Bredesen Protocol lab test: "A/G Ratio"

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
glimmerboat
Contributor
Contributor

Bredesen Protocol lab test: "A/G Ratio"

Post by glimmerboat »

In Bredesen's book, his protocol includes the lab test he calls "A/G Ratio". Oddly, when I try to find that lab test at the various online lab test sellers (True Health, Direct Labs, Walk-In Lab, Request a Test, etc), none of them list such a test. Looks like that test also goes by different names: Also known as: TP; Albumin/Globulin Ratio; A/G Ratio, Formal name: Total Protein; Albumin to Globulin Ratio. But even when I search those online sites for those terms, I come up empty. Could drive me crazy. Anybody have any ideas?
Tiramisu1984
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Bredesen Protocol lab test: "A/G Ratio"

Post by Tiramisu1984 »

It's a ratio, not a test. Sometimes your lab work calculates for you, sometimes you need to do the math. Albumin/Globulin. Good lucK!
glimmerboat
Contributor
Contributor

Post by glimmerboat »

Sorry, never mind. Finally figured it out. It seems for some reason the online lab sites do not index that Bredesen protocol test. But it can be derived if you order what, at most sites, is called a "comprehensive metabolic panel." In that panel of tests there is, among a lot of other things, albumin and globulin. So you just do the math yourself to derive that ratio.
glimmerboat
Contributor
Contributor

Post by glimmerboat »

Tiramisu1984 wrote:It's a ratio, not a test. Sometimes your lab work calculates for you, sometimes you need to do the math. Albumin/Globulin. Good lucK!
Yes, exactly. Thank you.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

I personally don't rate this test very highly. Globulin measures the amounts of immune system proteins which of course are raised if the immune system is reacting to an infection/inflammation. But can be low in an immune deficiency.
Albumin is a blood protein with many functions. It is low in malnutrition, liver failure and some renal conditions. Higher albumin isnt a problem as far as I know.
I don't get how this ratio can be an accurate marker of inflammation.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
jkramer65
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jkramer65 »

Hi. My A/G ratio is 3.1 -- which is "in range" according to Dr. Bredesen. My Albumin is 5.0. My Globulin, however is slightly lower than the reference range - 1.6 (range is 1.8 - 3.8 g/dL). Should I be worried? The ration is still much over the low end for the protocol.