AD Blood Test Research Teleconference

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: AD Blood Test Research Teleconference

Post by Julie G »

Has no one else listened to the teleconference or read the transcript from Dr. Federoff??? The notion that STATINS could be responsible for the drop in lipid metabolites that precedes Alzheimer's felt really big to me. To be honest, I found it rather unbelievable that that possibility hadn't been ruled out...This could have HUGE implications.

I'd love to hear your thoughts :D
Gina99
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gina99 »

Julie, I did get to listen to the entire teleconference the day it was on. I made two pages of notes but some of this way over my head. I thought interesting when one caller (I dont recall the name either a reaearcher and/or Dr) asked if this isnt a symptom of the disease, a neuro degenerative process . It seems to me all these symptoms are either a process of the disease or just processes going awry and there may be a chance to alter the direction. As for the 10 lipids he mentioned I see your point, but in my n=3 experiment, 1 took statins, 2 did not. of the 2 that did not, 1 has AD. This is definately a complicated process. I also was empathetic to Dr Federoff explaining no you cant go get the test we are still researching this. I heard desperation in people as they asked their question. Broke my heart to hear that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

So happy you got to hear the call too, Gina. YES, it was heartbreaking to hear such desperation in people's voices. We are certainly not alone in trying to prevent this.

The idea that lowered lipids could possibly be a result of the disease process makes good sense. ApoE4 carries and delivers lipids poorly; hence our extra susceptibility :?: Could AB plaque and tau tangles so gum up the works to the point that lipid homeostasis is impaired?

Thanks for sharing your N=3 observation. Is one of the Ns your Mom? Trust me, I realize it's complicated, BUT I was dumbfounded that they hadn't taken cholesterol lowering medication into account :shock: And, I'm aware that there are studies showing it's neuro-protective and studies showing it's not... Sigh.

I'm really intrigued with this group and plan to follow their progress.
bentkat
Contributor
Contributor

Post by bentkat »

I missed the link to the transcript but now that I'm aware of it I'll read the transcript this weekend, in-between meals. :lol:
Gina99
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gina99 »

Julie, yes one is my mom. Anyway i hear you on the statin but i think researchers dont take a lot into account when they do research. Even for example i read one that said something like oh we dont know if the subjects took any vitamins or not. we didnt ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Wow, Gina. Is she still taking a statin? If not, when did she take it & when did she stop? Any idea of what her cholesterol was like prior to & with a statin? Apologies for all of the questions...but having a cognitively normal 96 y/o 4/4 to study is a gold mine ;) Thanks for sharing.