Too much protein??

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Katydid
Contributor
Contributor

Too much protein??

Post by Katydid »

In his book, Dr. Bredesen recommends 1 g of protein for each kilogram of body weight. For me, that would be under 60 g of protein a day. However, for roughly the last 25 years, I have been eating around 100 g of protein a day, between whey protein shakes and animal protein. I do eat a lot of vegetables, as well.

The reason for his recommendation, he says, is that excess protein can be converted to glucose and play a role in insulin resistance. My recent bloodwork seems to suggest no problem on that score. My A-1 C is 5.2, my fasting glucose is 80 and my fasting insulin is 4.1. Additionally, my total cholesterol is 160.

Is there any reason, then, for me to limit my protein? I am in the gym seven days a week and do intense weight training on four of those days. I am 62 and want to keep muscle as I age.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Too much protein??

Post by SusanJ »

You seem to have found what works for you, so IMHO you shouldn't change it just based on Bredesen's book. His guidelines are just that, guidelines, and in reality we all respond a little different to macro nutrient percentages. If your labs are good, then as we say here, N=1.

But I'll encourage others weigh in, who might know more about the sweet spot for protein for them.
Nancy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Nancy »

Check your GFR. Your kidney functioning. High protein diets have damaged mine.
Katydid
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Katydid »

Thanks, Nancy. I think I will hang in there, then, at my current protein intake. Unless someone points out a good reason to lower it.

My GFR is 101, wHich seems to be at a safe place.
Nancy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Nancy »

That's good. Within range, yes.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Good to see you posting, (((Nancy.))) -xo
Nancy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Nancy »

Awe, thank you, Julie! I'm back home now. Surgery went well. The entire tumor has been removed. Just healing now! I'm going to read Bredesen's new book I bought recently while I heal. Beware of hormones and ionizing radiation everyone!
Sandy57
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Sandy57 »

My opinion, not advice would be not to lower it. Your biomarkers are not suggesting you need to.

Frank
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

hi Katydid. Great question.
Remember Dr B is focused on every factor and trying to optimise especially if there is already cognitive decline. But he does have the over-arching paradigm of a balance ie a tipping point.
If your well-being and cognition and biomarkers are where you want them to be, I personally would consider that an extra 40gm of protein a day wouldn't break you. Perhaps you thrive better on a slightly higher protein intake? 100gms a day certainly isn't excessive in my opinion.

And in an insulin sensitive person 40gms extra protein isn't going to crash your glycaemic control. Youre nowhere near that level.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Katydid
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Katydid »

Thanks, all. I’m relieved to have your support. Dr. Gundry ‘s belief that 2 oz. of protein day is optimal was distressing.