Bredesen Protocol Fasting Questions

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Wondering
Contributor
Contributor

Bredesen Protocol Fasting Questions

Post by Wondering »

I've finally gotten serious about following the Bredesen recommendations regarding diet. It's going really well, but I find I am unsure about a few things related to the 12-16 hour fasting requirement (I am aiming for 14-16 hours, due to Apoe4 status). Here are my questions:

1. Water: I have been assuming that it's fine to drink plenty of water during the fasting hours, right? I have recently run into people who believe "fasting" means no water, either, so wanted to double check.

2. Medication: I take Synthroid for hypothyroidism. It needs to be taken on an empty stomach. I have historically taken the pill if I get up in the night to go to the bathroom (between 3-5 am) or first thing upon waking. Either way, that would be before the fasting period is over. Is there any problem with that?

3. Supplements: I also have three supplements (pill-form) that are prescribed by my Naturopath to take in the morning, on an empty stomach. Are those okay to take during the fasting period?

4. Homeopathy: I also have a daily homeopathy remedy that I have typically taken in the morning, before eating. It is based on lactose - milk sugar. I have been avoiding sugar 100%. Plus, I sure don't want the first thing in my body after fasting to be sugar, even a minute amount like that! Suggestions? I will be talking with my Homeopath about any options that are not sugar-based.

Anyone have suggestions about any of these? Thank you!

Linda
E3/E4, both parents had LOAD
Bhinebaugh
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Bredesen Protocol Fasting Questions

Post by Bhinebaugh »

Linda. I’m not an expert on this but I just listened to a live Q&A with Rhonda Patrick yesterday and many of the questions had to do with exactly this question. She basically said to keep taking your medicine and if you have evening supplements like melatonin you can take but try to get your other supplements especially fish oil during your feeding periods. She said that she doesn’t think it will make a huge difference. There just are not enough studies. She said black coffee, tea also shouldn’t make a huge difference either for intermittent fasting. Don’t know anything about the Homeopathy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

I read the book, "The Complete Guide to Fasting" by Dr Jason Fung with Jimmy Moore. What I learned is there are no hard and FAST (sorry, I couldn't help myself) rules regarding fasting. Fasting is simply not eating. There are many approaches: no water, yes water, bone broth, fat fasts, etc. Unless you're fasting for specific therapeutic reasons, you have latitude.

I intermittent fast every day, to about 15-16 hours. I drink black coffee in the morning. Yes, technically that starts to stimulate the body and breaks the fast, but I'm still enhancing my insulin sensitivity and autophagy. When I first started intermittent fasting, I would "fat fast" and add a little coconut oil (I'd probably choose some other fat source today) to my coffee to help me get to 16 hours. Again, technically this breaks the fast, but there is no fasting police, the fat evokes a low insulin response, so it didn't derail the desired effects of the fast.

I know there are folks who don't even drink water while fasting, in their book, Dr Fung and Jimmy Moore don't recommend this for medical reasons.

I'm not a medical professional, but there shouldn't be any problem with taking medication/supplements while fasting, especially if it should be taken on an empty stomach. I take my first set of supplements in the morning with my black coffee, well before breaking my fast.
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Wondering - there is no problem with water (please don't get dehydrated during the fasting period), meds, supplements or homeopathic remedies during a fast.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Sandy57
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Sandy57 »

Agree with the doc above, no problem. Even with coffee or tea, plain.
Frank
Wondering
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Wondering »

Great! Thank you all. The learning continues..... :)
E3/E4, both parents had LOAD
PBW
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by PBW »

I just asked this question under another inquiry. Is there any problem with snacking during your 8 hour window with a daily fast.
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

Hi, PBW,
As with the fasting period, I think you’ll find all sorts of different approaches to what is “allowed” in the eating window. In order to get enough calories to meet my daily needs in those 8-9 hours, I often will include some calorie rich snack in addition to the two meals that fit into the eating window. Can be a handful of nuts and a square of dark chocolate , or celery with nut butter, or an avocado.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
PBW
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by PBW »

Thank you Floramaria. I think I will be more careful with the snacks as a common one for me is a sliced apple with peanut butter (all organic) or goat cheese. that I eat over 2-3 hours . I am very active so I am hearing that snacks are fine...just pay attention to what foods you choose for snacks. You are a sort of neighbor...I live in Evergreen, Colorado and love going to Ojo Caliente, Taos, Jemez springs.)
PBW
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by PBW »

Thank you Floramaria. I think I will be more careful with the snacks as a common one for me is a sliced apple with peanut butter (all organic) or goat cheese. that I eat over 2-3 hours . I am very active so I am hearing that snacks are fine...just pay attention to what foods you choose for snacks. You are a sort of neighbor...I live in Evergreen, Colorado and love going to Ojo Caliente, Taos, Jemez springs.)