Heavy Metals testing

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
CoachDD
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Heavy Metals testing

Post by CoachDD »

Doctor’s Data provocation test revealed elevated mercury,arsenic,thallium and cadmium (into the yellow band) , but lead level was literally off the charts. Mine ran all the way through the red zone, and if the red zone were wider, it would have continued. normal range <2 , mine is 38.
Greetings floramaria - I also completed Doctor Data three times now. . . my lead level was 69 in Oct16, 15 in May17 and I am awaiting the latest results - hoping for <2!! BTW, I also had high levels of: Thallium, Potassium, Magnesium, Copper, Manganese, Vanadium and low levels of: Sodium and Chromium.

I've been using a different chelation protocol - I see a FM ND and she prescribed Xymogen CheleX (2 pills 2x/day for 4 days) and Ortho Molecular Reacted Multimin (2 pills 2x/day for 3 days). Feel free to contact me if anyone would like more information on this.
Learning to Live (3/4)
Certified Health and Wellness Coach ~ Functional Medicine Coaching Academy
Kurt
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Kurt »

HI Em
Did you intend to do both tests initially, or was it due to the results of the first test? I kind of take it that you might prefer the challenge test (is this also called a provocation method?). I probably should take the method that is most accurate as my cognitive issues are slipping away fast (it takes me forever to create emails). I see many negative comments on the provocation method (sickness, someone I talked with the other day said it about killed her dad; on the surface, if I understand correctly, some of the elements you are trying to remove are actually introduced as part of procedure - ripe for errors?). I have not really heard much about Quicksilver and just skimmed some of their material. Of course this does not mean it is better. Is the Genova test another competitor for this type of analysis?

Analysis plan of Quicksilver results is not settled at this point - my Bredesen practitioners has not used it to my knowledge. So my guess we would have to involve a Quicksilver practitioner. Will it require training the Bredesen practitioners? I've got to go to bed now even though it is not late - little sleep the last few nights. By the way, will Medicare or one's supplemental insurance cover any of this? My Bredesen practitioners do not take insurance (although Medicare will provide some coverage for B Protocol lab items). Goodnight Emm. Thanks for your continuing effort.
Red Tara
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Red Tara »

Hi Kurt,

Good evening.
I think its great that you already have a Bredesen practitioner. I'd like to hear more about your work with them at some point.
I started off getting referred to my naturopath from my Nurse Practitioner. As I had mentioned, my NP first tested me via challenge with a couple of the pills and then did the test, which indicated some heavy metals, and then I found my way to Geoff Houghton my Naturopath. That was quite a few years ago. So I got the chelation from him for a while and then stopped. It made me sick initially, I think I mentioned, then my overall health improved and so I stopped getting the chelation.
I had cancer 2 years ago and have 2 autoimmune disorders (amazingly though, I feel great) and now have learned the great importance of totally clearing out the h. metals. I have a consultant who is also a pharmacist and really likes the quicksilver folks. I think he has met them at conferences and suggested I give them a try, so last year I did. I"m still a little confused about the mercury results and how different the results of the tests were.

I called Geoff Houghton today and left a message asking to confirm that the lab he uses is genova. Yes, they are another competitor thats been around for ages. As soon as I hear back from him I'll let you know. I'm interested in the Doctors Data lab also and will talk to Geoff about this when I return.
Although at this point you are looking into testing, I participated in a series of webinars on autoimmune disease reversal last week. One of the docs who talked discussed a system of heavy metals detox that i hadn't heard of before and says he's able to clear 75% of them within 4-5 months with this oral supplement. If your interested in some point I'm happy to share the info. with you.

Re: the gentleman who almost died from chelation. I wonder if he was getting treatment for his heart?? Some people get chelation to clear the plaque from their hearts.

They don't introduce heavy metals into your system , they introduce a chelator chemical that pulls the heavy metals out of your cells, bones, etc. so the issue if I understand it correctly is that these toxins are floating around in your system and can get redeposited if the chelator moves out of your system too quick. I may not be explaining this accurately. I'm getting kind of tired, so will sign off. Em
ashleybad
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ashleybad »

This is the company we used for testing- https://www.doctorsdata.com/

My husband's levels came up three times the normal amount for lead. Does anyone know what the standard treatment for high levels of lead is? Others have mentioned the "chelation" process, but if someone can send me a good reference link and if we can treat safely without using a doctor (because of extremely high expenses), that would be wonderful.
CoachDD
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CoachDD »

Hi ashleybad and Kurt - Not sure if you saw my post above. . . and to give some additional insight:

I did the Doctors Data (through a FM Naturopath) three times now and have been on and off chelation for almost two years. The provocation is when you test - you'll take a pill (I took two - DMSA) in the morning and then capture your urine for the next 24 hours (sometimes less - I only did 8). I did NOT notice any significant ill-effects from this and since I've been chelating, I have brought my lead levels down significantly. I'd be happy to discuss this in greater detail with both of you.

I'm sharing my results again: My lead level was 69 in Oct16, 15 in May17 and I am awaiting the latest results - hoping for <2!! BTW, I also had high levels of: Thallium, Potassium, Magnesium, Copper, Manganese, Vanadium and low levels of: Sodium and Chromium.

Ashleybad - while I certainly recommend chelating under the direction of a doctor, I'll share my protocol: Xymogen CheleX (2 pills 2x/day for 4 days) and Ortho Molecular Reacted Multimin (2 pills 2x/day for 3 days) for 6 weeks and then was re-tested via Doctor Data. My FM doc also tested for bone resorption since lead can settle into bones (which is NOT good). . . your husband might want to look into that as well. Thankfully for me, I am turning over bone and there isn't a concern for this. I would also suggest you investigate where the lead is coming from - has he been tested for lead in blood? I believe this would indicate a current exposure and urine (and hair, I assume) indicate past exposure. If it is current exposure, you'll want to eliminate where it's coming from (dishes, ceramic mugs, make up, etc.). I am hoping one of the admins can enlighten us with any additional insight they may have on this.
Learning to Live (3/4)
Red Tara
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Red Tara »

Dear Coach DD,

Great to hear how you are progressing and how you are going about chelating.

I am doing iv chelation. I was wondering how your naturopath did the follow up Doctors Data tests. My Naturopath feels its good to take a break after an intense period of chelation. He says that the test measures how much a person is excreting heavy metals the day of the test and is readily available. When a person is doing alot of chelation a momentum gets built up and the heavy metals may appear higher on the test, thus the value of a break for awhile.

Also wondering what kind of bone reabsorbation test you take and what it measures after a period of chelation?

thanks Em
Red Tara
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Red Tara »

Hi Kurt,

Sorry it took a bit of time to get back to you. I talked to my naturopath about the labs Genova and Doctors Data. He says he uses both and both are good but mostly he uses Genova. I talked to him briefly about the idea that IV Chelation can be dangerous
and he said what he had noticed was that mostly chiropractors say that IV Chelation is dangerous and says "Maybe I'm a little cynical but I wonder if thats because chiropractors aren't allowed to to IV Chelation in accordance with their licensing boards"
Where as Naturopaths and MD's who can do Iv Chelation don't tend to be critical about its use. for whatever its worth

Keep us posted with how you progress on this issue and best wishes.
Em
CoachDD
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CoachDD »

Hi Emm -

I did some take breaks. . . I stopped after 6 weeks and retested (the supps protocol listed is for a week - 4 days/3 days). It's been a long haul and I do feel better, but acknowledge there are many other things going on that could have helped and impacted my symptoms throughout this journey. It is interesting to me that this time, she is not having me take the provocation (DMSA) to do the HM test via Doctors Data. I'll keep everyone posted on how this progresses and whether my numbers are finally within range. :)

I'll do some digging to get my bone resorption test info and get back to you on that.
Learning to Live (3/4)
Red Tara
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Red Tara »

Thank you very much Coach
Kurt
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Kurt »

Hello Emm and others,
Emm
I would be happy to tell you my experience with Bredesen practitioner. I’ll have to do it another eve.
Sorry about your cancer and autoimmune disorder. Can’t imagine the stress that may have caused. Hope you are out of the woods on it. I called the local QuickSilver practitioner (function medicine nurse) today. Unfortunately, she would not take me for the QuickSilver heavy metal/other testing unless I would pay for a yearly fee of 2 to 3k$ up front (before any QuickSilver costs). I’m glad to hear that there is success with the Chelation procedure from you and others indicating that. I might have to do that after all! My Bredesen practitioner originally gave me a Doctors Data specimen box – so I would like to hear it if you get some comments on it. Same for webinar (if there is a website that I can read and save you from typing, that would fine). You’re going to have finger problems from helping me unless you get some speech to text software!
“Gentleman who almost died” – I don’t know what problem was being addressed. If I can find out, I will let you know.
“Sorry it took a bit” … you don’t have to be sorry at all, you’re doing me a great favor. I’m the one that should be sorry as I don’t have anything useful to provide.

Ashleybad
Thanks for the link. I’ll take a look. I don’t know much – suspect that you would not want to do this without a trained individual. Emm and CoachDD replies are educating me on Chelation.

CoachDD
Thanks for the details and glad for your success and to hear another positive chelation experience. Would you mind sharing the costs for both phases (tests to measure levels of heavy metals and for the actual removal treatments)? I see a Contact “cloud” that indicates that it sends a private message (but I have not tried it yet). No sweat if you don’t feel comfortable with it. Sounds like if you have a lot of heavy metals it could get expensive with the multiple treatments and tests to check progress? Also, does Medicare and supplemental insurance (say like Aetna) cover any of this?