Ashwagandha, Curcumin and Other Amyloid Interfering Supplements

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Lucy5
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Ashwagandha, Curcumin and Other Amyloid Interfering Supplements

Post by Lucy5 »

We'll share notes, sister circ. So are you currently taking 2 capsules (1000mgs) of Longvida/day?
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

I take 2 capsules, 400 mg each, of NOW’s Curcubrain.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

Jafa wrote:Ditto. Today was the day for reordering my BCM95. Whilst I’m happy having fewer aches and pains, I’m not so sure regarding brain improvement. So have ordered Theracurmin. I doubt I will be brave enough to take the 180mg dose though. How about others?
I'm currently taking Terry Naturally CuraMed "superior absorption curcumin" 120 mg twice a day. Maybe I was only suppose to take one a day... :? Unfortunately, no improvement in my joint pain that I can tell, although I started it for brain health. I am also considering switching to Theracurmin. There appear to be many supplement companies offering this, from 30 to 300 mg per capsule, multiple price points. Never an easy choice!
Slacker
E4/E4
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

OK further clarification. The Gary Small research article we've been discussing states the use of "Theracurmin® containing 90 mg of curcumin twice daily".

Reading the label of Integrative Therapeutics Theracurmin HP (for example): 2 caps give 600 mg of Theracurmin providing 30% curcumin (180 mg). I'm reading this as one of these supplements taken twice a day is equivalent to the dose used in the study. Involves careful reading of all supplement bottles. I missed this on first pass...
Slacker
E4/E4
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

slacker just a heads up in case you haven’t seen it elsewhere, at least a couple of us have only gotten pain relief from the Longvida form after trying the other forms too. I’ll know within a day or two of using Theracurmin if it’s for any reason as helpful for my pain as Longvida.
Harrison
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Harrison »

I ordered Integrative Therapeutics Theracurmin because it appears to precisely match what was used in the study (each capsule has 90mg of active ingredient). I can't say I notice any difference between the various forms I took in the past (currently taking Longvida), but I will also check back in. One comment as to why Longvida might work for pain relief vs. theracurmin could be brain penetration vs. peripheral distribution. Depending on the pain (and hence the site of action), and different pharmacokinetics, they might be better for different things. Theracurmin might be the best for getting into the brain to reduce amyloid (if that finding is accurate).
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

My "New Chapter" Theracurmin, which actually turns out to be Natural Factors when you look at the box :roll:, only says 30 mg per pill. Darn. Guess I will take three at a time.

The box makes a big deal about how well absorbed it is and how you need less because of that... I wonder, does that matter peripherally? So what if you have to take more of another type to get the same blood levels? If peripherally it's impact is the same just at a different dosage, that leaves the questions:

1) does Longvida truly get into the brain and work magic,

2) if so, which is more effective at that, Longvida or Theracurmin, and

3) if they're equally effective, which is cheapest.
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

circular wrote:does Longvida truly get into the brain and work magic,
2) if so, which is more effective at that, Longvida or Theracurmin,
slacker wrote:Integrative Therapeutics Theracurmin HP (for example): 2 caps give 600 mg of Theracurmin providing 30% curcumin (180 mg). I'm reading this as one of these supplements taken twice a day is equivalent to the dose used in the study. Involves careful reading of all supplement bottles. I missed this on first pass...
Hi Slacker,
Like you, I needed more than one pass--okay, a bunch of passes--to figure out which version of Theracumin provided the equivalent of two 90 mg. pills of curcumin. The "30% curcumin" would be called "burying the lead" in journalism. They need an ad on the nightly news that starts: "provides 180 mg/ day, as used in UCLA study of "Memory and Brain Amyloid and Tau Benefits" !

And Circ, In the article, they note the pre-study comparison between an un-named brand of Theracurmin and the GNC Herbal Plus Stanardized Turmeric and Meriva, so the question of comparison with Longiva is a little unclear. But just before this study was posted online, this comparison and explanation of different brands was posted in Superfoodly. com (See link below(, which seems to show Theracurmin (regardless of brand) outperforms Longiva in bioavailability, possibly because its particle size is smaller?

Which Curcumin Supplement Has The Best Absorption?

https://www.superfoodly.com/best-turmer ... upplement/

It is expensive though!
4/4 and still an optimist!
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Is it possible they’re all bioavailable to brain and periphery as long as one hits the right dose for the formulation, and as long as taken with fatty food if the formulation does include the lipids??? If so it might help affordability. The answer is probably we don’t know.
Orangeblossom
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Orangeblossom »

Thanks for merging the threads JulieGee, I didn't realise there was an earlier one.

i have the Longvida one for now. It already seems to be helping although just started it.