Blood Tests

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
arthur
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Blood Tests

Post by arthur »

Hi Everybody,
After joining the club, reading the book, Prime, and different posts I decided to get my Blood test.
It took me some effort to convince the MD in WalkIn clinic to give me a reference at all.
(I did not have a family doctor and did not use medical services for quite a few years )
Here it is how a reference form for general blood test looks in Quebec, Canada
Little bit frustrating that haemoglobin is not included , neither full cholesterol, or B12.
AMO the forms from different countries/states on the website with checked points would make life easier to every newbie
Would be happy to see your comments about my list of tests in the form. How sufficient is it?
What tests worth to add for extra money?
I am a healthy sport youngster of 55, jogging every day 5-7 km,
Interests are: downhill, cross-country ski, hiking, biking, kayaking etc.
Started the Prevention program.

Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

Hi Arthur;

This may be a form developed by the walk in clinic that you went to for their use only, based on what tests they typically order; it is probably not used nationally in Canada at all practices. Just an educated guess. In the US, walk in clinics are set up to take care of acute problems - strep throat, broken arms - not chronic conditions like Alzheimer's or screening exams. Maybe that's also the case in Canada. A primary care provider (general practitioner, family doctor, internist) is probably your best bet, but there may be limitations in what they are able to order that will be covered by your health system. What is and isn't covered in the US is even more complicated and unpredictable, since we don't have single payer health care. Kind of like the wild west but with the insurance companies in charge. But I digress.

Disclaimer: I do not read or speak French. (no surprise, I am from the US)

The Hemoglobin A1C test gives an average glucose or sugar reading for 3 months. It is on the form #536, first column near the top, not ordered. A standard lipid profile is also on the form "bilan(?) lipidique"#876; it was ordered. Vitamin B12 also on the form #529, not ordered.

The real dilemma is what tests would be helpful for you, and how do you get them ordered? What tests to get done is not a one size fits all decision. You have a family history of cognitive problems. You are healthy now. Is it best to stick with the basics now, or to go full board with all of Bredesen's "critical tests?" It's a personal decision, based on motivation, interest, cost, ability to access care, etc etc. My suggestion is to start with the short list of tests that Stavia has recommended in the primer. Look for the list under "biomarkers" in the primer. Print out that page, and go see a general practitioner (sorry, don't know what they are called in Canada). Tell them what you are concerned about, and show them the explanation of the tests you would like to have run. Some of these tests will already be done with the order you got at the walk in clinic. See what you can negotiate.

Another possibility is to find a Bredesen trained physician in Canada. I know they exist, don't know where. Don't know if any are in Montreal.

Hope this helps...wish it was more straightforward...
Slacker
E4/E4
arthur
Contributor
Contributor

Post by arthur »

Hi Slacker,
Definitely , you are right about the walkIn clinic and probably about the medical form too.
Funny (or sad) side of Canadian life , that I am on the waiting list
to get access to a primary care provider for more then two years . I do not worry too much.
My main concern is to stop my mom's declining.
And I’ll just focus for now on my diet and exercises, and brain training
Thanks
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

On a waiting list to see a primary care for over 2 years? I am so sorry to hear that. So many barriers to care. We always think that our own medical system is the worst...probably elements of good and bad in each.

Are you having any luck finding help for your mom? Maybe a doctor in Israel who is open minded and curious? I have no insight whatsoever about the medical system there.

Let the tribe here know how we can support you.
Slacker
E4/E4
arthur
Contributor
Contributor

Post by arthur »

Hi
after 3.5 years of waiting, I received access to
a family doctor . Then after getting perfect results on standard blood test,
I convinced my young doctor to check my mercury and lead .
Results: mercury level is 5 times higher then upper limit,
Lead level is 67% higher then upper limit.
So what to do next? I removed two old black dental filings, stopped sea food consumption. What else can be done?
By the way, private laboratory in Quebec Canada, asks 700$ ca
for 6 metals to measure
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

arthur wrote:after 3.5 years of waiting, I received access to
a family doctor . Then after getting perfect results on standard blood test,
I convinced my young doctor to check my mercury and lead .
Results: mercury level is 5 times higher then upper limit,
Lead level is 67% higher then upper limit.
So what to do next? I removed two old black dental filings, stopped sea food consumption. What else can be done?
By the way, private laboratory in Quebec Canada, asks 700$ ca
for 6 metals to measure
I am so sorry to hear this, arthur. What advice if any did your "young doctor" give you? Any environmental toxin savvy MDs in Canada?

Removing any dental amalgams that may have had mercury in them avoids additional exposure, but it seems that there must be a way of helping reduce the build up in body tissue. Same with sea food consumption (although some seafood is less likely to have less mercury than others). And how did you get exposed to lead? Some investigative work seems necessary.

Do you need further testing? The high mercury and lead has already been found. Guess it might be interesting to see if any other heavy metals are on board. Cost can be a barrier. Quicksilver Scientific is recommended in Dr Bredesen's book. You might want to check out their website.

I'm linking two earlier threads that deal with heavy metal exposure. I haven't read them recently but hope you will find some guidance:
Mercury Levels and Heavy Metals Testing
It's possible that they will just cause more confusion. :oops:

If you can't find a Canadian doctor to help you, consider finding one in the NorthEastern US. Of course, most likely cash pay, so we are back to cost.
Slacker
E4/E4
arthur
Contributor
Contributor

Post by arthur »

Thank you for a advice,
It is really quite confusing to read the threads that deal with heavy metal exposure.
I am still just a beginner in the area of diets. The doctor gives me prescription to any tests I want but only to a private lab. I believe I have the right to remake toxic metals test in 6 months for free, so I'll wait. My bad results (mercury 150.00 nmol/L with max allowed 27.00) opened for my wife and children the possibility to check their level of mercury, lead, arsenic and cadmium in the blood too. It is still not the full tritest yet, but better than nothing. Waiting for their results that could take about two months. Don't know how it works in the US , but in Canada ruling is: for young people (before 30) blood test is not permitted at all.
arthur