Curcumin- what to take

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Re: RE: Re: Curcumin- what to take

Post by Stavia »

ru442 wrote:
NewRon wrote:Stavia,

On the point you make, I've been thinking about it for a while now and I'm wondering if it would be an idea to:

Relabel threads that, say mainly refer to curcumin (for example) as Curcumin

Or

Start a new thread for each supplement and concentrate the data there.

Maybe these could then be collated in a sub-forum.

I say this because each new joiner will ask exactly the same questions (as I did, I'm sure) and as the site gets bigger, it may become unmanageable.

Any thoughts?
Did I hear you want to volunteer and get in the super sekrit club with powers to make these changes? ;)
I vote NewRon for Organiser!!!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Re: RE: Re: Curcumin- what to take

Post by Stavia »

Orangeblossom wrote:Exactly right, Stavia. I actually thought to myself today- how much of my time this week have I spent researching, stressing over this, and how much of that time could I have spent actually doing the simple things, like relaxing or reading about something else. It doesn't help us to get too stressed does it. And some of the things in the research papers etc can be stressful and difficult to read, it leads me to desperately look for other things, positives, scouring the report and looking at different angles and going in circles! It does really help to have the site though and some strategies to focus on. Kind thoughts to all of us dealing with this.
OrangeBlossom, start with basics.
Most of your positive effects will come from simple interventions - exercise is number one without a doubt. Then sleep and stress. Then low glycaemic diet. Then probably VitD and B12 (may as well throw in the methylation with the B12) and DHA are next. You've started looking at curcumin and its a great one to start with. (I use the Life Extension brand because its gelatine free and I'm allergic to gelatin. It's one of the ones that are well absorbed (BCM95))

The rest is detail and it will take you at least a year to get your head around it all.
I sense panic in your approach - and I worry that you will burn out. You need to pace yourself.
It took me over two years (started in year two only) to carefully go thru all the supplements and at year 4 I've only just started the resveratrol and choline.
Take it slowly. Its an ultramarathon not a 100m sprint. Youre only 40 - you have ages to get it right for you.
NewRon
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Curcumin- what to take

Post by NewRon »

"I vote NewRon for Organiser!!!"

Eeek...when I retire!
Apo E4/E4, Male, Age 60
Orangeblossom
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Orangeblossom »

Thanks Stavia for the message. Yes I agree simple things to start with. Also cost is an issue for me. I have young children and husband has Crohn's disease. On meds like Humira and methotrexate, meaning our income is low and that is also causing stress. So that all adds to family stress. and wondering about the future. I also have subacute bowel obstruction from adhesions and previous surgery, and have had multiple episodes of small bowel obstruction and emergency surgeries. Not surprising I am stressed I guess.

For now I will focus on simple things and then get to the details in future, perhaps. Or I might risk going OTT and getting too stressed- not good for us!

I really like this simple book I found called Super genes, it gives easy changes and suggests you change one thing to start with and then another over time. Good approach. it takes 30 days for new habits to become ours apparently. I already have the 16:8 fasting habit. and the Low GI approach sorted. Sleep and exercise seem OK.

Thinking of what we ARE doing rather than what we are not. The information can be quite overwhelming can't it.
apod
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by apod »

Orangeblossom wrote:I wondered what to take in terms of Curcumin. Can anyone recommend a good one to take? I saw a Solgar one which seemed good but didn't have the black pepper in. And what kind of dose do you take? Many thanks
As an alternative to the Solgar or Longvida curcumin extracts, I also like Meriva @ 500mg. Jarrow sells a relatevly inexpensive bottle (~$13.50 for 60x.)

With the Solgar "full spectrum" extract, I tend to be a little turned off by the low-dose (40mg) : high-price ratio ($40 for 60x?)
Orangeblossom
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Orangeblossom »

Thanks Apod, yes I see what you mean now I look at the Solgar one.
Indy3/4
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Indy3/4 »

Because of my AD risk, I take this LEF curcumin supplement:

http://www.lifeextension.com/Vitamins-S ... Turmerones

My non-Apoe4 wife takes this LEF curcumin supplement:

http://www.lifeextension.com/Vitamins-S ... o-Curcumin

Here is a recent LEF article regarding curcumin and the brain.
Orangeblossom
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Orangeblossom »

Thanks Indy :)

Yes, they do that one on the Amazon Uk site.
Orangeblossom
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Orangeblossom »

Has anyone tried turmeric liquid form, what do you think? I am thinking of getting one of these-

udeskym
Contributor
Contributor

Which Curcumin brand to buy

Post by udeskym »

I saw the exciting results of the recent study of curcumin. In the article it says it gave adults 90mg twice a day. But finding a listing of pure curcumin is hard -- it's normally a blend or a complex so it's hard to know how much is really in there. Does anyone have more information on what brand or type to buy -- should it be pill form or liquid? Any help would sure be appreciated!

Thanks!

Michael