ORC Bio - Id Hormones?

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
buck3Maureen
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

ORC Bio - Id Hormones?

Post by buck3Maureen »

Is anyone taking bio-identical hormones that can be purchased over the counter? Such as on Amazon. Does anyone know if these are using the same ingredients that are used in compounding pharmacies? The reason I am asking is that I have been going to a doctor for about a year and a half and my target for hormones is always off -- sometimes way off. When the doctor makes her recommendation for correction, it always seems reasonable - but then things don't work out right. Not sure I trust the lab. I am not willing to take pharmaceutical grade hormones so my choices are drop it altogether, keep trying to get it right with my doctor, or try some products on my own.

Thanks,
Maureen
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Re: ORC Bio - Id Hormones?

Post by slacker »

If you post some of the Amazon products you are looking at, it will be easier to tell what the ingredients are. Compounding pharmacies whip together whatever the provider orders, typically pharmaceutical grade bioidentical hormones such as estridiol and progesterone. What do you mean by "pharmaceutical grade hormones?" What are you on now? Are you dosing your hormones about the same amount of time prior to when the test is run? What test is being run? Have you looked at the Dr Ann Hathaway presentation linked somewhere here on the site? Not a simple subject! I may have something half way intelligent to add once I have a better understanding of your situation.

(PS I'm about to leave town for 4 days, and will be off line. Others here can potentially help you navigate through as well or better...)
Slacker
E4/E4
buck3Maureen
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by buck3Maureen »

Hi Slacker, You may be gone by now -- but what I mean by 'pharmaceutical grade hormones' are those such as premarin as opposed to bio-identical hormones - that are made ( as I understand it from plant based phytoestragen.) Some of the products that I have found on Amazon include: Emerita Estriol Natural Balancing Cream, 4 Ounce, Best Seller
Product Details
(Paraben-Free) Natural Progesto-Life Cream. 4 Ounce Pump with 2000mg of Bioidentical USP Progesterone. For Women during Menopause, PCOS and TCC. For Hot Flashes, Mood Swings, and Vaginal Dryness.

if you enter estrogen, progesterone or testosterone a whole lot of products come up. So I wondered if anyone had any good or bad experience with them.

Maureen
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Hi Maureen, This is an old list, but quickest for me to access, of which FDA approved hormones are bioidentical. Based on discussion in the big HRT thread, I’ve changed from compounded estrogen and OTC progesterone, to Alora patch and Prometrium. They are both covered by my insurance after years of paying a compounding pharmacy after being told insurance wouldn’t pay for HRT. So far so good, and I like that the dosages are reliably controlled! I still use compounded testosterone cream.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
buck3Maureen
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by buck3Maureen »

Thanks Circular, that is good to know. My doctor finally got back to me today and does not believe the lab results are accurate. THe testosterone level would have been only normal for a young man. She said that if the results were accurate I would be very very angry and growing a beard. So I need to retest and not apply the hormones until after the blood test. I do trust and like her a lot. IF I continue to have problems I will definitely look into the medications you mention. I only have Part A medicare so nothing I get is covered.

Maureen
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

buck3Maureen wrote:... what I mean by 'pharmaceutical grade hormones' are those such as premarin as opposed to bio-identical hormones - that are made ( as I understand it from plant based phytoestragen.) Some of the products that I have found on Amazon include: Emerita Estriol Natural Balancing Cream, 4 Ounce, Best Seller Product Details (Paraben-Free) Natural Progesto-Life Cream. 4 Ounce Pump with 2000mg of Bioidentical USP Progesterone. For Women during Menopause, PCOS and TCC. For Hot Flashes, Mood Swings, and Vaginal Dryness.

if you enter estrogen, progesterone or testosterone a whole lot of products come up. So I wondered if anyone had any good or bad experience with them.

Maureen
Hi Maureen;

I would like to offer other definitions that may be more accurate or at least more generally recognized:

Bioidentical hormones - typically used to describe sex or gonadal hormones in female humans. They include B17 estradiol, estrone, estriol, and progesterone. They include standard prescriptions (ex. vivelle patch, estrace, and prometrium). Many of the standard prescription bioidenticals are generic, and therefore less expensive. Bioidenticals can also be created at a compounding pharmacy, allowing for more flexibility in dosing. Bi-est topical cream is a compounded combination of estradiol and estriol. I am not aware of prescription use of estrone. Premarin may be bioidentical for mares, but not women.

Pharmaceutical grade - medicine made at a facility that has permission to make specific products that are FDA approved and meet quality parameters. This would include human bio identical hormones and equine bio identical hormones.

Compounding pharmacy - able to provide more gradations and forms of dosing. They are not held to the same quality and inspection standards as a facility that produces “pharmaceutical grade” medicines. A prescription is still required.

Over the counter “medicines” and supplements - no FDA approval, no mandated quality control whatsoever. Some companies volunteer to be held to certain standards; they are in the minority.

OK - the two products you used as examples -

Emerita Estriol Natural Balancing Cream. I am not familiar with estriol being used alone for peri- or postmenopausal symptoms. I have not done a pubmed search to confirm my suspicion that there are no studies looking at safety or efficacy of estriol alone. Most studies look at estradiol, including cognitive studies that you will find imbedded in the tremendously long HRT thread. Stavia plans to have a wiki entry on hormone replacement at some point.

Natural Progesto-Life Cream. The standard dose of prescription progesterone is between 100 and 200 mg. This product uses as much as 10 times per dose. Humm…

I understand that cost is an issue, but the OTC products make me generally nervous for hormone replacement. There is some risk for breast and endometrial cancer with female hormone replacement. Working with a reputable and knowledgeable provider is critical. Is purchasing a plan D prescription plan an option for you?

Just my 2 cents.
Slacker
E4/E4