Oily fish intake & Omega 3s

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Orangeblossom
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Oily fish intake & Omega 3s

Post by Orangeblossom »

I found this useful guide to oily fish and how much Omega 3 oil it contains, it also have some info on which fish to avoid too much due to toxins etc. I am still a little confused on how much fish to include and notice it is not recommended in the advice of some doctors, whereas Omega 3's are. However as it states taking 500mg supplement per day is just the same as one piece of fish per week I think I might try and include fish as well..I suppose wild caught fish is better than farmed, as well. Just thought I'd share as might be useful to others as well.

https://heartuk.org.uk/files/uploads/Fish_June_2015.pdf
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: Oily fish intake & Omega 3s

Post by Julie G »

Orangeblossom, I admire your curiosity! Have you discovered our hidden SEARCH engine? On the header, far right side, you'll see three vertical dots, click on that to find the search function and more. (Our bad for not making it more searchable ;)) You'll likely find that many of your questions have been previously addressed, but additional queries and info are always welcome.

Here's our largest (and oldest) thread on the topic. Some other, more recent, hits can be found here. Our wiki article distills the most recent evidence on the topic. Anyone is welcome to update that with more current or relevant information. Happy reading, my friend.
Orangeblossom
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Orangeblossom »

Ah, I'll have a look, thanks. Maybe i should have added this info to one of them. I'm still learning. Thanks again :-)
NewRon
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by NewRon »

Aha, that Wiki article!

Now that you mention it, does that Wiki refer to an haemorrhagic stroke (a burst blood vessel in the brain) or a thrombotic stroke (a clot forming in or migrating to, a blood vessel in the brain and starving an area of the brain of blood supply)?
Apo E4/E4, Male, Age 60
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Now that you mention it, does that Wiki refer to an haemorrhagic stroke (a burst blood vessel in the brain) or a thrombotic stroke (a clot forming in or migrating to, a blood vessel in the brain and starving an area of the brain of blood supply)?
Ah, just quickly glanced- NO. That's why we need wide participation on this. Would you care to add contraindications or warnings, NewRon? It seems like this one would be particularly relevant for our population?
Orangeblossom
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Orangeblossom »

I note from reading that link it may be a good idea to take care with too much fish oil, but eating fish may be OK...so even though oily fish has high amounts of Omega 3, I take it it doesn't have the same kind of blood thinning affects taking the oils separately do? I might need to be aware of this also as one of the meds I take already has a blood thinning affect. However it says mainly in males and 4/4 which I'm not (either)! It's tricky to get a balance at times. I think I may go on with some especially as I am reducing the med I take. But not take more than 1g a day of the high DHA type (DHA Extra). Along with either mackerel / salmon a few times a week, and some shellfish.

As it mentions some fish have 2g omega 3's per 100g, maybe those days I will just have the fish and skip the supplements. Could save on the capsules as well, I guess. ;)
NewRon
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by NewRon »

5th attempt...

http://www.angiopathy.org/faq.html

This is what I found, it seems to cover most bases.

My mothers sister died of a brain haemorrhage at 57, my mother had a haemorrhage after a high risk brain op to remove a neuroma.

I take;

1660mg DHA Xtra (400 EPA, 1000 DHA)
5000IU D3 softgel
90ug K2 MK7
50mg mixed tocotrienols
1000mg buffered Vitamin C
10mg sulfurofane
Jarrow B Right B complex
5g creatine a few times a week
12g marine collagen powder
100mg pycnogenol mixed with 200mg grapeseed extract
and yesterday I started
400mg curcumin (Curcubrain, longvida)

Is that all a bit too blood thinning for an E4/E4 male?
Apo E4/E4, Male, Age 60
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

That's an excellent question for your physician, NewRon. FWIW, Dr. Bredesen is only concerned with male 4/4s who have a history of the MEN in their family having strokes or being Dxed with CAA. That said, I can see how your family history could make you nervous...
NewRon
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by NewRon »

I take it that's a joke, Julie!!! Beyond aspirin, they'll be lost.....can you imagine "Pycnogenol...what's THAT???"

I'll get on to the FMD in the US that did my methylation stuff, I think. Actually, I might just email that angiopathy website too....see what they say.
Apo E4/E4, Male, Age 60
NewRon
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by NewRon »

From angiopathy.org:

Thank you for your comments about our website! I am a Clinical Research Coordinator on Dr. Steven Greenberg's research team at the Massachusetts General Hospital Stroke Research Center working with patients who have been diagnosed with CAA and/or a history of hemorrhagic (bleeding) stroke. While I cannot give you clinical or medical advice, there is a great deal of general information about CAA and stroke available on our website: www.angiopathy.org as well as our facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/CerebralAmyloidAngiopathy.

If you are looking for clinical advice and able to travel to Boston, I encourage you to schedule a clinical appointment with one of our neurologists specializing in CAA. You can do this by calling the Neurology Department at 617-726-8459, extension 5, and asking to book an appointment with Dr. Steven Greenberg, Dr. Edip Gurol or Dr. Anand Viswanathan. In XXX we recommend Dr XXX at XXX University Hospital. I hope that you are able to make an appointment with him if you are unable to come to Boston, to have your clinical concerns addressed.

We truly appreciate your interest and enthusiasm in participating in research with our team. We are currently enrolling patients in a number of studies which we hope will advance our understanding, diagnosis and treatment of CAA. All of our studies take place out of the Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston, MA and participants must be seen clinically by one of our neurologists to be deemed eligible for participation in our research. We are not currently conducting any drug or treatment trials, though we have in the past. We have learned a vast amount of information from our research participants, and we continue to better understand and treat CAA thanks to their generosity. If you see another doctor in XXX you may want to ask them about research opportunities they are aware of,

If I can be of any other assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Apo E4/E4, Male, Age 60