Qs re: homocysteine-lowering vitamins

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
SGW811
Contributor
Contributor

Qs re: homocysteine-lowering vitamins

Post by SGW811 »

Back with questions re: supplements to decrease homocysteine levels. Please forgive me if these questions have been addressed elsewhere on this site. I did read Dr. Bredesen's book and the wiki on homocysteine (very helpful, thank you!) and I also did a search here on "homocysteine" but I still find myself a bit confused. It's a lot to absorb when you're a relative "newbie" and don't understand all the abbreviations and vocabulary.

A year ago I learned that I am an e4/e4. I am also heterozygous for MTHFR C677T. (I'm "normal" for MTHFR A1298C, or A/A.)

A year ago, my homocysteine was at 13. Ten months ago, a neurologist specializing in brain health prescribed the Virt Vite Forte vitamin to be taken daily. I looked it up online to see that this vitamin contains 2.5 mg folic acid (Vitamin B9), 25 mg pyridoxine HCl (vitamin B6), and 2 mg Cyanocobalamin (vitamin B12). He did not tell me to get the homocysteine levels re-checked. I see the neurologist again in 2 months.

At my physical a few days ago, I asked my internist for labs to see if 10 months on the Virt Vite Forte vitamin made any difference. I just got the result that my homocysteine is now at 10. I thought he ordered labs on the B vitamin levels as well, but it now appears that (although we discussed this), he didn't.

I've read Dr. Bredesen's book and the wiki re: homocysteine on this site, I understand that: (1) I need to try to lower this level to below 7; and (2) I should have been taking the "activated" forms of these vitamins. So I now want to switch to these.

My questions are:

1. Are the activated forms of B6, B12, and folate (in the recommended concentrations) over the counter, or do you need prescriptions for them?

2. If over the counter, are there particular brands that are recommended to use (or avoid)?

3. I have seen Susan J.'s and Dr. B's recommended "starter" doses. However, as noted, I have no labs as to my actual blood levels of B6, B12, and folate. I simply have the homocysteine level of 10. Is is recommended to get lab results on the B vitamins before starting supplementation? Or is it enough to know that my homocysteine level is too high and just start supplementing with these recommended starter dosages? Is there any "combination" vitamin (prescription or over-the-counter) with the recommended starter dosages?

Diet and exercise are good, and other markers (cholesterol, inflammation, glucose) are good. The homocysteine is was stands out for me.

Thank you for any advice you can provide.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Qs re: homocysteine-lowering vitamins

Post by SusanJ »

SGW811 wrote:I just got the result that my homocysteine is now at 10.
SGW, you can get the methylated versions OTC. I use Jarrow methyl folate and B12, and Pure Encapsulations P5P, but you'd be safe with any reputable company. I don't use a combo version because I want control over the individual amounts.

B vitamins are the first line of treating homocysteine, so you really don't need to wait. It's what any functional doctor would probably suggest to lower it. And it doesn't hurt to test your blood levels if possible and watch them over time. Sometimes you can get clues if the homocysteine isn't budging.

Good luck and I hope the methylated versions help get your levels to a good homocysteine level.
SGW811
Contributor
Contributor

Post by SGW811 »

Thanks for the helpful response!
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

I have taken Thorne Methyl-Guard Plus.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
apod
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by apod »

I've dabbled with the Seeking Health HomocysteX, HomocysteX Plus, and Active Folate lineup. I've also tried different formulations with individual B's.

On my methylation panel results, a lot of the polymorphisms light up RED / YELLOW.
mth.png
I keep coming back to just the Methyl-b12 and Methyl-folate combo. Adding more on top seems to have a slow-creeping irritability or edge to it for me.

Chris Masterjohn has written a few posts on methylation, where Glycine / Collagen and Creatine seem like useful supplements. Right now, I just take Creatine.

https://chrismasterjohnphd.com/2017/08/ ... ith-mthfr/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Yep, the irritability and edge are signs of pushing methylation too much and usually means too much folate. I can do up to 800 mcg of folate for a short while, but then have to move back down to avoid those brain effects (along with a buzz that can affect my sleep). That also means my homocysteine moves around a bit.

The Masterjohn's recent posts on MTHFR are a new avenue, and I'm personally trying choline (using sunflower lecithin) to spare methyl groups and more glycine (using Vital Proteins collagen peptides daily, not randomly as in the past) to balance things out with methionine. If that doesn't work for the homocysteine, then I'll throw in the creatine.
SGW811
Contributor
Contributor

Post by SGW811 »

"B vitamins are the first line of treating homocysteine, so you really don't need to wait. It's what any functional doctor would probably suggest to lower it. And it doesn't hurt to test your blood levels if possible and watch them over time. Sometimes you can get clues if the homocysteine isn't budging."

Susan J. - So it turns out that the doctor did order the Vitamin B12 testing. It came back high at 2112. Does this alter the dosages I should start with? I'm confused especially since I'll be switching to the activated vitamins.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

High doesn't always mean that it's too much. Sometimes it can mean it's not being used.

I would make the switch to the methyl forms, but don't increase the amount of B12 over what you're taking now. By using methyl-folate, your B12 might fall into line because it will be recycled properly. Run with that for a couple months and do another blood test if you can to see what the results are for homocysteine, folate and B12.
cwicker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by cwicker »

Thanks for the timely post SGW811. Just got back my homocysteine and it is 13 and I have a MTHFR variant but not the one that increases homocysteine so I am perusing vitamins at this moment and I've settled on a Prothera Active B complex
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

SGW811 wrote:"
Susan J. - So it turns out that the doctor did order the Vitamin B12 testing. It came back high at 2112. Does this alter the dosages I should start with? I'm confused especially since I'll be switching to the activated vitamins.
I can say that my doc, Steven Gundry, was not unhappy with a B12 test >2100. He has me on 10 mg/day of methylcobalamin B-12.
Tincup
E3,E4