aspirin and curcumin and fish oil?

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Sandy57
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: aspirin and curcumin and fish oil?

Post by Sandy57 »

Depends on which research article you pull up. Honestly it's that vague. Stavia any females in your family have a stroke? If yes I would not go above 1500. If no strokes, knock yourself out, go big.. But I would not go above 3000 if it were me. I take a gram, some days 1400. Sandy takes about 1400, however thinking about raising hers some. Again hate to always always be the guy who states, "this is not proven science yet". The study's do not prove that large doses are more effective than the recommended doses. In fact several studies say there is no benefit from supplemental fish oil at all, especially for CVD. Just have to trust you gut instincts on this one. For toxins it is necessary to go higher at certain times, but that is temporary.
Frank
NewRon
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by NewRon »

Clarification required here for me from the suitably qualified:

My understanding is that a stroke is a colloquial term that refers to either a blockage to the brain by a clot or suchlike and it also refers to a brain haemorrhage, where a blood vessel breaks.

Is this correct?
Apo E4/E4, Male, Age 60
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

From the AHA/American Stroke Association:
A stroke occurs when a blood vessel that carries oxygen and nutrients to the brain is either blocked by a clot or bursts (or ruptures). When that happens , part of the brain cannot get the blood (and oxygen) it needs, so it and brain cells die.

I'm the one who raised concerns about stroke risk via prompting from Dr. Bredesen for a VERY SMALL SUBSET of our population. You can read about that rare condition; cerebral amyloid angiopathy here.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Julie I noticed your link went to my post quoting a 2016 review that seems to link e4 to hemmorages independent of CAA. Wouldn't this make too much fish oil or combined blood thinners riskier for us even if we don't have CAA? I don't know anything about the relationship between hemmorages and thin blood, but I think of them as associated if not linked causally. Or maybe something else causes the hemmorage but then thin blood doesn't coagulate fast enough, or does thin blood have nothing to do with its coagability (is that even a word?)?
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
chrissyr
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by chrissyr »

also I need a little help understanding vascular dementia. my mom presents as having Alzheimer's, but an early on scan of some sort "suggested some vascular changes" as well. The neurologist said that most people have some sort of combination they now think (rather than just Alzheimer's or vascular dementia). She has never had signs of mini strokes. (My paternal grandmother who did have these was sharp as a tack).

So I'm not sure what to think of these type of vascular changes and how to avoid them?

thank you everyone :)
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Circ, there are many studies in that link. Can you identify the one you're referencing so that we can explore it?
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Re: RE: Re: aspirin and curcumin and fish oil?

Post by Stavia »

NewRon wrote:Clarification required here for me from the suitably qualified:

My understanding is that a stroke is a colloquial term that refers to either a blockage to the brain by a clot or suchlike and it also refers to a brain haemorrhage, where a blood vessel breaks.

Is this correct?
Correct. They are subclassified as either ischemic or haemorrhage. They are often impossible to differentiate clinically without a CT scan.
The ischemic is due to a clot that either forms locally in a fashion akin to a coronary artery blockage ie from atherosclerosis (called a thrombotic stroke) ; or a clot that travels (called embolic stroke) from the carotid artery or a clot that has formed within an effectively beating heart (as happens in atrial fibrillation) or a clot that has formed on a damaged heart valve.

Then a haemorrhage stroke is from a burst blood vessel in the brain. Could be a berry aneurysm, could be associated with hypertension.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Re: RE: Re: aspirin and curcumin and fish oil?

Post by Stavia »

chrissyr wrote:also I need a little help understanding vascular dementia. my mom presents as having Alzheimer's, but an early on scan of some sort "suggested some vascular changes" as well. The neurologist said that most people have some sort of combination they now think (rather than just Alzheimer's or vascular dementia). She has never had signs of mini strokes. (My paternal grandmother who did have these was sharp as a tack).

So I'm not sure what to think of these type of vascular changes and how to avoid them?

thank you everyone :)
its basically generalised atherosclerotic aging of the little blood vessels in the brain. Also happens in the eye and kidney. Organs that have heaps of critical tiny blood vessels. Little blockages in these teeny vessels dont compromise a big enough area of brain to manifest as a stroke. But they show as lots of little teeny scarred areas.
Same causes as atherosclerosis every where.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
chrissyr
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by chrissyr »

thank you Stavia!
Sandy57
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Sandy57 »

Great clarifications all. My concern is recommending over 5 grams of fish oil. Wow. Also if you took 5 grams of fish oil and 12 tablespoons of EVOO, let's just say my mind is blown. Actually speechless. Then adding aspirin. I will check out of this thread because I do not want to have my negative vibes interfering.

Aloha Frank