Anyone else doing a low saturated fat Ketogenic diet?

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Bhinebaugh
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Anyone else doing a low saturated fat Ketogenic diet?

Post by Bhinebaugh »

This topic has been so informative. I started doing keto diet and then realized according to my polymorphisms and apoe 4 status I should be doing low sat fat. I keep eliminating food from my diet. I am prediabetic also so I need to be careful. I wish there were more cookbooks and stuff out there on low sat fat keto. This stuff is hard and many times I completely give in - and eat anything I want but I keep going back to this. I also just did the prolong fasting mimicking diet for 5 days and it was not difficult at all. I do intermittent fasting 14 to 16 hours each day. I won’t do prolong again though only because of the cost. I was thinking about just doing bone broth next time. I’m a little afraid of losing too much weight as I am 5 ft 3” and 113 pounds. Thoughts on this? Also does anyone know of keto low saturated fat cookbook? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jan »

Mechelle wrote: ... All of my health markers have dramatically improved following this lifestyle. !
Mechelle, I agree with Slacker, it's an individual process.
Last edited by Jan on Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
mrc cfnc fmchc
IFM/Bredesen Reversing Cognitive Decline training 2017
E2/E2
What is, is. What is, can be changed.
Searcher
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Searcher »

Tincup wrote:it is not a big deal to eat a relatively low sat fat keto
Very true.

Whatever the science and logic that leads there, the action implications converge: low sat fat keto is more advisable than high sat fat keto, especially for E4 carriers.

This is one area ripe for N=1 testing by anyone who wants to be better informed about their own metabolism.

Anybody on a high sat fat keto diet with persisting undesirably high HbA1c and fasting insulin (as Mechelle reports) can try replacing a substantial part of the saturated fats with whole foods rich in unsaturated fats. The prediction is that fasting insulin and HbA1c will both decline (HbA1c over a few weeks, as new red blood cells replace the old ones).

For evidence (meta analysis of RCTs) about saturated fat and its impact on insulin resistance/glucose metabolism:

http://journals.plos.org/plosmedicine/a ... 02087-t002

For evidence on what effect saturated fats tend to have in the hippocampus of mammalian brains, especially E4 carriers:

http://europepmc.org/articles/PMC5341123/

The benefits of ketosis for cognition are at risk of being countered by the direct effect of high saturated fat on the hippocampus (cognition, epigenome and metabolism) especially in E4 carriers.

It would take fairly watertight scientific studies for such evidence to be refuted or contradicted. It seems wise to stay open to reliable refutation so that views can steadily be refined.
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

Bhinebaugh wrote:This topic has been so informative. I started doing keto diet and then realized according to my polymorphisms and apoe 4 status I should be doing low sat fat. I keep eliminating food from my diet. I am prediabetic also so I need to be careful. I wish there were more cookbooks and stuff out there on low sat fat keto. This stuff is hard and many times I completely give in - and eat anything I want but I keep going back to this. I also just did the prolong fasting mimicking diet for 5 days and it was not difficult at all. I do intermittent fasting 14 to 16 hours each day. I won’t do prolong again though only because of the cost. I was thinking about just doing bone broth next time. I’m a little afraid of losing too much weight as I am 5 ft 3” and 113 pounds. Thoughts on this? Also does anyone know of keto low saturated fat cookbook? Thanks!
One of our members is working on an organized list of recipes; in the meantime you can check out this thread.
You are right to be concerned about weight loss. Underweight and under nourished can cause cognitive problems. I myself am trying to up my plant based lower saturated fats - avocados, nuts, olive oil, fatty fish - to help with ketosis as well as weight gain/maintenance.
Slacker
E4/E4
Mechelle
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Mechelle »

I appreciate this info.! Also, Bhinebaugh wrote: "I started doing keto diet and then realized according to my polymorphisms and apoe 4 status I should be doing low sat fat." In this context, what are polymorphisms? Thanks in advance. I really appreciate the efforts of those who are writing these wonderful posts. I am learning a lot from this wonderful site! And, this is even more fun than just reading a book and not being able to ask questions!
jcosmo
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jcosmo »

I'm currently following a ketogenic diet with high saturated fat. When I started in July 2016, many of my markers improved, despite overall increase in LDL-C (particle size, increased HDL, small LDL < 90). When I tested again almost a year later, things were going in a bad direction, so I replaced a lot of saturated fat with monounsaturated fat. My HDL plummeted from 70 to 55, triglycerides rose from 98 to 194, and everything else mostly remained the same. (I added coconut oil back into my diet a month ago and retested a few days ago, but results aren't back yet.)

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
Adrian, 3/4
Mechelle
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Mechelle »

Thank you all for your responses! I love having more info! I feel very relieved.

Searcher: I'd never heard of of this concept before: "saturated fats enter your skeletal muscle cells and tend to interfere with the removal of glucose from your blood". I am totally intrigued. Can you tell me more about where this came from? I want to know more! Also, I regularly eat the foods you recommend, and glad you included them in your note--helps me know I'm on the right track. Thanks!

Tincup: Thanks for this info. I really like using tests, and I love that you included this data. I will get my coronary calcium score run. I've been wanted to do this, and now I have a good reason. I have had my oxLDL run, and it is great, so sounds like I just need the coronary calcium to be sure. Thanks for the link to Ivor Cummins--I have admired his work for many years.

Slacker: Thanks for clearly stating that there is no consensus on this issue, and that continuing to check personal signs is how to handle this. (And the kind reminder about how uncertain life is--we do the best we can). I was feeling a bit frightened because I had never heard of Sat Fat being bad in the keto-adapted state--and I was worried as I have been consuming high levels of sat fat for the last 6 years!
Bhinebaugh
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Bhinebaugh »

Mechelle wrote:I appreciate this info.! Also, Bhinebaugh wrote: "I started doing keto diet and then realized according to my polymorphisms and apoe 4 status I should be doing low sat fat." In this context, what are polymorphisms? Thanks in advance. I really appreciate the efforts of those who are writing these wonderful posts. I am learning a lot from this wonderful site! And, this is even more fun than just reading a book and not being able to ask questions!
Polymorphisms are variations of DNA sequence of genes that can alter the function of that gene in a good or bad way per Rhonda Patrick of Found My Fitness. I ran my 23 and Me data through her website app and it’s gives some good info on how your genes are affected by high fat etc. I’m not great in explaining it as I don’t have that scientific background but I think it’s helpful to get the info so you can be as informed as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mechelle
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Mechelle »

Thank you Bhinebaugh--this is exactly the kind of info I was looking for... I had been considering running my data thru Rhonda's site (I discovered I was homo MTHFR thru Genetic Genie--so I know there are some good programs out there), but wasn't sure if it would be helpful or not. Thanks to your letter, I'll give it a try! BTW, I love Rhonda Patrick's videos--so full of graphics and info rich! (But often challenging for me to completely understand even thou I have a Master's in Science Education! ;-)).
Searcher
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Searcher »

Mechelle wrote:Thank you all for your responses! I love having more info! I feel very relieved.

Searcher: I'd never heard of of this concept before: "saturated fats enter your skeletal muscle cells and tend to interfere with the removal of glucose from your blood". I am totally intrigued. Can you tell me more about where this came from? I want to know more!
Here you go, Mechelle.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC507380/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articl ... 972859.pdf

It's fairly basic and standard stuff in scientific circles.