Sources of Aluminum in our daily lives, safer alternatives, words to look for on labels

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Sources of Aluminum in our daily lives, safer alternatives, words to look for on labels

Post by circular »

There's much less written about aluminum in ceramics. The focus always seems to be on the heavy metals, and as you and your husband know, aluminum is a 'light metal'.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Sources of Aluminum in our daily lives, safer alternatives, words to look for on labels

Post by circular »

This page discusses the use of aluminum oxide in ceramics (not necessarily crockery). I gather aluminum oxide, aka alumina, is the precursor to aluminum. Is it as bad? This source calls it ‘bioinert’ and details some of its advantages in the wide, wide world of ceramics.

I was googling this after an HF Coors employee told me she thought aluminum oxide is used in their pottery. She recommended emailing the company for more and better information about it, but I haven’t done so.
kd7
Contributor
Contributor

Post by kd7 »

laurie wrote:[If you are interested in drinking Fiji water or a water high in silica it is recommended you drink 4 cups a day spread out during the day.
There is aluminum in the white porcelain dental fillings. Supposedly it is inert. Will the silica water take aluminum out of these fillings.

Kathryn
laurie
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by laurie »

kd7 wrote:
There is aluminum in the white porcelain dental fillings. Supposedly it is inert. Will the silica water take aluminum out of these fillings.

Kathryn
Kathryn I don't have the answer for you but my husband may research ceramics in the next few weeks. I did a quick google search and I found the same thing you did that the aluminum in dental fillings is tightly bound. If you have any scientific papers about aluminum and dental fillings let me know.
Apoe 3/4

"True prevention is only possible by first discovering the cause of a disease such as Alzheimer's."
Dennis N Crouse
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Okay, found some more ways aluminum is used in everyday products. I wrote Wild Planet to see if their cans are aluminum. Their rectangular cans are, and they are coated with a plastic to make them appropriate for food use. They said a damaged can could have a compromised plastic coating, but they didn’t mention what may happen when you pull the lid from the van and it must break the plastic seal. Meanwhile, who knows what’s in the plastic lining.

Next up there are bags of coffee beans that are aluminum and also have a plastic lining. Opening these usually involves pulling the sides apart at the top, possibly releasing some aluminum.

I then noticed my Four Sigmatic coffee pouch appears to be aluminum with a plastic coating on the inside. Again this gets ripped apart to pour the contents into a mug.

Cutting the coffee packaging may be better.

Granted these may only provide trace amounts of aluminum if any through food, but they serve as examples of why we need to keep drinking silica water.

Now get this: I’ve been trying mattresses out for my LO. There are mattresses and pillows made of ‘cooling materials’ that turn out to use microscopic aluminum to achieve this. If it’s a bed layer sufficiently submerged under top layers, mattress covers etc, maybe those particles can’t ascend up to skin level. But if it’s a top layer??? And the pillows, hmmm, maybe best to avoid altogether, but I don’t know if the microscopic aluminum is stable enough not to be a concern. These are different from ‘cooling gel’ materials in bedding products as far as I know.
laurie
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by laurie »

Circular you are a great aluminum detective - keep researching! Here is another source of aluminum which is beyond frightening as the aluminum from this source goes directly to the brain. I recently learned that some e cigarettes use an aluminum wire for heating the liquid which results in aluminum going directly to your brain resulting in severe brain damage! My husband Dennis N Crouse has written an evidence based write up. I wanted to make a list of the e cigarettes which use the aluminum wire and the ones that don't and I wasn't able to as most manufactures don't include information about the wire. The wire which should be avoided is Kanthal. Juul don't use Kanthal, there website says they use a nichrome coil heater. Of course the nicotine in the e cigarettes is also a major concern as manufactures have found an additional way to get youth addicted to nicotine (I should do a write up about how angry this makes me!!!!). http://prevent-alzheimers-autism-stroke.blogspot.com/
Apoe 3/4

"True prevention is only possible by first discovering the cause of a disease such as Alzheimer's."
Dennis N Crouse
Rainbow
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Rainbow »

Has anyone tested a single-cup drip-style coffee maker? The Bunn My Café has stainless steel parts (according to the use and care booklet). Can one be sure that it's completely aluminum free without testing?
4/4
laurie
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by laurie »

Rainbow wrote:Has anyone tested a single-cup drip-style coffee maker? The Bunn My Café has stainless steel parts (according to the use and care booklet). Can one be sure that it's completely aluminum free without testing?
I looked up the Bunn My Cafe and there is a reservoir in which the water is heated and there is plastic tubing. Someone on You tube tore it apart to fix a leak. So the question is - is this reservoir stainless steel? I couldn't find the answer. My husband tore apart the Bunn speed brew and the reservoir used for this model is stainless steel. So there is hope for the My Cafe model. You may want to contact the company and ask what the reservoir is made of. If you get a response let me know. Thanks.
Apoe 3/4

Dennis N Crouse
Rainbow
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Rainbow »

laurie wrote:I looked up the Bunn My Cafe and there is a reservoir in which the water is heated and there is plastic tubing. Someone on You tube tore it apart to fix a leak. So the question is - is this reservoir stainless steel? I couldn't find the answer. My husband tore apart the Bunn speed brew and the reservoir used for this model is stainless steel. So there is hope for the My Cafe model. You may want to contact the company and ask what the reservoir is made of. If you get a response let me know. Thanks.
Here's an image:
mycafe.png
So I think the reservoir is stainless steel. Plastic tubing doesn't sound too great though, especially if it's in contact with the heated water.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
4/4
laurie
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by laurie »

Here's an image:
mycafe.png
So I think the reservoir is stainless steel. Plastic tubing doesn't sound too great though, especially if it's in contact with the heated water.[/quote]

I just looked up the price, yikes, the reservoir better be stainless steel. Yes it is hard to find a coffee maker that meets all the criteria one has. One of my friends who was looking for a 2 cup coffee maker said we have to go back in time and she is correct. The Faberware Percolator model has no plastic and no aluminum. My husband has tested both of these models and no aluminum is added to the coffee.
Farberware FCP-412
Farberware FCP-240A
Apoe 3/4

Dennis N Crouse