Aluminum as a causal factor of Alzheimer's - Introduction of myself to the community

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Aluminum as a causal factor of Alzheimer's - Introduction of myself to the community

Post by circular »

J11 wrote:circ, you know what I just thought?
I could put all my nominations for you in all sorts of scattered places on the forum and I could wait to see if you find them?
It could be sort of like an Easter Egg hunt!
I'm in! :lol:
The aluminum/metals hypothesis has been gaining ground for quite some time now ...
This is one of the many reasons I've gotten a bee in my bonnet about air quality and doing what I can to identify where my AQ issues lie and to mitigate them. Metals are included in the 'fine particulate matter'. Especially cancel that trip to the Arctic: 'Due to atmospheric transport and other pathways, the Arctic region, including the Canadian Arctic, is a major receptor of some heavy metals such as mercury, cadmium and lead released from sources in other regions of the world.' [link] There are numerous articles about aluminum issues near aluminum production plants, and apparently its use in industry is so vast that this commodities tracker states: 'Aluminum has been the best performing base metal of 2017 through nine months'.
I am not sure of the price though I am guessing that a urine test for aluminum might not be overly expensive.
I'm thinking why test aluminum in isolation from the other metals. I understand it from the perspective of the silicade experiment, but if I tested aluminum I would want to know if I had greater issues with other metals that maybe I should be focused on.
In terms of the upper limit, I suspect that people would have much more to be worried about with aluminum in their brain than with a trace chemical found in bottled water.
True.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Aluminum as a causal factor of Alzheimer's - Introduction of myself to the community

Post by circular »

Jan wrote:(PS, I always wait until I receive the 20% off coupons in the mail before shopping at BBB.) :-)
FYI BBB always accepts coupons not only long after their expiration date, but also if you take an old receipt in with a new coupon! They're really flexible. I keep a huge stack in my glove compartment ;)
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Regarding the PQQ ... I've been hesitant to take that based on ConsumerLab saying that the amount in supplements is waaaaaay higher than what we'd normally make or take in. I'm late for bed so maybe will look up later if anyone's interested. Not saying that's necessarily a good reason not to take it, but it does make me feel cautious about it.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

J11 wrote: This is just crazy dangerous, we are going to have to toss it. The Alzheimer community should publicly boycott
these products which are known to have potent dementogenic effects. The supplements that add in inorganic
copper are also super nuts, they should also be boycotted.
I love this idea! The apoe4.info board is probably much to overworked to take it on, but if a list of agreed upon dementogens could be created as a Boycott Dementogens! PR tool ... what a great idea!
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

The aluminum topic came up with a friend the other day and she had a friend who was eating alot at a restaurant that was all about health food ... except that she tested very high in aluminum and found out they were using aluminum pans. I wonder if certain types of cuisine or restaurants are more likely to be using these pans, lightweight for the cooks using them all day etc.
Jan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jan »

circular wrote:
Jan wrote:(PS, I always wait until I receive the 20% off coupons in the mail before shopping at BBB.) :-)
FYI BBB always accepts coupons not only long after their expiration date, but also if you take an old receipt in with a new coupon! They're really flexible. I keep a huge stack in my glove compartment ;)
I knew about the old receipt with a new coupon (but don’t always remember to check), but I’ve been storing them in date order and routinely culling by date. I should ask more questions! Thanks for the tip, Circ. :-)
Last edited by Jan on Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
mrc cfnc fmchc
IFM/Bredesen Reversing Cognitive Decline training 2017
E2/E2
What is, is. What is, can be changed.
laurie
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by laurie »

We need a chemist once again for this discussion. Here is my husband’s (Dennis n Crouse) response. 100 ppm of dissolved silica in drinking water is GRAS ( generally regarded as safe ) by the FDA. 100 ppm is half the saturation level for silica in water. So to answer your question j11 you can’t safely reduce the amount of water with silica because It will be too close to the saturation level.
If you swallow a solid silicate with no water such as magnesium trisilicate that has a track record of causing silica stones in your urinary track.
Daveward in a 2013 study found out of 14 non AD participants 13 increase their excretion of aluminum by drinking silica water.
Apoe 3/4

"True prevention is only possible by first discovering the cause of a disease such as Alzheimer's."
Dennis N Crouse
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

By the way Life Extension has a serum aluminum test, but I'm not sure that's as good as the urine type 'clinically' and for the money, at $80.

5/24/16 Life Extension serum aluminum =6 ug/L in a range of 0-9. No doubt a level of 0 would be best, but does anyone get that low?

Interestingly, Life Extension's description for the aluminum test says:
People with chronic renal failure, especially if they are on long-term hemodialysis, are particularly susceptible to accumulation of aluminum in their bones.
So another thing we should be focused on is whatever raises risk of kidney disease, assuming that when aluminum accumulates in the bones it's also going to the brain?
laurie
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by laurie »

Regarding Kidney disease your kidney's aren't working correctly and therefore you can't excrete aluminum. Vitamin D will help the elimination of aluminum. If you want any of these references please contact me.

"Beyond its prevention of rickets, vitamin D has been shown to facilitate the lowering of aluminum levels in the serum of children and the bones, liver, and brain of rats with high levels of aluminum due to kidney disease289,608. Kidney disease results in both lower levels of vitamin D and higher levels of aluminum in serum. During 2009, 10 pediatric patients with kidney disease and 20 healthy controls were studied. It was found that 4 weeks of active vitamin D supplementation (not D3 supplementation) at a level of 15-45ng/kg/day (dosed according to their parathyroid hormone levels) resulted in serum aluminum concentrations declining from a median level of 27.2ng/ml to 3.8ng/ml as compared with a median level of 2.5ng/ml for healthy controls289. There was also a reversal of high aluminum levels in the tissues, including the brains, of the children with kidney disease304,609. Figure 9 emphasizes this dramatic reversal:
Figure 9 Vitamin D lowers elevated aluminum levels in children.jpg
Figure 9 – Vitamin D lowers elevated aluminum levels in children289

Kidney disease frequently goes undiagnosed. This can be because a marker for kidney disease, parathyroid hormone – PTH, at first enhances aluminum absorption and aluminum accumulation in the brain and bones304,305. Once the aluminum levels get sufficiently high in the parathyroid gland, the aluminum disguises the kidney disease by then inhibiting PTH production by the parathyroid gland610. Aluminum also inhibits the production of active vitamin D from D2 in the kidneys of rats, dogs, and humans300,301,611. Therefore aluminum absorption may be one of the reasons for the prevalence of active vitamin D deficiency in the U.S. population302."

289. Azik, F.M., et al.; A different interaction between parathyroid hormone, calcitriol, and serum aluminum in chronic kidney disease; a pilot study; Int. Urol. Nephrol.; 43:467-470 (2011)
301. Goodman, W.G., et al.; Parenteral aluminum administration in the dog II. Induction of osteomalcia and effect on vitamin D metabolism; Kidney Int.; 25:370-75 (1984)
302. Adit, A., et al.; Demographic differences and trends of vitamin D insufficiency in the US population, 1988-2004; Arch. Intern. Med. 169(6):626-632 (2009)
304, Mayor G.H., et al.; Parathyroid hormone-mediated aluminum deposition and egress in the rat; Kidney Int.; Jan.; 17(1):40-4 (1980)
305. Constantini, S.; Distribution of aluminum following intraperitoneal injection of aluminum lactate in the rat; Pharmacol. Oxicol.; Jan.; 64(1):47-50 (1989)
608. Hershberg, R.; et al.; Organ distribution of aluminum in uremic rats: influence of parathyroid hormone and 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3; Miner Electrolyte Metab.; 11:106-110 (1985)
609. Mayor, G.H., et al.; Impaired renal function and aluminum metabolism; Fed. Proc.; Oct.; 42(13):297-83 (1983)
611. Klein, G.L., et al.; Serum levels of 1,25-dihyroxyvitamin D in children receiving parenteral nutrition with reduced aluminum content; J. Pediatr. Gastroenterol. Nutr.; Feb.; 4(1):93-6 (1985)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by laurie on Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Apoe 3/4

"True prevention is only possible by first discovering the cause of a disease such as Alzheimer's."
Dennis N Crouse
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

laurie wrote:Regarding Kidney disease your kidney's aren't working correctly and therefore you can't excrete aluminum. Vitamin D will help the elimination of aluminum. If you want any of these references please contact me.
Hey Laurie;

This website is definitely a group project and posting of references along with the statement is appreciated. That way more of our community can be involved in the conversation and learn together, rather than relying on private messaging. I encourage you to always include the references in your commentaries.
Slacker
E4/E4