High blood pressure/AD considerations

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Re: High blood pressure/AD considerations

Post by slacker »

Some believe that so called "white coat hypertension" is of concern, since it may indicate that one's BP is elevated throughout the day when stressed. For some of us, this is much of the time. There is a device that monitors BP multiple times during the day, which can be very useful to see what's going on outside the office. Unfortunately, the service is not covered by most insurance, so the device is not purchased or used by medical practices.
Slacker
E4/E4
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

its real easy to do a crude version of a 24hr BP monitoring by using a home monitor multiple times during the day. They're not expensive.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
ru442
Contributor
Contributor

Re: RE: Re: High blood pressure/AD considerations

Post by ru442 »

Stavia wrote:its real easy to do a crude version of a 24hr BP monitoring by using a home monitor multiple times during the day. They're not expensive.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Yup... I've got one that goes on your wrist, very accurate and inexpensive ($25 I think). To be sure I bring it in to the doctors to compare their readings... its pretty spot on.

Sent from my SM-T377P using Tapatalk
Male 4/4 56 yrs., "Live, Laugh, Love"
Starfish77
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Starfish77 »

ru442--What is the brand name of your meter?
Thanks,
Starfish
Ski
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Ski »

Yes, its amazing how I can easily get my BP into the 150's when Im anxious. Ive done a couple days of BP monitoring before and its been acceptable within normal ranges. Thankfully, I dont have a very stressful job, as my sympathetic system appears to be pretty reactive.
KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by KatieS »

Ski wrote:Yes, its amazing how I can easily get my BP into the 150's when Im anxious. Ive done a couple days of BP monitoring before and its been acceptable within normal ranges. Thankfully, I don't have a very stressful job, as my sympathetic system appears to be pretty reactive.
Ski, does your diastolic number go over 90? How long does it stay up (the whole day vs one isolated reading)? If you can, take your blood pressure during exercise, the diastolic lowers, but the systolic reflecting your cardiac output will be high (but should be under 200). I'm similarly had reactive/ labile blood pressure & the exercise-induced hypertension, before the low-dose of the calcium channel blocker

Still it's time for me to restart mediation & reactivate the parasympathetic system.
Ski
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Ski »

KatieS wrote:Ski, does your diastolic number go over 90? How long does it stay up (the whole day vs one isolated reading)?
Katie, my BP has pretty much been the same since my 20's. I say that as it was probably in my 40's where I had a stress test with my BP monitored and it was under 200. No my diastolic doesnt go over 90. But its only momentarily that it will stay up there and Ive taken my BP even directly after a run and even then, it doesnt stay up there, it comes down normally after exercise.
ru442
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ru442 »

Starfish77 wrote:ru442--What is the brand name of your meter?
Thanks,
Starfish
It's Omron RelyOn, don't have model handy, it's 3 years or older so they may not make the one I have anymore. But it's still very accurate, 2 aaa batteries last quite a while, plus it has a good number of readings saved in memory so you can keep your own journal or just bring in to the Dr visit.

Bought mine at Walmart... you can probably shop around to get deals like Amazon etc.

Starfish77
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Starfish77 »

Thanks for the info about the Omron writst monitor.
ru442
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ru442 »

Starfish77 wrote:Thanks for the info about the Omron writst monitor.
Welcome... it's accurate and not as cumbersome as the arm cuffs.