Aluminum as a causal factor of Alzheimer's - Introduction of myself to the community

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
laurie
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Aluminum as a causal factor of Alzheimer's - Introduction of myself to the community

Post by laurie »

jenniferthequeen wrote:Hey Everyone - hope you’re having a nice summer (if it is Summer in your hemisphere)....

I have a question about aluminum. I didn’t see it in the thread.... I drink a lot of canned seltzer daily. Is that adding aluminum to my diet?

If so...would using a soda stream to make seltzer using Fiji-type water still confer the benefits? I am a bubble addict....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yes aluminum cans can be a source of aluminum. The cans are lined with a plastic but if the plastic gets compromised in any way aluminum will get into your drink. If you do drink out of cans drink right away as the plastic liner will degrade over time. Also a dented can will compromise the plastic barrier or squishing the can as you drink which I see people do. Yes you can carbonate your Fiji type water and it will not change the silica content. I make silicade and I then use my soda stream penguin to carbonate my water. Here is a list of daily sources of aluminum. http://aluminum-alzheimers-autism.blogs ... ?q=sources
Apoe 3/4

"True prevention is only possible by first discovering the cause of a disease such as Alzheimer's."
Dennis N Crouse
WillsMeme
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Aluminum as a causal factor of Alzheimer's - Introduction of myself to the community

Post by WillsMeme »

I have been using a Whirlpool under-sink reverse osmosis filter for years, but I have just read some reviews that say it is poor at removing aluminum but good at removing microbes. Has anyone had experience with this brand? Maybe I should just run my RO water through a Zero Water pitcher filter. Is that overkill?
"Fortune favors the prepared mind." -- Louis Pasteur
laurie
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by laurie »

WillsMeme wrote:I have been using a Whirlpool under-sink reverse osmosis filter for years, but I have just read some reviews that say it is poor at removing aluminum but good at removing microbes. Has anyone had experience with this brand? Maybe I should just run my RO water through a Zero Water pitcher filter. Is that overkill?

I would worry about drinking distilled water as you will be missing out on minerals needed by our bodies. I want to be drinking water that is high in silica and don't want to remove the silica from the water I drink. A Brita pitcher filter removes aluminum while keeping the silica. My husband who is a chemist analyzed a few filters and here are the results.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Apoe 3/4

"True prevention is only possible by first discovering the cause of a disease such as Alzheimer's."
Dennis N Crouse
Rainbow
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Rainbow »

Thanks for all the information in this thread. I have a question: are electric kettles completely out of the question? I am looking for a decent water-boiling device with an aluminum-free heating element. Happy to buy a stovetop kettle if needed. If anyone has suggestions, please let me know!
4/4
laurie
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by laurie »

Rainbow wrote:Thanks for all the information in this thread. I have a question: are electric kettles completely out of the question? I am looking for a decent water-boiling device with an aluminum-free heating element. Happy to buy a stovetop kettle if needed. If anyone has suggestions, please let me know!
I have a tea kettle made by Krups but it is no longer available. Check out the Krups site they have other electric tea kettles. Here is one similar to the one I bought (mine has a glass carafe). https://www.breville.com/us/en/products/tea/bke820.html
Apoe 3/4

Dennis N Crouse
Rainbow
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Rainbow »

laurie wrote:I have a tea kettle made by Krups but it is no longer available. Check out the Krups site they have other electric tea kettles. Here is one similar to the one I bought (mine has a glass carafe). https://www.breville.com/us/en/products/tea/bke820.html
Thanks, Laurie!
4/4
rrmolo
Contributor
Contributor

Post by rrmolo »

Be sure to check out the 4 minute video on Amazon re this kettle before you decide.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Hi Laurie! I'd be very curious to hear your husband's take on this recent paper:

Effect of Aluminum-Maltolate on the Content of Aβ Protein and the Expression of ApoER2, VLDLRs, and LRP1 in PC12-ApoE4 Cells.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30649678
Abstract
To investigate the effect of aluminum-maltolate [Al(mal)3] on the expression of ApoER2, VLDLRs, and LRP1 in PC12-ApoE4 cells. The lentiviral vector carrying human ApoE4 gene was transfected into PC12 cells; after screening with puromycin, PC12 cells carrying ApoE4 gene (PC12-ApoE4 cells) were established. After 24-h treatment with Al(mal)3, the cell survival rate was measured by CCK-8 assay. The expression of Aβ40 and Aβ42 was detected by ELISA assay; the expression of the APP, ApoER2, LRP1, and VLDLRs genes was detected by RT-PCR, and Western blot assay was used to detect the expression of the APP, ApoER2, LRP1, and VLDLRs proteins. Factorial experiment design was performed to analyze interaction between cell type and Al dose. Al(mal)3 treatment induced dose-dependent decreases of survival rate in the two cell groups and dose-dependent increases of Aβ42 content(P < 0.05). The expressions of ApoER2, LRP1, and VLDLR proteins and their mRNA transcription decreased gradually with the increase of Al(mal)3 doses (P < 0.05), while the expression of APP protein and mRNA transcription gradually increased with the increase of Al(mal)3 doses (P < 0.05). As regard to the interaction of cell type and Al dose, the decrease of cell survival rate and the increase of the Aβ42 were both statistically significant (P < 0.05). And the decrease of ApoER2 and LRP1 proteins was both statistically significant too (P < 0.05). The effect of Al(mal)3 and ApoE4 gene on the survival rate and the increase of Aβ content in PC12 cells. That is to say, there is interaction between ApoE4 gene and aluminum on the Aβ content, especially the change of the Aβ42 content, which may be related to the down-regulation of the expression of ApoER2 and LRP1 proteins. [Emphasis mine.]
harpsicon
Contributor
Contributor

Post by harpsicon »

Laurie,

Do you have any information on the EveryDropWater brand filters found in a whole lot of refrigerators?

Thanks in advace!
laurie
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by laurie »

harpsicon wrote:Laurie,

Do you have any information on the EveryDropWater brand filters found in a whole lot of refrigerators?

Thanks in advace!
Here is the post I couldn't find. Glad you found my reply to this question.
Apoe 3/4

Dennis N Crouse