Anyone else doing a low saturated fat Ketogenic diet?

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Richard McG
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Anyone else doing a low saturated fat Ketogenic diet?

Post by Richard McG »

Fiver wrote:Hi kc. I'm really glad you posted this. After phasing in other parts of the program I started a keto-type diet one week ago too!

I'll have a second round of tests in a few weeks. If my LDL is still high my cardiologist is going to be pretty upset. My family is amused, so far.

I lost 4.5 pounds in 3 days. (Huh?) But that leveled off now. No idea if I'm in ketosis yet.

I'm really interested to hear from people who have done this for the long-term....
Funny I'm exactly where you are.....same results. LDL and Cholesterol were up a bit. The same diet......although I am eating 2 avocados a day....and probably more nuts. Lost initially about 20 pounds in about 45 days. 160 to 140. Have increased olive oils and good fats as much as possible. Up now to about 145 has been about 5 months. With my running and swimming hard to put on weight I find :(
52 years of age, 4/4, BMI ~19, Omad, No cognitive decline as of yet ;)
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

Richard McG wrote: Lost initially about 20 pounds in about 45 days. 160 to 140. Have increased olive oils and good fats as much as possible. Up now to about 145 has been about 5 months. With my running and swimming hard to put on weight I find :(
After my last extended fast, I was finding it hard to put on weight. Then I found Macadamia nuts and gained more than I wanted to...
Sonoma Mike
4/4
desertkat
Contributor
Contributor

Post by desertkat »

Lucy5 wrote:
Theresa wrote: I have also drifted away from the traditional calories in/calories out way of thinking (excess calories equals fat gain) to more the endocrine way of thinking (excess insulin equals fat gain). Don’t get me wrong, calories do matter, but source/quality of calories also matters a great deal.
Couldn't agree more, Theresa. It's that I remain puzzled as to how many here seem to be able to remain weight stable on what I'm guessing is a fairly low/moderate calorie intake. It's a struggle for me to maintain a decent BMI while eating the way I need to eat. We're all differently metabolically, and have to adapt, I know. But I continue to keep an eye out for what is/isn't working for others.
Hi Lucy, I too need to protect against weight loss with a low BMI usually @18.5, and share a very similar dietary philosophy. I try to take Gundry's advice of consuming a liter of EVOO/week to heart (and brain:) But also recently watched an interesting Bredesen video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sq7uVZ_0D3U) This is a lengthy video but is packed with great information! One thing he recommends for low BMI ketoflex diet participants is to allow sweet potatoes once weekly. He also suggested that APOE4s extend their overnight fast to 14-16 hours. I took the liberty of creating a delicious layered casserole of sliced sweet potatoes and sauteed leeks, fresh thyme, Redmond salt and ground pepper.
Quite delightful!
Richard McG
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Richard McG »

Fiver wrote:Found 16 hour fasting surprisingly easy. Gave up excess sugars, then settled on a diet that was 70-80% fat. Felt great. But whoa! All cholesterol number significantly elevated. I think it is too much sat fats. Didn't expect them to be hiding everywhere.
Ya same results here.....how much-saturated fats per day should a 4/4 be getting you think friends?
52 years of age, 4/4, BMI ~19, Omad, No cognitive decline as of yet ;)
Free at Sixty
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Free at Sixty »

I'm new at this and also find giving up coconut milk very hard. I just tried some bone broth in a mix of vegetables (fennel, onions and asparagus) that I used to add coconut milk to and it was surprisingly satisfying. What convinced me was the need to not only keep the sat fats low but avoid anything that is so sweet that it makes me crave more sweet, which coconut milk has always done to me. The bone both I got was from kettle fire or something like that and expensive to use straight but worth the money to make several better tasting meals. Good luck.
BTL-34
Contributor
Contributor

Post by BTL-34 »

So glad I found this thread!

I was going to make a post exactly like this in some of the Keto/Carnivore FB groups I'm in but hesitated because I knew instead of actual help I would get backlash that saturated fats are fine.

3/4 here and the past 16 months of high saturated fat carnivore hasn't been kind to my CAC score or LDL-P. I'll make a separate post about those to keep this one diet related.
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

BTL-34 wrote:So glad I found this thread!...3/4 here and the past 16 months of high saturated fat carnivore hasn't been kind to my CAC score or LDL-P. I'll make a separate post about those to keep this one diet related.
Hi BTL-34,

We're glad you found this thread also! It can be challenging to find conversations that have become inactive, which is why we recommend the "search" function, using the magnifying glass icon by your user name in the upper right corner of the page.

You also may like the info on LDL-P in the Wiki here:Cholesterol, Lipids and Treatments, including statins

An alternative to posting a new topic on CAC and LDL-P would be to re-activate this forum, which has embedded links from some of our most active members, and several Board members with deep knowledge of fats and LDL-P: I've stabilized my heart disease!

Often such members "subscribe" to a forum thread by clicking on the wrench icon in the upper left above the post text box. That sends an email notification to them (or you, if you subscribe) that someone has added to the topic. That can result in more view and more discussion!

Another recommendation is to "quote" the most recent post, or an earlier one in a thread to which you are posing. You start by clicking on the single quotation mark in the right hand of any person's post. Once you submit your reply, written underneath their post, they get an email with a link to it.

For more handy tips on how to navigate this site, check out our How-To wiki.

We hope you continue to post, since people like you who are self-hacking their diets and seeing results are some of our best sources of hard-won wisdom!
4/4 and still an optimist!