Sources of Aluminum in our daily lives, safer alternatives, words to look for on labels

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Rainbow
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Sources of Aluminum in our daily lives, safer alternatives, words to look for on labels

Post by Rainbow »

laurie wrote:I just looked up the price, yikes, the reservoir better be stainless steel. Yes it is hard to find a coffee maker that meets all the criteria one has. One of my friends who was looking for a 2 cup coffee maker said we have to go back in time and she is correct. The Faberware Percolator model has no plastic and no aluminum. My husband has tested both of these models and no aluminum is added to the coffee.
Farberware FCP-412
Farberware FCP-240A
It's $159.99 on their website — weird that their single-cup coffee maker would be more expensive than almost all of their multi-cup ones. Thanks, I'll check out the Farberware percolators.
4/4
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Sources of Aluminum in our daily lives, safer alternatives, words to look for on labels

Post by circular »

For one-cup coffee making I've turned to a stainless steel filter over my cup and making a pour over. I use the Bonavita water heater, fill it at night, get out of bed in the morning, turn it on (usually always set to 209), hit the 'hold the temperature button', go brush my teeth, and when I return it's ready to pour. Really very quick to make and clean and so good.

I use this one but there are others like it that don't require reusable filters.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Rainbow
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Rainbow »

circular wrote:For one-cup coffee making I've turned to a stainless steel filter over my cup and making a pour over. I use the Bonavita water heater, fill it at night, get out of bed in the morning, turn it on (usually always set to 209), hit the 'hold the temperature button', go brush my teeth, and when I return it's ready to pour. Really very quick to make and clean and so good.

I use this one but there are others like it that don't require reusable filters.
This sounds like a great set-up! Thanks circular. I think I'll opt for something like this.
4/4
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Rainbow wrote: This sounds like a great set-up! Thanks circular. I think I'll opt for something like this.
The other thing I like is there's almost no waste with this approach, just the bags the coffee comes in. (I won't buy bulk coffee because of possible mold.)

I now use glass mugs so I don't have to worry about heavy metals leaching from ceramic ones, but that's a bit extreme since most major outlets will most likely have ceramic that doesn't leach metals. I miss using all my varied favorite mugs, so I bought a bamboo plant that fits inside a mug and put it next to the Bonavita, and then I change that mug with my mood :D
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

circular wrote:
Rainbow wrote: This sounds like a great set-up! Thanks circular. I think I'll opt for something like this.
The other thing I like is there's almost no waste with this approach, just the bags the coffee comes in. (I won't buy bulk coffee because of possible mold.)

I now use glass mugs so I don't have to worry about heavy metals leaching from ceramic ones, but that's a bit extreme since most major outlets will most likely have ceramic that doesn't leach metals. I miss using all my varied favorite mugs, so I bought a bamboo plant that fits inside a mug and put it next to the Bonavita, and then I change that mug with my mood :D
I was lucky to get the store's display Bonavita on sale.
Rainbow
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Rainbow »

circular wrote:The other thing I like is there's almost no waste with this approach, just the bags the coffee comes in. (I won't buy bulk coffee because of possible mold.)

Yeah, the low waste is great. It seems that in so many cases, having less environmental impact also corresponds to healthier living.

For mugs, I've started using empty glass jars. Got the idea from my favorite yoga studio — they use jars for serving water and tea. I like the minimalist aesthetic.

Bamboo plant in a mug sounds like a great idea!
4/4
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Rainbow wrote: For mugs, I've started using empty glass jars. Got the idea from my favorite yoga studio — they use jars for serving water and tea. I like the minimalist aesthetic.

Bamboo plant in a mug sounds like a great idea!
I'm surprised glass jars don't break with the hot beverage? Are these mason jars and heat resistant? I use the Bodum mug which is pricey but made from the fancy glass that doesn't break with hot beverages. I didn't know there was an alternative.
Rainbow
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Rainbow »

circular wrote:I'm surprised glass jars don't break with the hot beverage? Are these mason jars and heat resistant? I use the Bodum mug which is pricey but made from the fancy glass that doesn't break with hot beverages. I didn't know there was an alternative.
The jar I'm using at the moment used to contain coconut oil. So far, it's holding up!
4/4
lumia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by lumia »

Regarding water filter: I am puzzled as to why Brita--that I believe to be more or less pure carbon--remove more aluminum than Zerowater, which is mainly ion-exchange resin? I won't be surprise that the likes of Brita or Pur would contain a bit of ion-exchange resin, but still...

I am asking because I'm moving to another city soon, and I wonder whether I should replace my Cleansui pitcher--it uses ultrafiltration, which removes some other stuff better than other pitchers, but I can't say much of TDS in general...
laurie
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by laurie »

lumia wrote:Regarding water filter: I am puzzled as to why Brita--that I believe to be more or less pure carbon--remove more aluminum than Zerowater, which is mainly ion-exchange resin? I won't be surprise that the likes of Brita or Pur would contain a bit of ion-exchange resin, but still...

I am asking because I'm moving to another city soon, and I wonder whether I should replace my Cleansui pitcher--it uses ultrafiltration, which removes some other stuff better than other pitchers, but I can't say much of TDS in general...
When choosing a water filter you need to first identify what is in the water that you want to remove. If you want to remove aluminum which is a cation (positively charged ion) you must use a cation exchange resin. Brita is a combination of cation exchange resin and activated carbon. My husband has tested the Brita, Zero and Pur filters for removing aluminum and all remove 98.5% of the aluminum however only the Brita doesn't remove silica (OSA), Pur removed 8 % of the silica, Zero removed 93% of the silica. This is why my husband chose the Brita filter for the Silicade recipe.

The filter you mentioned cleansui does not have a cation filter therefore it will not remove aluminum or other toxic cations, such as mercury, lead and cadmium so it is good you are considering a new filter if you want to remove aluminum and other toxic metal cations. When you move check the treatment procedure for your drinking water as an aluminum salt may be used to treat the water. Also water delivery systems have cement lined and lead pipes that add aluminum and lead to the drinking water.

I hope your move goes smoothly.
Apoe 3/4

"True prevention is only possible by first discovering the cause of a disease such as Alzheimer's."
Dennis N Crouse