Heavy Metals testing

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Heavy Metals testing

Post by floramaria »

Hello, Fellow Health Optimizers,

I went to a FM doc last week and told him about having failed the VCS test for biotoxins. Because of my history of exposure, including having lots of amalgam fillings removed in unsafe ways, and years as a house painter (ooooo...lots of lead?), we agreed that looking at heavy metals is a good place to start. I don't have any symptoms associated with heavy metals that I know of, other than SCI.
He gave me a requisition for Doctor's Data with nothing filled in, so for one thing I don't know what test I am supposed to order.
Second, the chelation agent he prescribed, DMSA, is unavailable at the 4 pharmacys I have contacted. That took hours. While waiting for a callback from Doctor's office, have been doing some research. See that in The End of Alzheimer's, Doc B recommends Quicksilver labs testing.

What tests have you used? Are there some that are better? I live in NM which , according to today's research, is a DAT state, so I may be able to direct order certain tests, though not sure about Quicksilver.

Would greatly appreciate any feedback from those of you with experience in heavy metals testing...or any advice regarding it.
thank you very much.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: Heavy Metals testing

Post by Julie G »

Flora, very strange that he would prescribe a chelating agent before getting test results? My FMP used the QuickSilver Scientific Blood Metals Panel as a starting place. If anything was too out-of-whack, he planned to do more thorough testing.
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

Julie G wrote:Flora, very strange that he would prescribe a chelating agent before getting test results? My FMP used the QuickSilver Scientific Blood Metals Panel as a starting place. If anything was too out-of-whack, he planned to do more thorough testing.
thanks, Julie, I may see if I can just go with QuickSilver Scientific. Did you do the "Mercury Tri-Test" and the heavy metals panel?
the test ordered (SORT OF :x ) for me, is a two [part urine test. Collect urine, then take chelating agent and collect another urine sample
and compare the two tests. From what I am reading online, esp at Quicksilver, it is an "old school" method. But maybe adequate, who knows? (Maybe my doctor, maybe not.)
For a self-described "concierge practice" they are remarkably slow to return calls or answer emails.
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

Turns out that I am not in a DAT state, so I cannot order the Quicksilver test for myself.
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

floramaria wrote:Turns out that I am not in a DAT state, so I cannot order the Quicksilver test for myself.
How frustrating. I've had similar roadblocks in my own CIRS journey, so I am given continued opportunities to be patient and clever. ;)

I noticed on the Quicksilver website that Julie linked that the test must be ordered by a registered provider. There are two in Albuquerque, an NP and DOM. Didn't look into definition for "provider." Maybe you have the necessary qualifications, or some you know well!
That said, I personally have no idea which test is the best, so tend to rely on Dr Bredesen's opinion. One resort is a serum lead level; all those kids in Flint MI probably had blood work done. But they were also exposed to very high levels of lead. A abnormal serum lead level would rule it in, a normal serum lead level wouldn't rule it out. (But you probably already know this).

And VCS; I've had 2 negative results in 1 year and have all sorts of abnormal CIRS markers. Dr Sandeep Gupta, a Shoemaker certified physician, indicates that VCS is 92% accurate with 8% false negatives, and 2.5% false positives. One of the cheapest tests available, but like everything else in life, not completely accurate.
Slacker
E4/E4
chrissyr
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by chrissyr »

The naturopath who I am working with wanted to do the chelating type of test with me. When I see him next I am planning to ask him to go through Quicksilver even if it's new to him--- it's an easier test (doesn't make me have to take the day off work with pee samples) , and also it will tell the difference between organic and inorganic mercury. I have a mouthful of amalgam fillings that are probably 35-45 years old. But I have heard that removing them (even safely) also removes some bone. So I will only go down that road if my test says I have to I guess! I have had no root canals/bridges/caps and would love to keep it that way.

What are other people's experiences with old metal fillings?
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

A abnormal serum lead level would rule it in, a normal serum lead level wouldn't rule it out. (But you probably already know this).
True for ALL heavy metals?
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

Julie G wrote:
A abnormal serum lead level would rule it in, a normal serum lead level wouldn't rule it out. (But you probably already know this).
True for ALL heavy metals?
I try to avoid the word "all"! 8-)
Dr Bredesen lists blood serum levels for mercury, lead, arsenic, and cadmium in his book, but also mentions that most ways of mercury testing are not very sensitive, which is why he recommends Quicksilver. Are you concerned about false positives with heavy metal conventional blood work? I would be more concerned about false negatives...or am I missing something subtle about your question?
Slacker
E4/E4
AKA
Support Team
Support Team

Post by AKA »

Flora, I completed the DMSA Chelation test a few weeks ago and have a f/u phone appoint with Dr. Kabran Chapek tomorrow morning to go over the results. He is a Naturopathic Doc at the Amen Clinics in Bellevue WA. I know the Amen Clinics get a bad rap on occasion, but they diagnosed my issue and led me to Dr. Bredesen. Dr. Chapek trained with Dr. Bredesen and my doc in VA suggested I consult with him (BTW I'm in OH).... so it's been a coast to coast collaboration! In any event, he arranged everything. The test kits came from Drs Data and the DMSA caps were mailed to me from a pharmacy in Issaquah, WA. I just submitted payment. The test was easy, first am urine went in test kit 1, take DMSA caps (no issues or side effects with the caps for me), then collect urine for next 6 hours which goes in test kit 2-done. I can ask Dr. Chapek tomorrow if he can suggest anyone in your area who may be able to help if you like? -Andrea
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

AKA wrote:Flora, I completed the DMSA Chelation test a few weeks ago and have a f/u phone appoint with Dr. Kabran Chapek tomorrow morning to go over the results. He is a Naturopathic Doc at the Amen Clinics in Bellevue WA. I know the Amen Clinics get a bad rap on occasion, but they diagnosed my issue and led me to Dr. Bredesen. Dr. Chapek trained with Dr. Bredesen and my doc in VA suggested I consult with him (BTW I'm in OH).... so it's been a coast to coast collaboration! In any event, he arranged everything. The test kits came from Drs Data and the DMSA caps were mailed to me from a pharmacy in Issaquah, WA. I just submitted payment. The test was easy, first am urine went in test kit 1, take DMSA caps (no issues or side effects with the caps for me), then collect urine for next 6 hours which goes in test kit 2-done. I can ask Dr. Chapek tomorrow if he can suggest anyone in your area who may be able to help if you like? -Andrea
Thanks, AKA (Andrea), I appreciate your sharing your own experience, and will be really interested in hearing what kind of test results you get, if you are willing to share that, and also the protocol post test. The doc I am seeing is a FM practioner but has not gone to the Reversing Cognitive Decline Training. I have, and have strong ideas about tests I want. He seems very “nonchalant “ to use the kindest word I can think of in my frustration!
He gave me a requisition for the test through doctor’s data, but no instructions and he did not check off anything on the requisition regarding which test/s were being ordered. Also told me I could fill the DMSA prescription at Walgreen’s which was incorrect. None of the local pharmacies have it. Thanks for telling me that you had to order yours from a pharmacy in Issaquah WA though you are in OH.