Curcumin- what to take

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Orangeblossom
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Curcumin- what to take

Post by Orangeblossom »

I wondered what to take in terms of Curcumin. Can anyone recommend a good one to take? I saw a Solgar one which seemed good but didn't have the black pepper in. And what kind of dose do you take? Many thanks
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Curcumin- what to take

Post by SusanJ »

Here's a background article that might be worth reading about the different types. https://examine.com/supplements/curcumin/

I take Longvida curcumin, 500mg twice per day. It's the only one that seems to help my joint pain, and I've tried versions with piperine, BCM-95 and others without as much success.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

I have the exact same experience as a Susan. I think ConsumerLab indicated that the pepperine versions aren’t necessary if you eat it with a high fat meal, while the pepperine can also increase the absorption of meds.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Re: RE: Curcumin- what to take

Post by Stavia »

Orangeblossom wrote:I wondered what to take in terms of Curcumin. Can anyone recommend a good one to take? I saw a Solgar one which seemed good but didn't have the black pepper in. And what kind of dose do you take? Many thanks
Orangeblossom, we have an enormous thread on Curcumin started a few years ago. If you search you'll find extensive information about brands, doses, absorption etc there. We addressed all the nuances in that thread.
Its good not to reinvent the wheel with questions such as this, our forums contain a huge amount of information that we are slowly trying to convert to our wiki but we are all volunteers with day jobs.
The search function is a drop down from the three little dots to the right of your name on the webpage.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Orangeblossom
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Orangeblossom »

OK, sorry for doing that. I am using the search function but found lots of different posts and did have a good look through but didn't find that one. I will have another look. I'm a bit anxious at the moment but will try to think more before posting. I can see how it might re-write the wheel.

Thanks for your patience and I also wanted to say how grateful for this forum and site I am. I thought it would be full of hand wringing and drama, (due to the nature of the gene etc) but have been so impressed by the attitude and thought put into the responses and work involved in the site.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Thanks for understanding OrangeBlossom. We all know how terrifying it is to contemplate the possibility of AD. The first 6 months is the worst. I guess its similar to the stages of grief - I remember well my "bargaining" stage when I was desperately searching for information to give me reassurance, and desperately throwing myself into strategies - this was pre-Bredesen, so it was a lot scarier then as most of the territory was uncharted. Its a different landscape now.
Most of us don't hand-wring, you are very astute. I hadn't realised that about the forum .
What gets me through difficult times in my life is an innate sense of what is better explained by the Stoic writers than I can, but here goes my short version:
"I don't have a choice what happens to me in life, but I always have a choice how I respond to it"

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Orangeblossom
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Orangeblossom »

Exactly right, Stavia. I actually thought to myself today- how much of my time this week have I spent researching, stressing over this, and how much of that time could I have spent actually doing the simple things, like relaxing or reading about something else. It doesn't help us to get too stressed does it. And some of the things in the research papers etc can be stressful and difficult to read, it leads me to desperately look for other things, positives, scouring the report and looking at different angles and going in circles! It does really help to have the site though and some strategies to focus on. Kind thoughts to all of us dealing with this.
NewRon
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by NewRon »

Stavia,

On the point you make, I've been thinking about it for a while now and I'm wondering if it would be an idea to:

Relabel threads that, say mainly refer to curcumin (for example) as Curcumin

Or

Start a new thread for each supplement and concentrate the data there.

Maybe these could then be collated in a sub-forum.

I say this because each new joiner will ask exactly the same questions (as I did, I'm sure) and as the site gets bigger, it may become unmanageable.

Any thoughts?
Apo E4/E4, Male, Age 60
ru442
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ru442 »

NewRon wrote:Stavia,

On the point you make, I've been thinking about it for a while now and I'm wondering if it would be an idea to:

Relabel threads that, say mainly refer to curcumin (for example) as Curcumin

Or

Start a new thread for each supplement and concentrate the data there.

Maybe these could then be collated in a sub-forum.

I say this because each new joiner will ask exactly the same questions (as I did, I'm sure) and as the site gets bigger, it may become unmanageable.

Any thoughts?
Did I hear you want to volunteer and get in the super sekrit club with powers to make these changes? ;)
Male 4/4 56 yrs., "Live, Laugh, Love"
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Hey ho, we hear you NewRon on things becoming unmanageable. The challenge is doing the curation with volunteers who all have other commitments. We've laid the groundwork with an outline for some of the major questions and several wiki posts have been created and two more, lipids and HRT are underway to fill in that outline.

And as moderators, we're trying to do more of moving new questions to old threads where it's clear. But sometimes the moderators are in a hurry because, well they are volunteers, too.

It's all just the challenge of managing a free-wheeling forum that generates lots of great info. When a suggestion bubbles to the top, like curcumin, we can add it to the list.

Where's that librarian when you need one?!?