MIND diet

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
KrisRich
Contributor
Contributor

MIND diet

Post by KrisRich »

First thank you for all the information it’s making me feel much better about being 4/4. Do you recommend this diet and Can you recommend a good recipe book on it? Thanks.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: MIND diet

Post by Julie G »

Hi Kris! The MIND Diet is a great start to transitioning towards a healthier diet. I got to see Dr. Martha Clare Morris present her findings in NYC several years ago. She took a dataset of patients from the Rush Memory and Aging Project (MAP), a study of volunteers living in retirement communities and senior public housing units in the Chicago area and gave them food frequency questionnaires to fill out. Those results were correlated against neurological exams and cognitive testing over a period of time. The foods associated with a slower rate of transitioning to AD formed the basis of the diet. Because the cohort was relatively disadvantaged, the quality of the food examined wasn't the best. For instance, fish "sticks" comprised the majority of seafood intake. That said, clear signals still emerged. This is a wonderful transition away from SAD (Standard American Diet) but likely not nuanced enough to be optimal.
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

MIND diet is good, Mediterranean Diet is good.

Some of us follow Plant Paradox Diet by Dr Steven Gundry. He’s treated/followed more ApoE4s than any other practicing doctor, (thousands over 17 years) although that’s not the main thrust of his practice. His book The Plant Paradox addresses how to eat to avoid disease in general. https://www.amazon.com/Plant-Paradox-Da ... nt+paradox . Dr Bredesen endorsed the book and even started the diet himself.

The book contains a list of Yes/No foods to eat and a number of recipes. He also has a follow-up cook book coming out on April 10th, The Plant Paradox Cookbook. https://www.amazon.com/Plant-Paradox-Co ... x+cookbook There are also a number of Facebook pages which followers have started for the purpose of sharing recipes and success stories.

Critics focus on his concerns with foods containing high amounts of lectins, but his concern is not unfounded, he addresses this in the book, and his diet is more sophisticated than just eliminating high lectin foods. His approach:
  • Minimizes insulin production
    Minimizes inflammation
    Minimizes sdLDL
    Addresses the gut biome and heals leaky gut
    Balances Omega 3s to 6s
    Eliminates endocrine disruptors
    Eliminates bad oils
    Emphasizes polyphenols
All of the above are issues of concern for ApoE4s. However, the book was written for the general population, so while good advice, if you want to additionally follow his advice for ApoE4s, visit the wiki https://www.apoe4.info/wiki/Dr_Gundry%27s_Protocol
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
Searcher
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Searcher »

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4532650/

"Even mild concordance to the MIND diet resulted in a statistically significant Alzheimer's disease reduction."

So, even if you get the MIND diet roughly right, you're likely to benefit.

"Annual evaluations by clinicians blinded to the dietary pattern scores"

Trials which report outcomes in ALL members of a cohort, with the evaluators NOT knowing the intervention used, are more reliable than selective reporting or reports where the evaluators know the intervention used. This study is one example.

I would go to amazon and leaf through reviews of MIND diet recipe books. If many people say the recipes are delicious, you'll probably enjoy this approach and be able to sustain it with minimal stress. Plus you'll be able to use delicious meals as a social occasion, which tends to boost the health benefits.

Please share your findings. We can all learn.
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

I forgot to mention that while the Plant Paradox book only touches on ApoE4, it does address causes and strategies for dementia and Alzheimer’s. And it's written in a manner that's easy to understand.
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
KrisRich
Contributor
Contributor

Post by KrisRich »

Thank you all so much. We have been using the Ayurveda diet some all the super spices and lots more veggies. My husband, son and i love the flavors. As soon as I found out I was 4/4 started checking all the information out I could find. My sister-in-law teaches Ayurveda and told me about your site. I love it so much to learn. I am going to check all the information above out. Thanks so much. I am not so worried now knowing I am doing my best to fight this. The biggest thing right now for me is to be able to walk outside again I am having xrays soon to see how much worse my back has gotten and to see if there is anything they can do for me. There is a Boot Camp Exercise Plan my Chiropractor told me about so just waiting to see if its time to do that. I walked for a couple miles every morning before work and when I retired I walked dogs for 3 years. I am afraid to walk around the block now not sure I can make it back with the pain. I think this diet and the vitamins I am taking should hopefully help. Thank you again for all your help and support!!!
Jan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jan »

Fingers crossed that you can start your walking regimen again soon, Kris. Don't forget making some time each day to just relax, to 'visualize' being able to do the things you want to do again, and to practice deep and steady breathing often. Our hearts are with you.
mrc cfnc fmchc
IFM/Bredesen Reversing Cognitive Decline training 2017
E2/E2
What is, is. What is, can be changed.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

KrisRich wrote:Can you recommend a good recipe book on it?
Just saw this post by a nutritionist, who provided an outline for the MIND diet. Not a cook book, but at least a guideline.

http://www.heraldnet.com/life/research- ... lzheimers/

A couple of my favorite food bloggers are https://againstallgrain.com/recipe-index/ and htps://elanaspantry.com/all-recipes/. Neither uses grains or beans, which are in the outline, but they both have lots of online recipes for free, along with cookbooks for sale.

I agree with Julie that it's a good place to start the transition from the Standard American Diet.
alangreenmd
Contributor
Contributor

Post by alangreenmd »

The MIND diet is excellent step in right direction in that based upon science. However MIND diet has one major problem for E4 community in that did not include APOE type. Therefore, MIND diet can be considered very good diet for the general population of E3/E2 persons in 58-95 age group for prevention of AD.

Looking at the Kivipelto 21 year study entitled, "APOE4 magnified lifestyle risk for dementia" and followed people in age group 50-71; Kivipelto found extreme difference in APOE4 carriers vs non-APOE4 carriers in risk in this middle-aged group. In particular saturated fats in highest quartile increased risk 11.3 fold compared to 1.1 for non-E4. Alcohol consumption in frequent vs never increased risk 7.4 fold in E4 carriers and DECREASED RISK 0.6 in non-E4.

This shows both alcohol and saturated fats had 10 fold greater adverse impact on E4 carriers vs non-E4 carriers in middle age group. When comes to adverse impact lifestyle and dietary factor; it's all in the details: age group and APOE type.

The previously discussed Nordic diet was extraordinary in that looked at APOE status.

The MIND diet appears very good as regards fruits, vegetables and grains. However, being E4 carrier, Kivipelto study would suggests that you should modify MIND by elimination of alcohol and decrease the amount of saturated fats and red meat.

Your approach of studying papers published in science journals is excellent. The MIND diet is good in that based upon science; just not based upon the science of risk regrading E4 carriers.

As regards diet, the single most important thing to know is BEWARE all advice not based upon long term population studies. MIND is based upon a 5 year large scale population study; so an excellent starting point.
KrisRich
Contributor
Contributor

Post by KrisRich »

Thank you all very much!!!