Heavy Metals testing

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: Heavy Metals testing

Post by Julie G »

Are you concerned about false positives with heavy metal conventional blood work? I would be more concerned about false negatives...or am I missing something subtle about your question?
Nothing subtle, I'm dumb as dirt here ;). I'm concerned with false negatives. So, Dr. Schweig recommended the blood testing first (to economize.) His plan was to go to more extensive testing (urine/hair) if anything looked out-of-whack. From your comment, his approach is faulty.
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

Julie G wrote:
Are you concerned about false positives with heavy metal conventional blood work? I would be more concerned about false negatives...or am I missing something subtle about your question?
Nothing subtle, I'm dumb as dirt here ;). I'm concerned with false negatives. So, Dr. Schweig recommended the blood testing first (to economize.) His plan was to go to more extensive testing (urine/hair) if anything looked out-of-whack. From your comment, his approach is faulty.
If you are dumb as dirt, I can't imagine where I am on the spectrum! :shock:
Who am I to say that Dr Schweig's logic is faulty? He is much more knowledgeable than me on in these matters. Hopefully someone like Stavia will weigh in on this...goes to show how difficult all of this is to navigate...
Slacker
E4/E4
AKA
Support Team
Support Team

Post by AKA »

and will be really interested in hearing what kind of test results you get, if you are willing to share that, and also the protocol post test
Flora, Here's my plan via Dr.Chapek after coming up high for Cadmium and Lead, slightly high Mercury in the DMSA Chelation test:
DMSA take 250mg/cap every 3rd day 12hour away from other minerals such as the Mitosupport and mineral caps.
Cleansing protocol:
NAC 500mg take 2 caps(1000mg)
Sauna 30-60min (SWEAT for 1 hour! :roll: )
1Tbsp Bentonite clay(Great Plains labs, or Yerba Prima)
Do this cleanse for 6 months then recheck heavy metals and mycotoxins.
*I asked about the script for DMSA and he said that it comes from a compounding pharmacy.
Last piece of the plan is to remove two remaining amalgam fillings. Sheeeesh! Turns out I'm a bit of a metal hoarder :shock:
Ski
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Ski »

AKA wrote:Last piece of the plan is to remove two remaining amalgam fillings. Sheeeesh! Turns out I'm a bit of a metal hoarder :shock:
Any chelating agent, especially DMSA, should not be taken until all amalgam fillings have been removed.
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

AKA wrote: Flora, Here's my plan via Dr.Chapek after coming up high for Cadmium and Lead, slightly high Mercury in the DMSA Chelation test:
DMSA take 250mg/cap every 3rd day 12hour away from other minerals such as the Mitosupport and mineral caps.
Cleansing protocol:
NAC 500mg take 2 caps(1000mg)
Sauna 30-60min (SWEAT for 1 hour! :roll: )
1Tbsp Bentonite clay(Great Plains labs, or Yerba Prima)
Do this cleanse for 6 months then recheck heavy metals and mycotoxins.
*I asked about the script for DMSA and he said that it comes from a compounding pharmacy.
Last piece of the plan is to remove two remaining amalgam fillings. Sheeeesh! Turns out I'm a bit of a metal hoarder :shock:
Thanks so much, AKA! Appreciate your sharing both results and the resulting protocol. Very helpful in giving me an idea of what I might be in for! (And providing an excuse for heading to the local hot springs where they have a sauna :lol: )
This morning Quicksilver Science called back and though NM was not listed on their website as a Direct Access Testing state, my earlier thought that NM is indeed a DAT state is correct, and I can direct order their tests. May do that. Or contact a Compounding Pharmacy for DMSA. Appreciate that tidbit too. Would have been great if my doctor had told me that...but then, one of the great things about this website is how we help each other fill in the gaps. Thanks again, and good luck with the Detox.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
AKA
Support Team
Support Team

Post by AKA »

Any chelating agent, especially DMSA, should not be taken until all amalgam fillings have been removed
Wow Ski, that never occurred to me and my doc didn't mention it either. Thanks for looking out for me!
AKA
Support Team
Support Team

Post by AKA »

Thanks so much, AKA! Appreciate your sharing both results and the resulting protocol. Very helpful in giving me an idea of what I might be in for! (And providing an excuse for heading to the local hot springs where they have a sauna :lol: )
Your welcome and that's looking at the bright side! 8-) Too bad I'm so far, I'd love to go to the local hot springs with you! :D
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

AKA wrote:
Your welcome and that's looking at the bright side! 8-) Too bad I'm so far, I'd love to go to the local hot springs with you! :D
Anytime, AKA, anytime! Nothing like relaxing in hot springs.
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

AKA wrote:
Any chelating agent, especially DMSA, should not be taken until all amalgam fillings have been removed
Wow Ski, that never occurred to me and my doc didn't mention it either. Thanks for looking out for me!
Didn't occur to me or my doc either. I have to have someone look in my mouth and see if there are any left.

Thanks Ski!
Sandy57
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Sandy57 »

Absolutely without question you have to have all amalgams out to do a full mercury detox. You can reduce your load , but never get rid of all he mercury in the system with metal in your mouth. Also you run the risk of pulling mercury from safer hiding places ; like your mouth, bones, deep fat, into more dangerous places like your BRAIN and other vital organs. This is the opinion of most detox docs that I have researched and is a debate among regular docs. If you pull metals into the blood circulation; they have to be sweat out, peed out, or pooped out. Again there are steps you can do to help yourself, like increase your Glutathione levels, but a full detox will only be successful without amalgams in your mouth.

Mahalo Frank