Aluminum as a causal factor of Alzheimer's - Introduction of myself to the community

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
sarahb12
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Aluminum as a causal factor of Alzheimer's - Introduction of myself to the community

Post by sarahb12 »

I'd like to try to figure out if the areas that have highIsh APOE4, but low AD in the elderly have high amounts of silica in their water/diet.

S
E3/E4
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Aluminum as a causal factor of Alzheimer's - Introduction of myself to the community

Post by TheBrain »

My new far infrared (FIR) sauna is most likely being delivered tomorrow. My understanding is that FIR sauna sessions can remove heavy metals from the body. I'm wondering if aluminum is one of them. I've tried searching PubMed but didn't find a quick answer (I didn't go down any rabbit holes). It seems like aluminum isn't always considered a heavy metal (but I gather a toxic metal, nonetheless).

Actually, the aluminum in deodorants/antiperspirants is intended to reduce sweating, not body order. Obviously, no one should use aluminum-based deodorant before stepping into a sauna. I've tried a lot of different underarm products that don't contain aluminum, and they have all failed me, but due to body odor, not so much from sweating. But I haven't tried the brands mentioned in this thread. I'll give them a try.
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!
Jan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jan »

Here's a report from the ASTDR - Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry. It is a light metal.

https://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/substances/to ... p?toxid=34

Excerpt:
Affected Organ Systems: musculoskeletal, neurological, respiratory

Aluminum is the most abundant metal in the earth's crust. It is always found combined with other elements such as oxygen, silicon, and fluorine. ... often mixed with small amounts of other metals to form aluminum alloys, which are stronger.

And here is where it places on ASTDR's Substance Priority List: https://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/spl/
(based on combination of frequency, toxicity, and potential for human exposure ...) number 183
mrc cfnc fmchc
IFM/Bredesen Reversing Cognitive Decline training 2017
E2/E2
What is, is. What is, can be changed.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Jan & Laurie- I'm in the market for new cookware. I'm interested in the Zwilling/Henckels brand. Could you point to specific items in their lineup that you've identified as safe? TIA :D
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

Thanks, Jan. Much appreciated. This information from the ASTDR is very helpful, not just with respect to aluminum.
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!
Jan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jan »

I think this is the set I have. Got it at Bed Bath and Beyond. I see that it has aluminum, but it's encapsulated. PTFE and PFOA free Ceraforce nonstick ceramic interior coating. At the time we did the research (a few months ago) it was the safest we found. I truly never use high heat, especially in the oven. But I cook by "feel" anyway, which causes consternation for my (much better cook, but more by the book) husband. :-) And we routinely use lower heat on the burners, which probably accounts for it being easily cleaned. But let's ask laurie for her opinion, as I am by no means an expert! (PS, I always wait until I receive the 20% off coupons in the mail before shopping at BBB.) :-)

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/ ... g+cookware
mrc cfnc fmchc
E2/E2
Jan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jan »

TheBrain wrote:Thanks, Jan. Much appreciated. This information from the ASTDR is very helpful, not just with respect to aluminum.
I found that source in Patricia Lemer's book. She has 40 years experience in working with children with autism (and other problems) and is very knowledgeable about the myriad of "ordinary" things that negatively affect children - effects that often carry into adulthood.
mrc cfnc fmchc
E2/E2
laurie
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by laurie »

sarahb12 wrote:I'd like to try to figure out if the areas that have highIsh APOE4, but low AD in the elderly have high amounts of silica in their water/diet.

S
Sarah Yes I would love to look at the Yoruban's (the Nigerians) where this is the case. Stay tune my husband is working on researching silica in the Blue Zone areas. We are going to try to look at Nigeria also. It is a challenging but worthwhile research project.
Apoe 3/4

"True prevention is only possible by first discovering the cause of a disease such as Alzheimer's."
Dennis N Crouse
laurie
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by laurie »

Jan wrote:I think this is the set I have. Got it at Bed Bath and Beyond. I see that it has aluminum, but it's encapsulated. PTFE and PFOA free Ceraforce nonstick ceramic interior coating. At the time we did the research (a few months ago) it was the safest we found. I truly never use high heat, especially in the oven. But I cook by "feel" anyway, which causes consternation for my (much better cook, but more by the book) husband. :-) And we routinely use lower heat on the burners, which probably accounts for it being easily cleaned. But let's ask laurie for her opinion, as I am by no means an expert! (PS, I always wait until I receive the 20% off coupons in the mail before shopping at BBB.) :-)

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/ ... g+cookware
Jan I am not an expert either but I do have a chemist in my household which gives me an advantage. When my husband did the research for us Thermolon was the coating he felt would be the most stable. Zwilling/ Henkel does make a stainless pan with this coating. If anyone has a nonstick pan where you can see the aluminum metal throw it away. Of course the best choice for pans is all stainless steel, cast iron, copper, or enamel.
Apoe 3/4

"True prevention is only possible by first discovering the cause of a disease such as Alzheimer's."
Dennis N Crouse
laurie
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by laurie »

Regarding nonstick pan by Zwilling/Henkel If you want to be super safe only buy stainless steel, copper, cast iron, or enamel. However nonstick is really nice. Thermolon is the coating my husband says is stable. I will ask him about the coating PTFE PFOA Jan mentioned. I had trouble finding the pan I bought. It is really sad there are so many unsafe materials used in cookware. At the moment I can't find the pan on the web.
Apoe 3/4

Dennis N Crouse