Surgery/Hospitalization Tips for E4s

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Surgery/Hospitalization Tips for E4s

Post by Stavia »

Circ if you are walking around during the day and non longer bed bound IMO you can restart it.
If you are still confined to bed I would recommend waiting.
The increased clotting risk does continue for a couple weeks, but its all related to size of surgery and how immobile the patient is.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Thx Stavia. I've been quite active with daily walks for angle while now, while also getting plenty of rest, although this bug has taken what energy I had from me. I only walked 1/4 mi today. I expect I'll be a bit slower now until I get past this hiccup, so maybe best to wait out the last ten days, or just use a smidgen for a placebo boost :)

Appreciate everyone's input. My decision could change at any moment!
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Silverlining
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Silverlining »

I'm also in the camp that your Dr is very conservative, not a bad thing. I do have blood clotting risk and yet I'm prescribed the transdermal HRT...
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

So I thought I was lucky that they didn't use antibiotics during my recent surgery, but then I learned that general anesthesia can also wipe out the gut biome??? I'm too tired to read this whole thread and see if this has come up. It was abdominal laparoscopic surgery. I thought it odd that it required general anesthesia but not antibiotics. My cognition seemed fine until about five weeks after surgery, and since then not so good, but I've been thinking it's the allergies and horrible sinusitis. Fingers crossed it's not some lasting effect of the anesthesia.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Circ, I don't know if this helps, it's definitely an N=1, but my dad (at least one e4) had cognitive problems right after his bypass surgery. No delay.

Don't know about where you live, but I'm finding this is a bad allergy season, and understand the brain fog that can come along with that. Hugs girlfriend.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Thanks, yes x2. I'd think anesthesia-related cognitive issues would be pretty immediate, and we've sustained medium to high pollen levels where I live for some weeks now. It's weird that I've been much more fatigued and mentally mushed seemingly by the allergies than the surgery. Getting nowhere fast this winter either way haha!