Sources of Aluminum in our daily lives, safer alternatives, words to look for on labels

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
laurie
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Sources of Aluminum in our daily lives, safer alternatives, words to look for on labels

Post by laurie »

circular wrote:Hello laurie, a new source of alumina question for the good chemist ...

I was looking into some pottery plates and mugs etc by HF Coors, a company that prides itself in not having cadmium and lead in their pottery. They indicate that cheaper, commodity pottery ware on the market does and that it will leach into the food. However, this company lists alumina as one of the minerals that goes into their pottery.
Thanks Circular - YIKES ! Another potential source of aluminum ! So the question is will the alumina leach into our food from the pottery. I asked my husband and he said he would have to do some more research. I just learned of a few more new sources this week myself, Dove makes a bar soap in the UK that contains alumina, Dandruff shampoo - Selsun blue contains aluminum and some dry shampoos. I may have to add pottery to my list of sources of aluminum.
Apoe 3/4

"True prevention is only possible by first discovering the cause of a disease such as Alzheimer's."
Dennis N Crouse
laurie
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Sources of Aluminum in our daily lives, safer alternatives, words to look for on labels

Post by laurie »

Brian4 wrote:Laurie, great info – thanks!

One thing:
laurie wrote:Use pitcher style Brita Water filter to remove aluminum and keep silica in the water.
BEWARE: Some water filters add aluminum to the water.
According one review I read (I think it was in Consumer Reports), Brita was one of the filters that added aluminum.

I looked into pitcher filters closely, and determined that ZeroWater is by far the best. I have a large one at home, and I have a small one I travel with.

Brian
Brian my husband Dennis N Crouse who is a chemist has tested both the Brita and Zero filter. You have to be careful here as Brita makes 2 kinds of filters. The filter which removes aluminum and keeps the silica is the 'Brita pitcher style filter (OB03) '. The zero filter removes just about everything leaving you will distilled water. If you filter with a Zero filter you will be loosing the benefit of getting minerals which are essential for you body. I will attach the results of his analysis. If you want to read more about his analysis he has written a book where this testing is presented. [img]
T20.jpg
[/img]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Apoe 3/4

"True prevention is only possible by first discovering the cause of a disease such as Alzheimer's."
Dennis N Crouse
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

laurie wrote:The filter which removes aluminum and keeps the silica is the 'Brita pitcher style filter (OB03) '.
Good thing this came up again. I either missed or forgot that tidbit and was using their long lasting filters.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

This is confusing. At the Brita site I don't see the OB03 filter listed. At Amazon it looks like this.
laurie
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by laurie »

circular wrote:This is confusing. At the Brita site I don't see the OB03 filter listed. At Amazon it looks like this.
You found the correct filter. Look at the top of the description is says OB03. I am glad my post helped you out.
Apoe 3/4

Dennis N Crouse
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

laurie wrote:
circular wrote:This is confusing. At the Brita site I don't see the OB03 filter listed. At Amazon it looks like this.
You found the correct filter. Look at the top of the description is says OB03. I am glad my post helped you out.
It just seems odd that Brita doesn't include the OB03 on their own page of available filters and showing just what it filters that's different from the others.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Here's something for the good chemist:

Understanding Glaze and Clay Materials

Apparently the alumina:silica ratio is important. Could it be the silica is binding the alumina and keeping it safe?
Please note that the clays are presented in alphabetical order, and the formulae are presented with alumina (Al2O3) in unity (totaling 1). This makes it easier to immediately see the ratio of alumina to silica, and also more accurately compares the relative amounts of all other components in the clays.
Here's an interesting 2013 paper:
Comparative Study of Leaching of Aluminium from Aluminium, Clay, Stainless Steel, and Steel Cooking Pots
4. Conclusion

Likelihood of leaching occurs mainly in cooking utensils due to factors of temperature and pH, as well as the release of the ions as the years accumulated. Aluminium contamination of the foods tested rice samples from both old and new pots of aluminium, clay, steel, and stainless steel was insufficient to constitute a hazard to health. The fact still remains that once aluminium exceeds the acceptable limit from daily ingestion of food cooked in these pots, coupled with other sources from the environment, diseases such as loss of memory, damage to central nervous system, dementia, severe trembling, and listlessness have adverse effects on health.
I would think there would be a lot of differences between different clay cooking and serving pieces, and whether just having hot coffee in a mug or hot food on a plate is enough to leach aluminum ions or not. It would be interesting to know what effect glazes have on the leaching of various ions. Can a strong glaze form a protective shell, or would the glazes themselves be making their own contributions to our 'nutrition'?
Last edited by circular on Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
laurie
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by laurie »

Thanks circular. I will share the links with Dennis. It will be a while before he gets to look at the information as he is busy finishing writing his second book which will be published in September. This time he has written on the benefits of Silica water. The title of the book is 'Silica Water the Secret of Healthy Blue Zone Longevity in the Aluminum Age'.
Apoe 3/4

Dennis N Crouse
laurie
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by laurie »

circular wrote:Hello laurie, a new source of alumina question for the good chemist ...

I was looking into some pottery plates and mugs etc by HF Coors, a company that prides itself in not having cadmium and lead in their pottery. They indicate that cheaper, commodity pottery ware on the market does and that it will leach into the food. However, this company lists alumina as one of the minerals that goes into their pottery.
Circular, Over breakfast this morning I told my husband the information you posted. He got very interested. Am I correct they use the alumina in the glaze ? He is going to buy one of their mugs and test it. You are an incredible detective. I went to the HF Coors site and couldn't find the information on alumina. I want to make sure I buy the correct product. Can you give me a link to the alumina information ? Thanks !
Apoe 3/4

Dennis N Crouse
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

laurie wrote:Can you give me a link to the alumina information ? Thanks !
It’s in this article.

It’s not clear whether it’s in the clay and or glaze, but based on the prior link showing alumina:silica ratios in clays, I’m guessing at least the clay. The article above describes the high quality of this pottery, ie highly chip resistant so desired by restaurants. I’m no chemist, but I’m guessing the molecular bonds are very tight somehow. You could try asking them, but I suspect all their formulas are proprietary. It’s actually a very interesting article.

How great your husband will be testing a mug!
Last edited by circular on Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.