If you have leaky gut or suspect you do, watch this 2-hour webinar (free for the next 48 hours)

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Re: If you have leaky gut or suspect you do, watch this 2-hour webinar (free for the next 48 hours)

Post by TheBrain »

SusanJ wrote:Did a lot of research on probiotics a while back, and used it to guide me in taking them. There is still a lot to be learned about the effects of probiotics on the microbiome and health in general, and I personally agree the stool tests aren't all that useful. After reading what each commonly available strain had to offer, and which ones were not histamine producing, I selected my probiotics based on those criteria. So part of the answer as to which probiotics to take, lies in what health issue you are trying to resolve.

Here's a good starter paper to underscore the complexities of determining what probiotics actually work in what disease. And it also underscores you don't have to take spore-forming probiotics to have an effect.

A Meta-Analysis of Probiotic Efficacy for Gastrointestinal Diseases
When choosing probiotics, the type of disease (treated/prevented) and probiotic species (strain) used are the most important factors to take into consideration.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3329544/

Of course, no probiotic will help if we're eating junk food, sugar and not getting enough fiber (along with all the other lifestyle changes). That's typically not an issue for folks on this forum, but most of us have had to wrestle with problems because we weren't so good in the past, compounded by antibiotic use.
Susan, thanks for bringing this article to our attention. I took a quick look and realized I need to study the material closely, which I can't do right now. But it makes sense from a conceptual point of view. In addition to Megaspore, I am taking a high potency Lactobacillus and Bifidobacteria probiotic. But I'll need to compare the strains against what's reported in the article.

I took VSL #3 for a while, but I didn't notice any improvement in my symptoms. I didn't even have any bloating when I first started it. I was surprised to see in their package insert that after three weeks of stopping VSL #3, all of it is gone from the intestines. That suggests to me that these strains don't "implant." However, I understand that good things can happen while one is taking this supplement.
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: If you have leaky gut or suspect you do, watch this 2-hour webinar (free for the next 48 hours)

Post by SusanJ »

I have lots of research on different strains, so if there is anything in particular you'd like to know more about, I'll see if they are in my list.

So, maybe VSL#3 did not contain the strains you need to heal your problem. Different strains all have different functions (as you'll see in the paper). I'm currently using Custom Probiotics D-Lactate Free Probiotic Powder at the the children's dose (25 Billion cfus) because I'm looking for some immune balancing effects and it seems to be helping. And no bloating to start, which I attribute to having already made progress on my gut problems (mainly IBS).

I just feel like the science around probiotics is at the beginning, and perhaps we'll find we don't need any to "implant" but just to modify the gut environment so that the good bacteria can win out against the bad. And, unfortunately even "good" probiotics can turn bad in an unhealthy gut environment.

Hang in there. I probably tried a dozen different formulas/brands until this one, which seems to be helping me.
Kerry56
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Kerry56 »

I can't find where I can get megasporebiotic. There are no alternative type professionals in my locale in South Mississippi. I seem to fit everything I read in the notes above. Nobody can figure out these group of symptoms including slow to no bowel motility. Been using water enemas. Having acupuncture now. The company for that product says it sells to professionals only.

My LDL did go down after adding more legumes to daily diet.
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

Kerry56 wrote:I can't find where I can get megasporebiotic. There are no alternative type professionals in my locale in South Mississippi. I seem to fit everything I read in the notes above. Nobody can figure out these group of symptoms including slow to no bowel motility. Been using water enemas. Having acupuncture now. The company for that product says it sells to professionals only.
Hi Kerry,

I've purchased MegaSporebiotic from Rebel Health Tribe at https://rebelhealthtribe.com/rebel-shop/supplements. I didn't need to have an appointment of any kind to purchase their product. As I recall, you can get a discount if you choose autoship. They are all about the gut microbiome. I've purchased some of their educational materials.

I found out in November that I have hydrogen sulfide small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO). It shows up as a flatline on a three-hour breath test. This diagnosis was missed when I was tested over 5 years ago and in 2016. This topic is discussed in the thread: Hydrogen Sulfide SIBO (and I'm overdue in providing an update; my treatment is REALLY working). None of the probiotics I ever tried helped with the SIBO. In fact, they might have contributed to it. I had slow to no bowel motility and couldn't have a BM without a hefty dose of magnesium. I've had BMs yesterday and today without any magnesium. When I get through the eradication phase, I will restart the recommended MegaSporebiotic (along with some other supplements).

I mention my SIBO, just in case it might resonate for you.
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!
Kerry56
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Kerry56 »

Thank you very much. That link is helpful.. btw my nic was "the professor" haha
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

I like "the professor"!