increased appetite for carbs after a round of antibiotics?

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
progranulindefect
Contributor
Contributor

increased appetite for carbs after a round of antibiotics?

Post by progranulindefect »

HI everyone,

I got bit by a dog that wasn't vaccinated for rabies, so i had to get a tetanus shot, 4 rabies shots, and take the antibiotic augmentin twice a day for 10 days. now i seem to have an increased appetite for carbs. i'm wondering if anyone has specific suggestions for pro/prebiotics or foods that could repopulate my gut with beneficial bacteria. actually, i'm not sure if the antibiotics hurt my gut bacteria. i don't have constipation or loose stools. it's just that my appetite for carbs seems stronger now.
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Re: increased appetite for carbs after a round of antibiotics?

Post by TheresaB »

Antibiotics destroy gut bacteria even if you aren’t experiencing symptoms. You’re probably hungry for carbs because your good bugs have been diminished and now your bad bugs are saying, “Feed me!” I’d follow up with some good probiotics. I used VSL3 for a couple months after being administered antibiotics, then started using Schiff Digestive Advantage. Schiff’s contain BC30, a probiotic that actually survives the stomach acid to do some good.
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
progranulindefect
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, Theresa!
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

I got bit by a dog that wasn't vaccinated for rabies, so i had to get a tetanus shot, 4 rabies shots, and take the antibiotic augmentin twice a day for 10 days.

So sorry, Pro- how awful!. I'm sending healing energy. -xo
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Yikes! VSL#3 has a lot of good research behind it, so I agree with Theresa that it's a good place to start. You can also take it while on antibiotics.

Sending healing thoughts your way!
progranulindefect
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for all the positive thoughts :) What about Sun Fiber for repopulating the gut with good bugs?