Aluminum as a causal factor of Alzheimer's - Introduction of myself to the community

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
laurie
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Aluminum as a causal factor of Alzheimer's - Introduction of myself to the community

Post by laurie »

circular wrote:Okay, so I've been drinking Fiji water daily. I don't measure it, but it's normally at least 16 oz. I still use aluminum containing antiperspirant, but about half as much. My serum aluminum, for what that's worth, has gone from 6 ug/L (0-9) in May 2016 to 3 ug/L this month, two years later. Maybe this just fluctuates anyway, but it's headed in the right direction if subsequent labs support a trend.

Any thoughts on whether serum aluminum is even worth testing over some of the more comprehensive urine metal tests? I suspect urinary is better and I've wasted my money twice?
Circular Thanks for the update. Urine testing for aluminum is more reliable than serum aluminum levels. Your serum aluminum levels will fluctuate like you say based on what you ingest and eliminate prior to the test. Keep doing what you were doing prior to this last test! Dr. Exley (the researcher who did the silica water study with people with Alzheimer's recommends drinking 3 to 4 cups a day of silica rich water for protection against aluminum. You may want to add another glass. I see below tincup gave you a suggestion about an aluminum free deodorant idea. There are some other threads in this forum of aluminum free products people use.
Last edited by laurie on Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apoe 3/4

"True prevention is only possible by first discovering the cause of a disease such as Alzheimer's."
Dennis N Crouse
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Aluminum as a causal factor of Alzheimer's - Introduction of myself to the community

Post by circular »

laurie wrote:Serum aluminum testing is more reliable than urine testing.
Thanks, can you explain that? It seems urine testing for metals is all the rage these days. Sorry, maybe it's in the thread. I can't take the time to read it now.

Also I'm wondering if there is any way the silica could be removing other metals as well, including one's we need to have a certain amount of.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Tincup wrote:
circular wrote: I still use aluminum containing antiperspirant, but about half as much.
I wasn't using a deodorant with aluminum, but wanted to get rid of the chemicals anyway. Hence I purchased a bag of magnesium hydroxide powder. I put this powder in a used glass spice container with a shaker lid. I just shake some powder on my hand and and spread under my arm. It works well.
Thanks Tincup. I once tried a non-aluminum deodorant and for some reason my skin reacted to the magnesium in it, at least that was the ingredient that made the most sense to me at the time. There wasn't much else in it. Maybe your form will work. What I really want though is some antiperspirant effect. I'm finding I need very little and will probably cut back in half again on what I'm using, while increasing the silica water, and wait and see about the next test ...
laurie
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by laurie »

circular wrote:
laurie wrote:Serum aluminum testing is more reliable than urine testing.
Thanks, can you explain that? It seems urine testing for metals is all the rage these days. Sorry, maybe it's in the thread. I can't take the time to read it now.

Also I'm wondering if there is any way the silica could be removing other metals as well, including one's we need to have a certain amount of.

Circular YIKES! Sorry! I just checked with my husband and I got it backwards. Urine tests are more reliable than serum aluminum tests. So yes maybe you can save some money. Silica will not remove any of other minerals, metals etc. silica only as an affinity to aluminum. Silica doesn't remove iron which has the same valance and size.

I CORRECTED MY ERROR IN MY EARLIER POST
Apoe 3/4

"True prevention is only possible by first discovering the cause of a disease such as Alzheimer's."
Dennis N Crouse
laurie
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by laurie »

circular wrote:
Tincup wrote:
circular wrote: I still use aluminum containing antiperspirant, but about half as much.
Thanks Tincup. I once tried a non-aluminum deodorant and for some reason my skin reacted to the magnesium in it, at least that was the ingredient that made the most sense to me at the time. There wasn't much else in it. Maybe your form will work. What I really want though is some antiperspirant effect. I'm finding I need very little and will probably cut back in half again on what I'm using, while increasing the silica water, and wait and see about the next test ...
Circular Did the non-aluminum deodorant you used contain baking soda? I have 2 friends who got a rash from baking soda in deodorant. When I googled this it looks like many people have this happen. Schimdts has made a stick for sensitive skin which has no baking soda.
Apoe 3/4

Dennis N Crouse
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Thanks for the correction. Argh, money wasted. Would've been better off with the expensive urine test that checks a lot more.

I no longer recall what product caused the irritation. I've tried a number of them and never found one I liked. I'll put Tincup's idea on a list to things to try.

Edit: I think it was Green Tidings All Natural Deodorant:

Ingredients
Organic Virgin Coconut Oil, Organic Shea Butter (Unrefined, Fair Trade), Magnesium Oil, Manuhot Esculenta (Tapioca) Starch, Aluminum-Free Baking Soda (sodium bicarbonate), Wildcrafted Candelilla Wax (Euphorbia Cerifera). 100% pure lavender essential oil added in lavender scent version ONLY.

So it does have baking soda. I remember I had read that magnesium in these products irritates some people's skin, so I assumed that was it. I think of baking soda being quite gentle. I think for kicks I'll try straight baking soda and see what happens.
chrissyr
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by chrissyr »

I have made and used and liked the second one listed here-- just coconut oil, baking soda, and arrowroot. When I added essential oils my skin reacted, so I leave that out.
chrissyr
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by chrissyr »

Oh no, wrong file :oops: ! But I will leave it there as it's a pic of my mom dancing a few weeks ago at her assisted living memory care (if you can open she is on the left)
Here is the correct link:
https://wellnessmama.com/1523/natural-deodorant/
laurie
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by laurie »

circular wrote:I think for kicks I'll try straight baking soda and see what happens.
Let me know the results.
Apoe 3/4

Dennis N Crouse
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

circular wrote:T Magnesium Oil
So it does have baking soda. I remember I had read that magnesium in these products irritates some people's skin, so I assumed that was it. I think of baking soda being quite gentle. I think for kicks I'll try straight baking soda and see what happens.
My experience is mag oil is much more likely to be irritating that mag hydroxide (I buy mag chloride in 20 kg bags. mag oil is a super saturated solution of mag chloride and water). You can test this quickly with milk of magnesia (get one with just mag hydroxide and purified water - Kroger has a product that meets this).
Tincup
E3,E4