Aluminum as a causal factor of Alzheimer's - Introduction of myself to the community

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
laurie
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Aluminum as a causal factor of Alzheimer's - Introduction of myself to the community

Post by laurie »

floramaria wrote:
But as someone who is following Dr Bredesen's Protocol myself , attended the 3 day IFM/Bredesen practitioner training, and have read The End of Alzheimer's, I feel that your focusing on only Vitamin D and homocysteine as markers for Type 2 is an oversimplification.
Floramaria, Thanks for your post. Yes preventing Alzheimer's takes a multifaceted approach. Yes there may well be other biomarkers for Bredesen's Type 2.
I am pleased to see that people are utilizing the information I have shared about aluminum.
Thanks for the information on french press coffee makers. I wasn't aware that some are made of aluminum. There is way too much aluminum in our world.
Apoe 3/4

"True prevention is only possible by first discovering the cause of a disease such as Alzheimer's."
Dennis N Crouse
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Aluminum as a causal factor of Alzheimer's - Introduction of myself to the community

Post by floramaria »

laurie wrote: Thanks for the information on french press coffee makers. I wasn't aware that some are made of aluminum. There is way too much aluminum in our world.
Hi Laurie, Your reply has spurred me into action. Funny how my avoidance was working. In my post I say that I suspect that the metal in the coffee press might be aluminum. I had been avoiding actually researching the French press coffee makers because I didn’t want to have to give mine up. :roll: I love French press coffee!
Good new: The Bodum coffee presses appear to use stainless steel, not aluminum, as the metal parts. I have written to the company to verify that.
Now , back to enjoying my coffee!
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
laurie
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by laurie »

floramaria wrote: :roll: I love French press coffee!
Good new: The Bodum coffee presses appear to use stainless steel, not aluminum, as the metal parts. I have written to the company to verify that.
Now , back to enjoying my coffee!
It is hard to give up a beloved coffee maker. I have 3 close friends who have not been able to do it. One bought an aluminum free coffee maker and said the coffee tasted like instant coffee and went back to their old machine making aluminum coffee.
Apoe 3/4

"True prevention is only possible by first discovering the cause of a disease such as Alzheimer's."
Dennis N Crouse
laurie
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by laurie »

Here is a link to a video my husband Dennis N Crouse made on coffee makers as a source of aluminum. This is an easy way to share this information with your family and friends. The video gives you information on the coffee makers he tested and the amount of aluminum being added to your coffee. Coffee makers that don't add aluminum are also shown. In the video you will see the aluminum tube which is why aluminum is being added to your coffee. https://youtu.be/Jmt9keoVz08
Apoe 3/4

Dennis N Crouse
Grace
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Grace »

Hi Laurie and welcome,

I am curious about cooking with aluminum foil - is that also a risk? If so, is there some substitute that is safe?

Thanks!
apod
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by apod »

Grace wrote:Hi Laurie and welcome,

I am curious about cooking with aluminum foil - is that also a risk? If so, is there some substitute that is safe?

Thanks!
I usually go with parchment paper on a baking sheet or glassware.
laurie
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by laurie »

Grace wrote:Hi Laurie and welcome,

Thanks!
Aluminum foil is not safe especially when you are cooking with acidic food. apod has a good suggestion using parchment paper instead. Reynolds also makes a non stick aluminum foil. If you are interested in learning more about of sources of aluminum I have compiled a list. http://aluminum-alzheimers-autism.blogs ... ?q=sources
Apoe 3/4

Dennis N Crouse
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Okay, so I've been drinking Fiji water daily. I don't measure it, but it's normally at least 16 oz. I still use aluminum containing antiperspirant, but about half as much. My serum aluminum, for what that's worth, has gone from 6 ug/L (0-9) in May 2016 to 3 ug/L this month, two years later. Maybe this just fluctuates anyway, but it's headed in the right direction if subsequent labs support a trend.

Any thoughts on whether serum aluminum is even worth testing over some of the more comprehensive urine metal tests? I suspect urinary is better and I've wasted my money twice?
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

laurie wrote:Vitamin D will help the elimination of aluminum...

"Beyond its prevention of rickets, vitamin D has been shown to facilitate the lowering of aluminum levels in the serum of children and the bones, liver, and brain of rats with high levels of aluminum due to kidney disease289,608. Kidney disease results in both lower levels of vitamin D and higher levels of aluminum in serum. During 2009, 10 pediatric patients with kidney disease and 20 healthy controls were studied. It was found that 4 weeks of active vitamin D supplementation (not D3 supplementation) at a level of 15-45ng/kg/day (dosed according to their parathyroid hormone levels) resulted in serum aluminum concentrations declining from a median level of 27.2ng/ml to 3.8ng/ml as compared with a median level of 2.5ng/ml for healthy controls289. There was also a reversal of high aluminum levels in the tissues, including the brains, of the children with kidney disease304,609.
Thanks Laurie, small study there but I see my vitamin D supplementation may also be helping. My 3 ug/L is darn near the healthy controls with 2.5 ng/mL ... will stay the course.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

circular wrote: I still use aluminum containing antiperspirant, but about half as much.
I wasn't using a deodorant with aluminum, but wanted to get rid of the chemicals anyway. Hence I purchased a bag of magnesium hydroxide powder. I put this powder in a used glass spice container with a shaker lid. I just shake some powder on my hand and and spread under my arm. It works well.
Tincup
E3,E4