Ashwagandha, Curcumin and Other Amyloid Interfering Supplements

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Ashwagandha, Curcumin and Other Amyloid Interfering Supplements

Post by slacker »

NewRon wrote:Just a quick point: when I added Curcubrain 400mg to my stack (includes 2g DHA, 100mg Pycnogenol, 200mg GrapeSeed Extract) I began to cut myself shaving every day I and the bleeding took a while to stop. I've reduced the intake of all of the above.

Just be cautious, it's not often what's going on on the inside manifests on the outside. I was lucky.

Comments welcome.
I had some easy bleeding (at acupuncture points, once resulting in quail egg sized hematoma) as well. My easy bleeding resolved by decreasing my amount of DHA rather than cutting back on the Curamed curcumin. Perhaps cutting back on either would have done the trick.
Slacker
E4/E4
NewRon
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by NewRon »

Interesting.

I've reduced both. Now DHA only on no fish days and I alternate the Curamed with the Pycnogenol.

Thoughts?
Apo E4/E4, Male, Age 60
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

NewRon wrote:Interesting.

I've reduced both. Now DHA only on no fish days and I alternate the Curamed with the Pycnogenol.

Thoughts?
I may not be interpreting your question as intended, but...
Here's a thread that you may find interesting about alternating polyphenol supplements. Another area of uncertainty, but great discussion.

It makes sense to me to supplement DHA only on the days you don't eat fish, especially if you are in prevention mode and not trying to reverse cognitive decline.
Slacker
E4/E4
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

I'm jumping on board with the Theracumin. I've found Swanson's High Absorption Theracurmin. I'm trying to understand the supplement facts. So it's 100 mg of tumeric root extract, with 27% Theracumin. Does that mean that in one capsule I'd be getting 27 mg of Theracumin? If so, wouldn't that be too low of a daily dose?
High Absorption Theracurmin Supplement Facts.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

I've read this thread AGAIN. I believe I can correctly answer by own questions. Yes, I'd be getting just 27 mg of Theracumin per capsule. Yes, it would be too low of a daily dose. I'm going with Integrative Therapeutics - Theracurmin HP. It's a much better deal.
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

TheBrain wrote:I've read this thread AGAIN. I believe I can correctly answer by own questions. Yes, I'd be getting just 27 mg of Theracumin per capsule. Yes, it would be too low of a daily dose. I'm going with Integrative Therapeutics - Theracurmin HP. It's a much better deal.
For what it's worth, I agree with your interpretation. ;)
Slacker
E4/E4
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

It's worth a lot. Thanks, Slacker. :)
KellyS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by KellyS »

slacker wrote:
TheBrain wrote:I've read this thread AGAIN. I believe I can correctly answer by own questions. Yes, I'd be getting just 27 mg of Theracumin per capsule. Yes, it would be too low of a daily dose. I'm going with Integrative Therapeutics - Theracurmin HP. It's a much better deal.
Ditto. I haven't went back too awfully far in the thread, so I may be repeating here, but have you gotten a chance to read this? I think that finally, more so in the past couple of years, Theracurmin is getting some well-deserved recognition.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25994138
Holistic Healthcare Practitioner
Functional Medicine Health Coach - Candidate
apoe4.info intern
NewRon
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by NewRon »

slacker wrote:
NewRon wrote:Interesting.

Thoughts?
I may not be interpreting your question as intended, but...
Here's a thread that you may find interesting about alternating polyphenol supplements. Another area of uncertainty, but great discussion.

It makes sense to me to supplement DHA only on the days you don't eat fish, especially if you are in prevention mode and not trying to reverse cognitive decline.
Interesting thread, thanks for that. It does look like we need to be careful with total polyphenol intake.
Apo E4/E4, Male, Age 60
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

KellyS wrote:
slacker wrote:
Ditto. I haven't went back too awfully far in the thread, so I may be repeating here, but have you gotten a chance to read this? I think that finally, more so in the past couple of years, Theracurmin is getting some well-deserved recognition.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25994138
Kellly, thanks for posting a link to this study. I hadn’t seen it, and it wasn’t previously posted in this thread. Theracurmin looks like the winner! I ordered a bottle and look forward to seeing how it works for me.