Heavy Metals testing

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Red Tara
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Heavy Metals testing

Post by Red Tara »

Alysson. Don’t recall the
Mold name but will check when I get home from the desert
Also. I wonder if the plastic from the portable sauna would outgass plastic?
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

It has been a long slow road, with a lot of tests of this and that through the past year. And now, at last...a likely toxicity suspect emerges.
Doctor’s Data provocation test revealed elevated mercury,arsenic,thallium and cadmium (into the yellow band) , but lead level was literally off the charts. Mine ran all the way through the red zone, and if the red zone were wider, it would have continued.
. normal range <2 , mine is 38.
(The lowest of everything they measured was the aluminum, for which I thank Laurie. Must be all that Fiji water!)
Doctor in NM is recommending DMSA 500mg 3X day for 3 days, then 11 days off, repeating this for twenty cycles.
I welcome any opinion on this protocol, since I have found this doc to be somewhat careless. From the little I have had time to read since getting the test results, it seems that some people with detox websites feel that binders should be added to be sure the heavy metals leave the body rather than being re-absorbed. I will also try contacting the Quicksilver practioners who are in my state , and see what they offer.
I am off to China in 2 days, where apparently I will have ample opportunity to increase my lead levels.
Will begin detox late April.
Your thoughts and suggestions are much appreciated.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
Kurt
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Kurt »

Hi
I’m in need for some advice regarding organic and heavy metals testing and any subsequent treatment. I’m a patient of a Bredesen Protocol practitioner (long distance). I have read on the APoE4 website that Dr. Bredesen favors Quicksilver. I noticed that the specimen package sent to me is to “Specimen Receiving Doctor’s Data Inc”. This doesn’t sound like Quicksilver. Can anyone comment on that? Any reason that I should not go to Quicksilver? I’m not knowledgeable regarding the process of gathering input, and then the actual treatment phase – just look at Quicksilver website? Other source?

I suspect that testosterone therapy will also be in my future. I have heard the word “chelation” for this (and possibly for the toxin process above) on my office visit. From a limited look (internet) at home, I did not come away with a very positive feeling about this. Recommendation, comments? Can’t say enough about this website and the volunteers – there is no other place to go for help. Thanks SO much for your time.
Red Tara
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Red Tara »

Hi Kurt,

I'm pretty sure that you are right, that Doctors Date isn't the same as Quicksilver. I've been tested by Quick Silver and another company I think is Genova but I can't confirm till I'm home from my travels. The one I think is Genova Labs is a challenge test (can explain if you aren't familiar with this) and Quick Silver is not. The results were quite a bit different. Just FYI I just listened to a series of talks by functional medicine docs discussing autoimmune reversal, who talked about using hair analysis. I could say more but want to stay focused on what
your question was and see how others respond.

Em
3/4
Red Tara
Contributor
Contributor

Saunas

Post by Red Tara »

Hi Allysson,

I'm still out in the desert and have had a very deep period of relaxation & rest. As I get closer to going home I'm thinking again about getting a sauna and like the good things I've heard from you about the High Tech Sauna as well as what I've read online. Would you mind if I asked you which one you ended up getting and how much it cost? Seems like it would be nicer to get a 2 person sauna so one could lay down or sit in it with my spouse. On the other hand the one person is cheaper. Have you had any problems with yours? Also, I like the idea of trying it out and read that the company can supply you with the names of health providers in your area to try out. Sounds like you already knew your provider who told you about the hight tech saunas.

thanks Much Em
Kurt
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Kurt »

Emm
Thanks for your comments. Being in the desert now sounds great! I would appreciate additional comments (don't feel any pressure though if you do not have time, etc.) on Quicksilver (including costs) and the other company if you think it has merit. I'm on a fairly short fuse on my upcoming trip to my practitioner in a week. I did find the following that did not have a favorable tone for DMSA or DMPS challenge testing - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3846974/. Of course I have no expertise on this matter and one can often find many points of view (driven by various reasons).
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Kurt, haven't done any metals testing, but here's the word from Bredesen on why Quicksilver.
But the other thing that we like is a Quicksilver. Quicksilver has done a nice job. This is Dr. Chris Shade and his group. They’ve done a nice job in that they will look at urine, hair and blood. It’s not a provocation test, but they are able to tell you then how much of the burden is inorganic versus organic. Of course, the inorganic tends to come from the dental amalgams and the organic tends to come from the seafood.

http://www.moldillnessmadesimple.com/mi ... -bredesen/
Red Tara
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Red Tara »

Hi Kurt,

Just a quick note as I'm leaving for the day. But related to provoked test for heavy metals, this was my experience. My
Nurse Practitioner does functional medicine and due to my illness she was searching for the root cause. She, instead of an IV
challenge test, she gave me some chelating pills to take and then with the challenge test you catch your urine for 6 hrs and then send a sample off. That test showed I have heavy metals. Then I went to a trusted Naturopathic doc who does chelation and he gave me an iv drip of chelators and I did the same thing as mentioned above. The results were 75 and 75 for lead and mercury.
the highest score you can get . I then started getting chelation and was very sick for awhile and then my health improved greatly. I saw online that a Dr. Pompa is against iv chelation but dr. Axe is pro iv chelation. here is his link:

https://draxe.com/heavy-metal-deto

Also, my integrative oncologist supports iv chelation , as do my other consultants. My integrative oncologist says getting iv chelation compared to the pills is comparing a teaspoon to a tea cup. But the issue you are dealing with now is which test to get.

More later, we are going out for the day.
Kurt
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Kurt »

Thanks again for you and Susan giving me your time. I can’t thank you enough. I did find the information you noted - a web meeting with Bredesen and Gupta. Sounds like Bredesen has used both chelation (assuming “provocation” is related to chelation?) and Quicksilver:
“Yeah. We recommend one of two things. There’s a provocation, as you mentioned. For example, Doctor’s Data has some nice tests for that.
But the other thing that we like is the Quicksilver mercury tri-test. Quicksilver has done a nice job. This is Dr. Chris Shade and his group. They’ve done a nice job in that they will look at urine, hair and blood. It’s not a provocation test, but they are able to tell you then how much of the burden is inorganic versus organic. Of course, the inorganic tends to come from the dental amalgams and the organic tends to come from the seafood.”
I also found a video with Dr. Pompa.
Here’s my currently thinking, assuming the current plan uses chelation in both identifying heavy metal issues, and the subsequent treatment (I could be wrong on this):
Go with Quicksilver for the first “stage” to determine what/if heavy metal issues I may have – this will avoid any unnecessary potential chelation exposure if no heavy metal problems are found. If treatment is necessary, I will have a little longer to sort out the options. Comments?
Any other comments on Quicksilver? Is it crucial to get a very skilled Quicksilver practitioner? I see where you could work directly with Quicksilver. Specific tests?
Red Tara
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Red Tara »

Hi Kurt,
Re: a challenge test or a Quicksilver test, I want to share that having had the Genova test (I will call my naturopath tomorrow and confirm or disconfirm the lab was Genova and get back to you btw) and the Quicksilver test, they each gave me very different results. Quicksilver didn't show high lead levels but did show that I had one type of mercury that I wasn't detoxifying (ie nothing showed up from on test relating to one this particular type of mercury.) On the other hand on the challenge test it showed lead as relatively high and mercury not so high. for what ever thats worth. I think its a good idea to start with the Quick silver if that is what you feel comfortable doing. Quicksilver is kind of expensive, the challenge test is less expensive btw.
I'm a recently retired health care professional so I opened a wholesale account at Quicksilver and ordered the test for myself. Then when it arrived I had to call one of my consultants who is familiar with quick silver and get the intepretation. So you do need some one who will either know how to read your results OR is willing to make the call and go over the report with quicksilver and then share those results with you. (you will also get a printed report with graphs) I tried to get my nurse practitioner to call them but she was very busy and kept procrastinating so I asked someone else who followed through.