Anyone else doing a low saturated fat Ketogenic diet?

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Bhinebaugh
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Anyone else doing a low saturated fat Ketogenic diet?

Post by Bhinebaugh »

Mechelle wrote:Thank you Bhinebaugh--this is exactly the kind of info I was looking for... I had been considering running my data thru Rhonda's site (I discovered I was homo MTHFR thru Genetic Genie--so I know there are some good programs out there), but wasn't sure if it would be helpful or not. Thanks to your letter, I'll give it a try! BTW, I love Rhonda Patrick's videos--so full of graphics and info rich! (But often challenging for me to completely understand even thou I have a Master's in Science Education! ;-)).
Great Mechelle. I love Rhonda Patrick also and listen to all of her podcasts even though I am lost most of the time [emoji851]. Once you run your info through her app, you can keep doing it as many times as you like for free as she is constantly updating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mechelle
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Mechelle »

Thank you, Searcher!
PBW
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by PBW »

I feel like I still don't know how, as a 4/4, my body processes saturated fats , specifically organic A-2 butter, organic Ghee, A-2 cheese, Grass fed sheep's yoghurt, grass fed nonCAFO beef,lamb, &pork in a manner that elevates my large fluffy LDL's( over 200 at times) . Even when LDL's are highest the percentage of sdLDL is below 8% of total LDL and triglycerides are never higher than 60 and HDL's range from 100 to 130. Results are from VAP,Berkely Labs and Labcorp.
I have reduced my intake of the following greatly:
sheep's yoghurt-2 cups weekly(whole w/blueberries and walnuts for breakfast)
Butter and Ghee- 1-2times per week for cooking 1-2 Tablespoons
Cheese 1 oz several times per week only A-2 usually grass fed
Meat-3 0z 2-3 times per week
I retest lipids along with A1C, CRP, Insulin, homocysteine,fasting glucose, Alb/gl ratio in March after a year break from all tests and settling into most of the RECODE( hormones and leaky gut which I don't think I have issues excepted until tested) with "Plant Paradox "alterations to diet(no lectins, all A-2 diary, very reduced dairy and protein).
I am guessing the results will motivate me to completely eliminate saturated fats in meats and dairy. I no longer use Coconut oil or any other coconut product and stay in mild ketosis without MCT.
Taking all this into consideration, I agree with Slacker. I can not find any research or commentary from experts on how and why increased LDL's occur in processing saturated fats with many 4/4 alleles. If we could only understand that we could eliminate with folks like myself doing years of their own n=1 testing. I will let you know my results in a few weeks.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

PBW, will be interesting to see your labs - do share if you care to.

One thing about saturated fats is that they can suppress LDL receptor activity, resulting in reduced LDL clearance, and may also increase LDL production rate. E4s already have reduced LDL clearance, so saturated fats are a bit like piling on an underlying problem. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4744652/

Personally I do not eat dairy (casein allergy) but I do eat pastured (lean) beef, lamb and chicken.
PBW
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by PBW »

Thank you Susan. I will check out this research in the morning with fresh brain. I have been looking for years to find something to help explain the correlation with saturated fats and 4/4's. Hopefully this will clear up a lot in my head. I also eat pastured meat and if you are in the Salida/Buena Vista area you have access to many non CAFO ranches. I purchase my goat cheese from Buena Vista Goat farm. I have really reduced dairy tremendously but I am thinking after I get my test results I will eliminate all dairy. I will post my labs when I receive them.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Yep, I fortunately have access to pastured options including ranches in the San Luis Valley. Big reason I invested in a chest freezer, to buy in bulk. The only hit or miss is local pastured chicken, and when I can get it at the Farmer's market, it is astronomical.

I gave up cow's dairy in 1999, but still ate some goat and sheep cheese - oh how I loved sheep's feta on Greek salads and goat cheese on a beet salads! But I quit them all around 2009. I'm working my way back to try a little goat cheese someday because we do have those great goat farms in the area! And it's just hard for me to get the minimums of calcium without some type of boost now and then.

Will be interesting to see your lab results!
CarrieS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CarrieS »

SusanJ wrote:Personally I do not eat dairy (casein allergy) but I do eat pastured (lean) beef, lamb and chicken.
I too have a casein allergy and am sensitive to cow and goat milks BUT I've recently found that I can tolerate sheep's milk feta and romano cheese. I don't eat lots of it or everyday but can enjoy my Greek Salad with some feta again - oh my gosh, I'm in heaven! I've been buying the Authentic Greek feta in brine & romano from Trader Joe's. The romano gives me the opportunity to have a little grated cheese on my ceasar salad again.

I've made nut "cheeze" with cashews and almonds and fermented them a couple of days to get a tang. They don't melt well but are really good. This article jumped out at me the other day with a bunch of fun options to try. The aquafaba cheeze intrigues me. http://www.onegreenplanet.org/vegan-rec ... socks-off/
APOe4/4
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Certificate for Reversing Cognitive Decline for Coaches (FMCA)
Certified Fermentationist
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Thanks for the info, CarrieS!

I've done nut cheese in the past, too. Might just have to try some of those recipes.
PBW
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by PBW »

Hi Susan,
I just finished the research you recommended. Made myself focus as it was the most thorough I have read. For me it seems(for CVD at least) depending on the results I get next week, it makes the most sense to drop all red meat( lamb, pork, beef) I approx 3-4 oz , 3 times per week. The remainder of my protein comes from eggs, small fish, pastured chicken, nuts and glorious A-2 organic cheese including sheep and goat. The Goat curds at the dairy outside Buena Vista are wonderful in salads and brassica veggies!!!! Slowly I am trying to reduce my dairy intake. The research indicated meat was more of a factor than dairy. Surprised me. Anyway I will keep everyone posted after my labs come in. Thanks again.
Nobody
New User
New User

Post by Nobody »

PBW - did you check your labs? Wondering what happened.
Thomas Dayspring M.D. (well recognized lipidologist- lipidaholics case 291) points out that up to 1/3 of people on a ketogenic diet will see a huge bump in their LDL-cholesterol and more importantly their LDL-P because of saturated fat. I'm one of those. Can't find if this is related to APOE4 or not, but doesn't really matter. Everyone going Keto should check their LDL-P whether or not they are APOE4. If it is high, then it seems the first step would be drastically reducing saturated fat. I find that difficult because I love chocolate, and because almost all the Keto recipes use a variety of cheeses and coconut oil.