to AD? A combination?