whey(t) a minute! whey's ok?

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
organicsummer
Contributor
Contributor

Re: whey(t) a minute! whey's ok?

Post by organicsummer »

artbellio wrote:I'm really curious as well. I just started my mom (apoe3/4) on grass fed whey powder to help her gain some weight.
I actually started a post about it couple of weeks ago or so, no one responded. 😅
Hi artbellio!

With regard to whey protein and possible insulin spikes or other information around it, I searched up "whey" on the Wiki tab at the top of the forum page, and found 3 articles talking about it. One of which says it does have the ability to spike insulin, and another that says it could contain harmful additives. (I suppose based on this information, logic would tell you to make sure you have a high quality whey to avoid harmful additives, as well as use in moderation, possibly mixing up usage with other types of protein supplements to avoid harm caused by regular insulin spikes which could occur from using it regularly). The third article that came up says that it could be a better alternative than collagen, gelatin or bone broth as these increase hydroxyproline, which can be converted into oxylates, which can be problematic. So there are pros and cons to whey according to this information and probably deserves some further research. I'm a big believer of "anything in moderation" which tends to stand the test of time. I encourage you to search up "whey" in the Wiki and see for yourself. I hope that helps!

organicsummer
Brain Performance Coach, Arizona
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
artbellio
Contributor
Contributor

Post by artbellio »

organicsummer wrote:
artbellio wrote:I'm really curious as well. I just started my mom (apoe3/4) on grass fed whey powder to help her gain some weight.
I actually started a post about it couple of weeks ago or so, no one responded. 😅
Hi artbellio!

With regard to whey protein and possible insulin spikes or other information around it, I searched up "whey" on the Wiki tab at the top of the forum page, and found 3 articles talking about it. One of which says it does have the ability to spike insulin, and another that says it could contain harmful additives. (I suppose based on this information, logic would tell you to make sure you have a high quality whey to avoid harmful additives, as well as use in moderation, possibly mixing up usage with other types of protein supplements to avoid harm caused by regular insulin spikes which could occur from using it regularly). The third article that came up says that it could be a better alternative than collagen, gelatin or bone broth as these increase hydroxyproline, which can be converted into oxylates, which can be problematic. So there are pros and cons to whey according to this information and probably deserves some further research. I'm a big believer of "anything in moderation" which tends to stand the test of time. I encourage you to search up "whey" in the Wiki and see for yourself. I hope that helps!

organicsummer

Thank you so much for that organicsummer!
Cheers!
I'm here for my mom (3/4), advanced Alzheimer's , just had a stroke in Nov 2020.
hairyfairy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by hairyfairy »

Ι totally confused by this. I read that whey protein is good for seniors because iÞs a healthy way to build muscle and can improve cognition.