Heavy Metals testing

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Anna
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re:

Post by Anna »

floramaria wrote:I think the mercury tri-test is great if you are trying to determine what your source of elevated mercury is.... ie , is it coming from fish or from fillings For me, mercury is not the big issue, while lead and cadmium are both very high.
This leads me to believe that the tri-test could be delayed until after another test (or history of significant exposure) suggests that mercury specifically may be a problem. I've seen at least a couple interviews with Dr. Chris Shade. He enthusiastically spits out all kinds of fascinating information, although a lot of it goes over my head. :?

In the meanwhile, I will be starting with the Doctor's Data pre-test (unchallenged) and TRY to get my urine pH high enough to do the challenged version. I don't know if this pH thing is just my doctor's unique requirement, but it's proving to be a bigger obstacle than I anticipated. :(
~Anna
4/4 but so much more
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Re:

Post by circular »

Anna wrote:
floramaria wrote:I think the mercury tri-test is great if you are trying to determine what your source of elevated mercury is.... ie , is it coming from fish or from fillings For me, mercury is not the big issue, while lead and cadmium are both very high.
This leads me to believe that the tri-test could be delayed until after another test (or history of significant exposure) suggests that mercury specifically may be a problem. I've seen at least a couple interviews with Dr. Chris Shade. He enthusiastically spits out all kinds of fascinating information, although a lot of it goes over my head. :? (
I would not have thought I was high in mercury at all, having only eaten very low mercury fish for years (salmon and sardines and shellfish) and having had no other known sources other than amalgams. But my blood mercury levels were high and I lowered them by cutting back on low mercury fish rather than removing the amalgams (maybe will get to that some day?), so the source of my high blood mercury was SMASH fish eaten once a day, sometimes twice.

Suddenly this evening I'm warming up to metals testing. I'm working on determining whether I have ADD and apparently ruling out lead is one of the steps. I guess maybe if my amalgam mercury levels are high I won't feel so bad about having the dental work; whereas if I don't see a high reading (any reading) I tend to argue myself out of it because of the cost. I have one tiny exposed filling I'm told will be about $400 to remove, plus five gold crowns to explore. I know one of those has mercury because it flew off one night while traveling and exposed a big mercury filling. Since I had no where to go to remove it properly, I paid to have it put back on so I wouldn't have the exposed filling. Then there are the root canals with small infections I'm turning my back on, and let's not discuss the four wisdom tooth cavitations! :x I might just wait for a head replacement.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

Anna wrote: In the meanwhile, I will be starting with the Doctor's Data pre-test (unchallenged) and TRY to get my urine pH high enough to do the challenged version. I don't know if this pH thing is just my doctor's unique requirement, but it's proving to be a bigger obstacle than I anticipated. :(
Hi Anna, My doctor did not mention anything about urine pH to me pre-test. Also, though I might have overlooked it, I don’t recall any mention of pH in the Doctor’s Data info that accompanies the test, so this is a new twist. If you can find out the rationale behind your doctor’s requirement of high pH urine for the test, I’d be very interested in knowing that. It may well be something important that my doctor overlooked.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

circular wrote: This leads me to believe that the tri-test could be delayed until after another test (or history of significant exposure) suggests that mercury specifically may be a problem. I've seen at least
I would not have thought I was high in mercury at all, having only eaten very low mercury fish for years (salmon and sardines and shellfish) and having had no other known sources other than amalgams. But my blood mercury levels were high and I lowered them by cutting back on low mercury fish rather than removing the amalgams (maybe will get to that some day?), so the source of my high blood mercury was SMASH fish eaten once a day, sometimes twice.

Suddenly this evening I'm warming up to metals testing. I'm working on determining whether I have ADD and apparently ruling out lead is one of the steps. I guess maybe if my amalgam mercury levels are high I won't feel so bad about having the dental work; whereas if I don't see a high reading (any reading) I tend to argue myself out of it because of the cost. I have one tiny exposed filling I'm told will be about $400 to remove, plus five gold crowns to explore. I know one of those has mercury because it flew off one night while traveling and exposed a big mercury filling. Since I had no where to go to remove it properly, I paid to have it put back on so I wouldn't have the exposed filling. Then there are the root canals with small infections I'm turning my back on, and let's not discuss the four wisdom tooth cavitations! :x I might just wait for a head replacement.
:lol: If you get a head replacement, circ, be sure your sense of humor gets implanted in the new one!
It was confirmed for me that I no longer have any mercury fillings, but unfortunately that is because in previous dental work they were all removed as I got crowns. My dentist at that time did not believe that mercury was an issue so there was a lot of exposure and I got a many doses over the course of several years. Hopefully that will come out in the chelation.
What is the. Concern about gold crowns? Is there a problem with them or is it only a problem if there is mercury underneath?

Also, that is quite a surprise and very interesting that you were able to reduce your blood mercury by cutting back on SMASH fish. They have been my main protein source and I’d been considering them to be “safe”.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

floramaria wrote: What is the. Concern about gold crowns? Is there a problem with them or is it only a problem if there is mercury underneath?

Also, that is quite a surprise and very interesting that you were able to reduce your blood mercury by cutting back on SMASH fish. They have been my main protein source and I’d been considering them to be “safe”.
No worries, having given it some thought, it's just my head being replaced. I plan to keep my brain connected to everything else :D

As far as I understand it, the only concern with gold crowns is if there is mercury underneath, but I think I read that in some cases, if you remove the mercury you may need a root canal, and then there's the issue whether it's safe to get a root canal vs. a tooth extraction, since root canals are bacteria playgrounds. So far I'm holding out from all this hoping they'll come up with some other sort of treatment. Like why are we supposed have to have all mercury amalgams removed before chelation protocols? Presumably to get rid of the mercury that will continue to leak into the system. But why not just live a detox/chelation lifestyle, broccoli sprouts and whatever else ... maybe eventually it will all be kept to a dull roar???

Sorry I don't have my serum mercury numbers handy, but it was a substantial difference. I can't guarantee, though, what with all the nuances around blood results of anything in general, that there isn't some sort of wide swing that's not due to reduction of SMASH fish.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Anna
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Anna »

circular wrote: Suddenly this evening I'm warming up to metals testing. I'm working on determining whether I have ADD and apparently ruling out lead is one of the steps. I guess maybe if my amalgam mercury levels are high I won't feel so bad about having the dental work; whereas if I don't see a high reading (any reading) I tend to argue myself out of it because of the cost. I have one tiny exposed filling I'm told will be about $400 to remove, plus five gold crowns to explore. I know one of those has mercury because it flew off one night while traveling and exposed a big mercury filling. Since I had no where to go to remove it properly, I paid to have it put back on so I wouldn't have the exposed filling. Then there are the root canals with small infections I'm turning my back on, and let's not discuss the four wisdom tooth cavitations! :x I might just wait for a head replacement.
Circular, that sounds like quite the project to make sure that your mouth is free of mercury and bacteria. I'm fortunate to not have any amalgams, but I'm not completely clear as to when one might suspect mercury under a crown; I do have a crown that has been drilled into twice to do root canals.

I have heard (but don't have any real knowledge) that there are dentists in Mexico that can can safely remove amalgams for a fraction of the cost. Maybe testing for mercury (beyond a basic blood test) would be a good start?

For what it's worth, the Doctor's Data test actually seems affordable. I have been quoted $99 for the Doctor's data unprovoked test and $129 for the provoked test (the same test plus electrolytes and minerals,which can impact results). I expect to get some out-of-network insurance reimbursement. The form in the kit has a place for insurance information.
~Anna
4/4 but so much more
Anna
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Anna »

floramaria wrote:[Hi Anna, My doctor did not mention anything about urine pH to me pre-test. Also, though I might have overlooked it, I don’t recall any mention of pH in the Doctor’s Data info that accompanies the test, so this is a new twist. If you can find out the rationale behind your doctor’s requirement of high pH urine for the test, I’d be very interested in knowing that. It may well be something important that my doctor overlooked.
I'll post my doctor's rationale behind the pH requirement if I learn what it is. Nothing is mentioned about this in the Doctor's Data instructions, but I'm just now noticing that the instructions say, "It is recommended that you omit fish and shellfish from your diet for one week prior to collecting the urine specimen. You should also refrain from taking non-essential medications or dietary supplements . . . for 48 hours prior to and during the specimen collection." I guess I need to wait a week. :(
~Anna
4/4 but so much more
Anna
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Anna »

floramaria wrote:Hi Anna, My doctor did not mention anything about urine pH to me pre-test. Also, though I might have overlooked it, I don’t recall any mention of pH in the Doctor’s Data info that accompanies the test, so this is a new twist. If you can find out the rationale behind your doctor’s requirement of high pH urine for the test, I’d be very interested in knowing that. It may well be something important that my doctor overlooked.

So here's my interpretation of what my doctor said today. . . My low urine pH probably means my body is struggling to detox, which could cause the DMSA challenge to make me feel sick. But it won't impact the results, so there is no reason to worry if you've already done the test and didn't check urine pH.
I got the results of the unprovoked test -- all heavy metals within range except thallium. The next step is to supplement, for one month, the minerals that were flagged as low, and then I can finally do the challenge test. I'm not sure why mineral deficiencies need to be corrected before doing the provoked test.
~Anna
4/4 but so much more
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Heavy Metals testing

Post by floramaria »

Anna wrote:So here's my interpretation of what my doctor said today. . . My low urine pH probably means my body is struggling to detox, which could cause the DMSA challenge to make me feel sick. But it won't impact the results, so there is no reason to worry if you've already done the test and didn't check urine pH.
I got the results of the unprovoked test -- all heavy metals within range except thallium. The next step is to supplement, for one month, the minerals that were flagged as low, and then I can finally do the challenge test. I'm not sure why mineral deficiencies need to be corrected before doing the provoked test.
Very interesting, Anna. Thanks for posting this which explains what is behind your doctor's concern about low urine pH. Please post when you get the results of the challenge test.
I am now about 1/2 way though my yearlong DMSA chelation process. Can't say I feel any difference
... except quite a bit lighter in the pocketbook! I hope (and somewhat blindly trust) that heavy metal chelation will provide longterm benefits.
Anna
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Heavy Metals testing

Post by Anna »

floramaria wrote:Very interesting, Anna. Thanks for posting this which explains what is behind your doctor's concern about low urine pH. Please post when you get the results of the challenge test.
I am now about 1/2 way though my yearlong DMSA chelation process. Can't say I feel any difference
... except quite a bit lighter in the pocketbook! I hope (and somewhat blindly trust) that heavy metal chelation will provide longterm benefits.
You're welcome, and shall do! I probably won't know the results until my appointment in March. I'm tempted to do a hair analysis on my own in the meantime, but I don't know how much added value there would be in this data point.

I'm doing a lot of things that fall into the hope-and-blindly-trust category, all based on educated guesses as to risks and benefits.
~Anna
4/4 but so much more