Exercise

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Orangeblossom
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Exercise

Post by Orangeblossom »

I've been reading exercise is good for E4's and posted an article on the research area on this. I wondered about this and thought would ask, what exercise do you do and do you feel it helps? I love to swim, walk and do yoga. Thanks.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Exercise

Post by SusanJ »

All sound great to me! Many here do similar routines. You might want to consider adding in some weight training.
CarrieS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CarrieS »

My body likes HIIT (high intensity interval training) for a 15 - 20 minute sweaty workout, walking, hiking and spinning. I also add in weight training.
APOe4/4
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Certificate for Reversing Cognitive Decline for Coaches (FMCA)
Certified Fermentationist
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

I do strength, yoga, walk and some HIIT. I have orthopedic issues, so I have to temper any cardio, but I'm not so sure hard cardio is such a good idea anyway. Have you read the wiki on exercise?
https://www.apoe4.info/wiki/Exercise_-_ ... d_Benefits
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
jolicoeur
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jolicoeur »

Hi orangeblossom

I do strength trainings every other day and some HIIT since almost 4 years now.
I completely changed my body, my markers, I have energy, I'm stronger and on top of it I feel grreat !!!!
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach (FMCHC)
FMCA /Bredesen's ReCODE for coaches
AFMCP (IFM November 2017)
Orangeblossom
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Orangeblossom »

I prefer gentle swimming to hard cardio, really, find it relaxing...but hear that HIIT is good as well. I do that sometimes. Yes i agree weights can be good and also for women is meant to be good for bones I think. I do a body balance class which is yoga and tai chi to music. Walking is good as well. Thank you for the ideas.
cbrouillet
Contributor
Contributor

Post by cbrouillet »

My mom, who is 86 and had AD, believes that her love of hiking/walking has increased her longevity. I'm sure that it is good for her. I also love to hike, swim, walk, and I used to get lots of exercise, until I had an unfortunate accident and shattered my upper right arm and had to get a new shoulder. Now I am not supposed to lift more than 15 pounds with my right arm, and to lift nothing heavy over my head with that arm. I used to swim a mile a day, but find it extremely painful/difficult to swim freestyle anymore, and generally just swim breaststroke now. I have to get a bone density test tomorrow, and just learned that we actually can strengthen our bones through exercise, particularly weight lifting/weight bearing... and wish I had known that before I busted my arm/shoulder. I had had no idea that my bones were "brittle" or had low bone density, especially since prior to my accident- I did a lot of heavy lifting, by virtue of being a mom with 3 kids and leading a non-profit which meant transporting lots of heavy stuff around all the time, setting up booths for public outreach... I wish I knew the ideal amount/form of exercise, but now I simply bicycle, walk, try to stay active (doing chores) as much as possible, to avoid being sedentary all day. The more I actually move my body, the better I feel. The hunt for healthy ingredients and food preparation can consume a lot of time and energy, as well, but I am sure that the healthiest meals are those that we can prepare for ourselves at home, and worth the time and effort. For all who haven't shattered their bones- do strengthen them while you can - it is terrible to break them.
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

I walk everyday, striving for 10,000 steps, which I was delighted to learn that I can track on my phone with no additional gadgetry. A few times a week I do arm exercises with light weights or exercise bands; since I am taking an online course and spend a lot of time online, I generally do those arm exercises while on the computer , watching videos. I do a combination of TaiChi and qigong daily. The qigong is slower and more repetitive energy work underlying Tai Chi, and focuses my mind on physical sensations in a meditative way. The Tai Chi has been great for improving my strength, balance, and flexibility and also challenges my mind. And is beautiful.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
Magda
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Magda »

I do resistance training 3, 4 times a week. I concentrate on one or two muscle groups at the time, but I also do whole body multi-joins training with light weights and resistance bands. I love HIIT in a form of running hills or spinning. To change my routine, I am testing yoga practise once a week instead of one weights lifting sessions.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach & MS Clinical Nutrition Student
IFM/Bredesen Trained, Reversing Cognitive Decline
Orangeblossom
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Orangeblossom »

Some nice ideas shared here. I have found since starting intermittent fasting (I skip breakfast) if I exercise during that time, it makes me less hungry, so a win win there. Going to try and continue with this pattern. Have lost half a stone already since the start of November, so at least finding out about the APOE and advice is helping me lose weight. I remember seeing a programme about the children's author Judith Kerr (who wrote the Mog books) in her 90s, saying a daily walk for an hour and illustrating her books, kept her on top form. In the gym today i noticed several retired people and older swimming etc and it inspired me a bit, definitely going to keep going there for as many years to come as possible. Yes I think yoga can be strengthening as well, and also if not able to go the gym hand weights can be used at home.

That Wiki is really thorough, thanks! Yes i do think it helps with sleep. It can make such a difference can't it.