Fish Oil

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Fish Oil

Post by Stavia »

I can now get full text on most papers, for the next 5 months. PM me if there's anything anyone wants.
Welcomeaboard
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Welcomeaboard »

That is very kind of you Stavia. Thank you.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3518784/
Dietary omega 3 polyunsaturated fatty acids and Alzheimer’s disease:
Interaction with apolipoprotein E genotype

I found this review of Omega 3's. Full text hereunder.
samieri reference.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gilgamesh
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gilgamesh »

Thanks so much, Stavia. I'll try to ask only when it's important (otherwise you'll be fetching stuff every few hours -- there's so much to read that's behind a paywall!).

GB
MarcR
Mod
Mod

Post by MarcR »

Thank you for sharing, Stavia. For me, the paper reinforced comprehensively the message of this entire topic - evidence for/against fish oil supplementation for E4 carriers is contradictory and uncertain. My current approach is to eat a can of sardines - Crown Prince Natural One Layer Brisling Sardines in Spring Water - most days. I stopped supplementing with fish oil a couple of months ago.

Is anyone using the Green Pasture fermented cod liver oil recommended by Chris Masterjohn?
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Gilgamesh wrote:Thanks so much, Stavia. I'll try to ask only when it's important (otherwise you'll be fetching stuff every few hours -- there's so much to read that's behind a paywall!).

GB
no, no, no PLEASE ask away hourly, I only have this opportunity until end of the year. And then all you clever people can explain the big words. Seriously I feel so behind the 8 ball in my 3 months or so, you've all been investigating for years.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Here's a new paper just added by Aphorist in another thread. It seems to support the notion that E4 carriers may need more DHA to avoid AD & CAD:

Fatty Acid Metabolism in Carriers of Apolipoprotein E Epsilon 4 Allele: Is It Contributing to Higher Risk of Cognitive Decline and Coronary Heart Disease?
http://www.mdpi.com/2072-6643/6/10/4452/htm
LanceS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by LanceS »

Dr. Rhonda Patric E4/E3 takes Nordic Naturals EPA 2g (fish - triglyceride form, molecularly distilled, nitrogen form with no oxygen present during processing) and DHA (Krill) centric fish oil. Need more EPA than DHA. Not sure she had looked at DHA EPA in light of her E4 status.

http://youtu.be/SDzLFzuotiE

Also in Joe Rogan's podcast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnO1hXvAV2c
(starting at 1:59:00 ish)

Not sure she ever details out her rationale / evidence.

Recommends astaxanthin as a way to reduce inflammation and avoiding oxidation. Krill has this and Krill has lisophosphatidylcholine? something that allows it to have 10x more bioavailability in rats.

She said that E4s can't repair brain damage and doesn't drink alcohol. Is this true? Wonder how robust those assumptions are.

Think at some point she talked about (didn't recommend as highly as EPA / DHA) curcumin/tumeric with bioperine (black pepper) as it has much higher bioavailability .... luteine, xeaxanthin as well. She talked about something that also increased the availality of stem cells to the brain, but I didn't write down what it was. Will repost if I review and find it.

Julie you could get her on your show and have the medical experts drill down on her assumptions, etc etc. :geek: :roll: :lol:

FWIW... have a good weekend everyone ;)
Welcomeaboard
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Welcomeaboard »

It has been a while but if I remember correct on dr. Mercola web site they claim red krill oil has the highest astaxanthin level. I do not remember if long vida turmeric and bam 95 formula of turmeric are mixed with pepper but they list thèirs as the most bio available. As far as eating turmeric in food it is not supposed to be anywhere near the level that you get from these supplements, it is not bam 95 I forgot the letters and will update in a minute. And the way you are explaining this woman talking, it sounds as though she tried to remember for her speech and was winging it and really does not understand what these are supposed to do and is lost without a script in front of her to read.

Bcm-95 turmeric, but juliegee would call it bam 95 as she said after taking it her mind went bam and she felt the difference. Also, turmeric works on a lot of things in the body, there are hundreds if not thousands of studies on turmeric and I have mentioned maybe 5 or 10 things in the past and there are probably more than I have mentioned.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

It’s a complex read, but here’s a good balanced look at what we know about DHA and dementia. There's an excellent discussion section with a comprehensive overview of how ApoE4 appears to mediate reduced DHA transport to the brain.

The benefit of docosahexaenoic acid for the adult brain in aging and dementia
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25457546 (Full-text available)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.