Marty Kendall's Nutrient Optimiser app

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
apod
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Marty Kendall's Nutrient Optimiser app

Post by apod »

I came across this talk today:
Marty discusses how he has used data from the food insulin index and applied multi criteria analysis to determine the optimal diets to suit particular nutritional goals. He has used this data to create the 'Nutrient Optimiser' algorithm which formulates a personalised health fingerprint for optimising nutrition.
Looking at some options for nutrient dense foods, the site recommended checking out:

* eggs (particularly egg yolks)
* kefir & cream cheese (low fat)
* basil, dill, tarragon, curry powder, paprika
* hazelnut oil, cod liver oil, grapeseed oil
* rhubarb, blackberries, mulberries, raspberries
* endive, watercress, chicory greens, spinach, asparagus
* sunflower seeds, brazil nuts, coconut water
* crab, lobster, fish roe, oysters
* tofu, natto, lupin seeds
* wheat bran, oat bran

After I let the site know that I wanted to eat HFLC, it then recommended:

* feta cheese
* sage, marjoram
* italian dressing, mayonnaise,
* olives, avocado
* portabello mushrooms, coriander, escarole
* flax seed, pumpkin seed, sesame seeds, peanut butter
* liver
* corn bran

Interestingly, 5/7 of the recipes listed under "optimal recipes for you" were variations on bulletproof coffee...
Screen Shot 2018-02-11 at 4.31.54 PM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lindy
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Marty Kendall's Nutrient Optimiser app

Post by Lindy »

Hi Apod, I'm a newbie, pretty fresh off the boat, so please forgive my ignorance. I spotted the soy in your list and started to wonder. Dr. Bredesen's book puts legumes in the "yellow light" category, kind of "eat only if necessary" is how I read it. Dr. Gundry says not to eat them at all. Since I am trying to transition from being a high-carb low-fat vegetarian, and trying to maximize the "green light" foods, I am uncertain whether I can continue to have tofu and soy milk as I used to (soy was a staple of my diet for protein reasons). As an E4/E4, I need to stick to best practices but It would be a radical (and a bit depressing) change for me to let go of soy altogether. Do you know whether that's what the good doctors intend?

This is the sort of thing I relied on in the past for dietary guidance:

"Soy
Beans in general are great sources of anti-inflammatory botanical compounds known as phytonutrients, but soy has been singled out by researchers for its ability to reduce the inflammation marker C-reactive protein, says Wendy Bazilian, DrPH, RD, author of The SuperfoodsRx Diet. This is great news for your heart—high levels of C-reactive protein have been linked to coronary artery disease. Another bean benefit: the protein-rich, satisfying legumes are good candidates to displace pro-inflammatory meat in meals."

https://www.prevention.com/food/food-re ... on/slide/3
APOE-ε4/ε4 on the voyage of discovery.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Marty is a good guy. Our mutual friend, Dr. Jeff Gerber, had me be a test case for Marty's program (because Jeff thought the ApoE4 version of Gundry's diet was "out there" so a good test case). Because Gundry has us limit animal protein, our diet did not score particularly high on Marty's ranking.

I think he's done good work. You just have to take into account any other objectives beyond nutrient density (such as low lectin in our case).
Tincup
E3,E4
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

apod wrote:I came across this talk today:
Lindy wrote:Hi Apod, I'm a newbie, pretty fresh off the boat, so please forgive my ignorance. I spotted the soy in your list and started to wonder. Dr. Bredesen's book puts legumes in the "yellow light" category, kind of "eat only if necessary" is how I read it. Dr. Gundry says not to eat them at all.
Hi Lindy;

Being somewhat familiar with apod's dietary habits from reading many of his earlier threads, I believe he is sharing this resource but not necessarily agreeing with it. When I read that 5 of 7 "optimal recipes" included bullet proof coffee, I wondered what company was sponsoring the app! Not exactly eating closer to nature...

Any dietary changes you decide to make can be taken step by step. Legumes are in the Bredesen yellow category due to their higher than ideal glycemic index for reaching ketosis. Gundry recommends avoidance of legumes to due to lectins. Legumes are a cornerstone food and protein source for vegans. You can decide to continue organic minimally processed soy products for now. Later you can decide to reduce or eliminate them. Most of us tweak as we go, being guided by our biomarker results and how we feel. Looking at the long term goal can be helpful. You just got started. Breathe!

PS. Tincup posted while I was writing. I think we give a similar perspective.
Slacker
E4/E4
Lindy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lindy »

Thanks, Slacker! I appreciate this advice. One day at a time...

Lin
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Hi Lindy,

My understanding is that in Japan, where soy has traditionally been consumed in high amounts, it is fermented. The fermentation process would help deactivate the anti nutrients such as lectins. I believe Dr Gundry allows tempeh, which is a fermented soy product. You could also turn to miso soup and soy yogurt. Maybe you can make a soy milk keifer? I’ve never seen that on store shelves. Soy is a subsidized agricultural product in the US, so our good supply has been inundated with it but in non-fermented forms.

I’ll look into the c-reactive protein effect, since I need more help bringing that down, but I would stick to fermented without sending carbs too high, and I would see if I could ferment using pressure cooked soy milk or beans, which will also help destroy the lectins.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

circular wrote:Hi Lindy,

My understanding is that in Japan, where soy has traditionally been consumed in high amounts, it is fermented. The fermentation process would help deactivate the anti nutrients such as lectins. I believe Dr Gundry allows tempeh, which is a fermented soy product. You could also turn to miso soup and soy yogurt. Maybe you can make a soy milk keifer? I’ve never seen that on store shelves. Soy is a subsidized agricultural product in the US, so our good supply has been inundated with it but in non-fermented forms.
I concur with Circ. Gundry does allow fermented soy (like tempeh). He also will allow legumes to be pressure cooked to lower the lectin activity, at least for those who aren't too reactive to the lectins.
Tincup
E3,E4
Lindy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lindy »

Circ (may I call you Circ?) and Tincup,

Switching from tofu to fermented soy is a lot easier to digest (ha) than giving soy up altogether. The idea of soy kefir is intriguing.

Thanks for your encouraging ideas!

Lindy
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

I'd make it organic, too...
Tincup
E3,E4
apod
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by apod »

My takeaway from the site was that I could incorporate more endive and fresh pesto into my salads, and more watercress smoothies / mushrooms on carbier days. Lately, I'm starting to see pesto as a sort of superfood condiment. I still use Tamari on occasion, with some miso and tofu here and there for variety, but I might go weeks between having them. I do a similar thing with beans / dairy, although I tend eat them much more sparingly.