Aluminum as a causal factor of Alzheimer's - Introduction of myself to the community

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
laurie
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Aluminum as a causal factor of Alzheimer's - Introduction of myself to the community

Post by laurie »

ru442 wrote:Just a quick question laurie, if I use Fiji water for my covfefe do I lose the benefits from heating it?
Heating Fiji water will not change the silica structure. My mother in law uses the Fiji water to make her coffee and tea and her short term memory has improved (along with other changes). However, if you are using a drip style coffee maker you may be adding aluminum to your coffee. My husband tested several drip style coffee makers and measured the aluminum level. We have found a few drip style coffee makers which don't add aluminum. Here is his write up of the results. http://prevent-alzheimers-autism-stroke.blogspot.com/
Apoe 3/4

"True prevention is only possible by first discovering the cause of a disease such as Alzheimer's."
Dennis N Crouse
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Re: RE: Re: Aluminum as a causal factor of Alzheimer's - Introduction of myself to the community

Post by Stavia »

ru442 wrote:Just a quick question laurie, if I use Fiji water for my covfefe do I lose the benefits from heating it?
Roflmao
You've such a great sense of humour RU.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
ru442
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Aluminum as a causal factor of Alzheimer's - Introduction of myself to the community

Post by ru442 »

laurie wrote:However, if you are using a drip style coffee maker you may be adding aluminum to your coffee.
Thanks for that and nope I use top of the line Bunn w/stainless steel element, so happy me!
Stavia wrote:
Roflmao
You've such a great sense of humour RU.
Thanks!
Male 4/4 56 yrs., "Live, Laugh, Love"
laurie
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by laurie »

Here is another post I made. I thought I would put all the information under thread.

Someone asked the question of what did my husband think of Dr. Bredesen's 3 types of Alzheimer's. Here is a response from my husband Dennis N Crouse who is a chemist and has been reading the scientific literature about Alzheimer's for the past several years in order to help his mother who has Alzheimer’s.
“I agree with Dr. Bredesen on his 3 types of Alzheimer’s. The 3 types are actually three phases of Alzheimer’s all caused by aluminum accumulation.

Type 1 inflammatory – There are at least 11 metals that create reactive oxygen species (ROS) in your brain. However aluminum creates significantly more ROS in the glial cells of the human brain than any of the other 10 metals. Because of this, aluminum is a physiological stressor that causes inflammation of the brain. Dr. Bredesen claims that inflammation causes a rise in your tumor necrosis factor (TNF). There is another perspective: aluminum has been shown to epigenetically cause a rise in TNF and this in turn decreases gene expression for methionine synthase required to lower homocysteine levels.
Tsunoda, M. and Sharma, R.P,; Modulation of tumor necrosis factor alpha expression in mouse brain after exposure to aluminum in drinking water; Arch. Toxicol.; Nov.; 73(8-9):419-26 (1999)
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10650912

Type 2 – Dr. Bredesen’s Type 2 is actually part of the biochemical fingerprint of aluminum accumulation. Dr. Bredesen mentions that lower than normal levels of active vitamin D and higher than normal levels of homocysteine are usually the biochemical fingerprint of his Type 2 Alzheimer’s. Aluminum inhibits active vitamin D biosynthesis lowering levels of active vitamin D. Also aluminum inhibits the methylation of homocysteine resulting in an increase of homocysteine in blood plasma. Aluminum does this by both inhibiting the expression of methionine synthase and the activation of this enzyme.
Waly, M., et al.; Activation of methionine synthase by insulin-like growth factor-1 and dopamine: a target for neurodevelopmental toxins and thimerosal; Mol. Psychiatry 9, 358-70 (2004)
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14745455
Waly, M. I-A., and Deth, R.; Neurodevelopmental toxins deplete glutathione and inhibit folate and vitamin B12-dependent methionine synthase activity – a link between oxidative stress and autism; FASEB J; 22:894 1 (2008)
http://www.fasebj.org/content/22/1_Supplement/894.1

Type 3 – Aluminum is neurotoxic and it kills neurons, inhibits neurite growth, and synapse development. It also interferes with calcium, as an internal messenger inside neurons, by modifying calmodulin’s calcium receptor site. People with the APOE4 gene produce more beta amyloid which forms neurotoxic oligomers that react with aluminum to form neurotoxic droplets (Nano droplets) of amyloid oligomers. These neurotoxic droplets are very stable and mobile in the brain and are “freezing” the amyloid in the oligomeric state. These beta amyloid oligomers are 10 times more neurotoxic than amyloid plaque.” Dennis N Crouse PhD

Drago, D., et al.; Potential pathogenic role of β-amyloid1-42-aluminum complex in Alzheimer’s disease; Int. J. Biochem. & Cell Biol.; 40:731-46 (2008)
http://europepmc.org/abstract/med/18060826

Denise Drago - Aluminum Modulates Effects of βAmyloid1–42 on Neuronal Calcium Homeostasis and Mitochondria Functioning and Is Altered in a Triple Transgenic Mouse Model of Alzheimer's Disease 2008
http://online.liebertpub.com/doi/abs/10 ... .2008.0761
Apoe 3/4

"True prevention is only possible by first discovering the cause of a disease such as Alzheimer's."
Dennis N Crouse
TLS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TLS »

I bought the Colletti Stainless Steel percolator after reading this thread about aluminum and want to share with the group how wonderful I think it is. The coffee tastes great and the pot is entirely stainless steel with a glass knob to show how the coffee is brewing. I am so happy with this coffee maker and have retired Mr. Coffee. Plus I love really hot coffee, which the percolator produces. The old drip coffee maker produced mildly hot coffee.
apoe 3/4
laurie
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by laurie »

TLS wrote:I bought the Colletti Stainless Steel percolator after reading this thread about aluminum
Thanks for sharing information about this percolator and thanks for raising my hope meter! When I shared the coffee maker information with a friend who is in her 70's she said oh percolators I can go back to making coffee the way I did many years ago.
Apoe 3/4

Dennis N Crouse
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

I have a friend who has used a percolator for years just because it reminds her every morning of her grandmother. Now that's a value-added cup of coffee!
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

laurie wrote:
Type 2 – Dr. Bredesen’s Type 2 is actually part of the biochemical fingerprint of aluminum accumulation. Dr. Bredesen mentions that lower than normal levels of active vitamin D and higher than normal levels of homocysteine are usually the biochemical fingerprint of his Type 2 Alzheimer’s. Aluminum inhibits active vitamin D biosynthesis lowering levels of active vitamin D. Also aluminum inhibits the methylation of homocysteine resulting in an increase of homocysteine in blood plasma. Aluminum does this by both inhibiting the expression of methionine synthase and the activation of this enzyme.
Waly, M., et al.; Activation of methionine synthase by insulin-like growth factor-1 and dopamine: a target for neurodevelopmental toxins and thimerosal; Mol. Psychiatry 9, 358-70 (2004)
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14745455
Waly, M. I-A., and Deth, R.; Neurodevelopmental toxins deplete glutathione and inhibit folate and vitamin B12-dependent methionine synthase activity – a link between oxidative stress and autism; FASEB J; 22:894 1 (2008)
http://www.fasebj.org/content/22/1_Supplement/894.1
Seems like this would be easy to test. Someone with higher homocysteine could start consuming "Silicade." per Dr. Crouse. Then retest homocysteine after a while.
Tincup
E3,E4
laurie
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by laurie »

Tincup wrote:
laurie wrote:
Type 2 – Dr. Bredesen’s Type 2 is actually part of the biochemical fingerprint of aluminum accumulation. Dr. Bredesen mentions that lower than normal levels of active vitamin D and higher than normal levels of homocysteine are usually the biochemical fingerprint of his Type 2 Alzheimer’s.
Seems like this would be easy to test. Someone with higher homocysteine could start consuming "Silicade." per Dr. Crouse. Then retest homocysteine after a while.
Tincup thanks for your post. You can also drink Fiji water if you don't want to make silicade. My husband, Dr. Crouse had high homocysteine and has lowered it. He lowered it by 50% and the level is now in the normal range. He is drinking silicade but he also took 5-MTHF, TMG 500mg , and decreased his alcohol consumption to 3 days a week. Here is a write up on what he did.

"Visiting my Doctor
Recently I looked at the results of my blood work for my last physical examination only to find that serum homocysteine had not been analyzed. My doctor of 25 years, who specialized in cardiology, had retired and a younger doctor who specializes in gastroenterology took over his caseload. During my next annual physical visit with my new doctor I requested a homocysteine analysis. The blood work came back showing I have elevated total serum homocysteine with 15μM/L of homocysteine. I asked my doctor for his advice on how to lower this elevated homocysteine level. In order to give me this advice he first had to ask my former, and now retired doctor, what he might advise. The answer was a daily supplement of folic acid (1mg = 1,000mcg). This is the correct answer although more information would have been useful. For starters folic acid and folate are not the same. Folic acid is a synthetic mono-glutamate of folic acid while dietary folate is a natural product containing polyglutamates of folic acid that are quickly converted to 5-MTHF (a.k.a. methyl folate, levomefolic acid) in your body.
A more complete answer would also have mentioned that 400mcg/day is the normal recommended daily supplemental dose of folic acid and that there can be side-effects of higher doses of folic acid. These side-effects can include abdominal cramps, diarrhea, rash, sleep disorders, irritability, confusion, nausea, stomach upset, behavior changes, skin reactions, seizures, gas, excitability, and a tendency toward anxiety. Also 1mg of folic acid taken daily as a supplement has been linked to an increased risk of prostate cancer while dietary folate is linked to a slightly decreased risk of prostate cancer.
If your doctor recommends taking supplemental folic acid for high homocysteine levels, first check the label on your B vitamin complex. You may be already taking 400mcg of folic acid a day as part of your daily B vitamin complex. 5-MTHF (a.k.a. methyl folate, levomefolic acid) is more effective than folic acid at lowering homocysteine. Also taking 5-MTHF is essential for those people with the MTHFR gene who have an impaired ability to use folic acid. Folic acid and 5-MTHF have the same side-effects. If taking other drugs, check 5-MTHF on the internet for drug interactions.
This experience shows that you may have to ask your doctor for a homocysteine analysis of your blood. Once the results are back the amount of advice you get as what to do about high levels may depend upon your doctor’s specialty. High homocysteine levels can be treated with the low cost non-patented non-prescription folic acid or 5-MTHF and, if you are not diabetic, TMG. "
Apoe 3/4

Dennis N Crouse
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

laurie wrote: Type 2 – Dr. Bredesen’s Type 2 is actually part of the biochemical fingerprint of aluminum accumulation. Dr. Bredesen mentions that lower than normal levels of active vitamin D and higher than normal levels of homocysteine are usually the biochemical fingerprint of his Type 2 Alzheimer’s. Aluminum inhibits active vitamin D biosynthesis lowering levels of active vitamin D. Also aluminum inhibits the methylation of homocysteine resulting in an increase of homocysteine in blood plasma. Aluminum does this by both inhibiting the expression of methionine synthase and the activation of this enzyme.
Hi Laurie,
I have followed this discussion since you first introduced it, and first of all want to thank you for spotlighting the importance of eliminating aluminum toxicity. I appreciate your sharing your husband's valuable research with us all. You have definitely increased my awareness of the risks of aluminum toxicity and also of the many sources of exposure. Since reading your posts, I am drinking Fiji water regularly. Have not replaced my French press coffee maker yet, though I suspect the metal parts are aluminum. I did pitch out the electric kettle with its aluminum coil.
But as someone who is following Dr Bredesen's Protocol myself , attended the 3 day IFM/Bredesen practitioner training, and have read The End of Alzheimer's, I feel that your focusing on only Vitamin D and homocysteine as markers for Type 2 is an oversimplification. Presentations at the training and the parts of the book related to Type 2 consider many other factors. Optimizing all hormones is emphasized. In my own case, I have had blood tests for estrogen, progesterone, testosterone, thyroid and DHEA as well as Vitamin D and homocysteine and many of the other recommended tests. My vitamin D and homocysteine levels were within the Bredesen target range. Estrogen, progesterone, testosterone and DHEA were all extremely low.
My understanding is that the low levels of these hormones were the result of menopause, not aluminum accumulation. In her presentation on hormones, Dr Ann Hathaway presented a strong case for bringing all of these hormones to the recommended levels because of the trophic support they provide to the brain.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health