Need Definitive Answer re Fasting/Coffee w/cream

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
maddanwill
Contributor
Contributor

Need Definitive Answer re Fasting/Coffee w/cream

Post by maddanwill »

Friends,
This question has been driving me crazy...does 2 T of 1/2 and 1/2 in my coffee break my fast? Is there any research that shows that autophagy stops with a bit of cream? My ketones and glucose don't change because I have done the before and after. I have searched and lots of people have opinions but haven't found any science. I have given up my red wine (whine!) must I give up my cream?
Thanks!
Bhinebaugh
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Need Definitive Answer re Fasting/Coffee w/cream

Post by Bhinebaugh »

maddanwill wrote:Friends,
This question has been driving me crazy...does 2 T of 1/2 and 1/2 in my coffee break my fast? Is there any research that shows that autophagy stops with a bit of cream? My ketones and glucose don't change because I have done the before and after. I have searched and lots of people have opinions but haven't found any science. I have given up my red wine (whine!) must I give up my cream?
Thanks!
I had the same question and finally just gave up and am drinking my first cup black. Then later when done fasting have a cup with nutpods cream. You actually get used to it. In listening to some of the podcasts with Rhonda Patrick, I came to the conclusion that it's better to have it black. Sorry didn't answer your question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Annabella
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Annabella »

Hi,
I recommend Jason Fung from dietdoctor.com as the fasting guru. If you are a member of the site you can ask him your question directly. Advice I have taken on board from him is "the best type of fast is the one you can stick to". For me that has been using a ketogenic diet as a stepping stone into fasting and then Doing a 6 day 'fasting mimicking' diet - of about 400 (hflc, low protein) calories a day for six days. I asked him whether I would be entering autophagy during this period and his answer was " it is impossible to know, the only way to know for sure is to do a water only fast".
From my reading about autophagy it often really starts to happen about day three of a fast? For me, at this stage I may find a three- four day water only fast quite hard - though I am open to trying. For now I'm going to stick with a couple more rounds of this fasting mimicking diet following the pattern of 25 days feeding- Wahls Paleo Plus, to six days fasting mimicking. Go well with your fasting :-).
Ski
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Ski »

Im a big coffee drinker with cream and just went black on the fast. My attitude was, if Im going to suffer this much, I didnt want to ruin it just because I wanted a small amount of cream. I found the black coffee a lot easier to do than the lack of food itself.

If I didnt suffer from such a lack of energy, Id do the water fast next time, but I dont think I can physically afford to.
Sandy57
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Sandy57 »

Aloha

If you ever read the warrior diet, by Ori Hofmekler, the answer is the half and half is ok. There are so many variables in that simple question, I will not go into all them right now. Very complex and at the end of the day; it really is different for everybody.

It also depends on your end goal or objective. If it is weight loss only, it has no effect because it all comes down to calorie deficits. If it is to control insulin, probably is ok. If it is to control glucose, your ok, if it is to increase autophagy; in my opinion nobody can definitely answer that. It is extremely hard to test on humans. Again the variables are extreme, including just when your body is actually in that state, how long it lasts and when it ends after you break your fast.

I want to believe that the longer fasts actually have the massive benefits that some are claiming. Not saying they don't. Just at this point the science is not conclusive and will not be for a while. This is a hard study to pull off, and why would somebody fund it. Who makes money from the results? No special foods, no pills, no special supplements, just electrolytes., do not need a book to get details, etc etc. Just not high on the funded research spectrum.

I would test both glucose and ketones, before coffee, and after coffee with cream. Then wait 2 days and do it again before coffee and then after coffee without cream and compare the two. However, again the variables are more complex then they appear on the surface. It depends on your daily calorie intake daily, the macro and micro nutrients you eat daily, sleep, cortisol levels, hormone levels that vary especially with women, so many things that have to be adjusted for and considered. But you can only try your best, and adjust for what you can. At the end of the day it is the consistency over time that will benefit your health the most.

Frank
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

True fasting = No Cream :ugeek:
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

The news my bro Frank doesn't want to break is that true fasting and autophagy require a loin cloth. Take heart, you're all almost there!
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
ru442
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ru442 »

Hey that's an insult for us daily loin cloth wearers!

Sent from my SM-T377P using Tapatalk
Male 4/4 56 yrs., "Live, Laugh, Love"
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Meant with the utmost respect ru ~ Namaste ;)
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

circular wrote:The news my bro Frank doesn't want to break is that true fasting and autophagy require a loin cloth. Take heart, you're all almost there!
OH MY! Now I have to search for a loin cloth too?
this is going to create quite a stir in my little village! :lol:
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health